Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Prog Underrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 16:55
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Misterrr Ken, now you take vacation, ok? Wacko

this is what revising prog folk band bios will do to you LOL

Edited by kenethlevine - April 12 2018 at 16:55
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 10:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

IMO prog is rated exactly right by the public at large.  Years of trying to turn friends on to some of my favorite prog has largely fallen on deaf ears, if you will.  Like a friend caustically told me years ago, and I admit he was right, "You think that the music you like would be loved if people just heard it, but they have heard it, and they've rejected it."  He wasn't just talking about my prog favourites but that was obviously a big part of it.  Since then I rarely try, but if I do, I certainly have no expectations.  
I believe that prog has had its public hearing and only a small percentage of the populous has embraced it. Where I think we ere is believing that prog will get a second hearing and that the outcome will be better the second time around. The gods have already spoken and have sided with the other forms of rock. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 11:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

IMO prog is rated exactly right by the public at large.  Years of trying to turn friends on to some of my favorite prog has largely fallen on deaf ears, if you will.  Like a friend caustically told me years ago, and I admit he was right, "You think that the music you like would be loved if people just heard it, but they have heard it, and they've rejected it."  He wasn't just talking about my prog favourites but that was obviously a big part of it.  Since then I rarely try, but if I do, I certainly have no expectations.  
I believe that prog has had its public hearing and only a small percentage of the populous has embraced it. Where I think we ere is believing that prog will get a second hearing and that the outcome will be better the second time around. The gods have already spoken and have sided with the other forms of rock. 

It DOES seem rather hip to revisit older trends, and kind of claim they're new and progressive again, right?

Sort of like horseshoe philosophy. Everything's cyclical.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 11:26
To be fair, prog has had a second and third public hearing and if it hasn't caught on by now, then when will it?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

To be fair, prog has had a second and third public hearing and if it hasn't caught on by now, then when will it?

It won't. Simply put, the majority of the downloading public (only old f*cks like you and I actually still buy CDs) do not have the patience or mental capacity to sit and listen to a song over 5 minutes long. Patience has been weened out of the public: people read less (Leo Tolstoy? Victor Hugo?  Forget about it!), they prefer short snippets of information on Facebook or Instagram, and a performer better damn well be able to vomit the entirety of a song into a digestible video clip suitable to be viewed in the time between chats that consist of a series of acronyms, phonetic approximations of words and emojis.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 14:26
I really don't buy that at all Greg... if but for my own personal experiences with today's kids and exposing them to what I like... the downloading generation hasn't got stupid.. just overwhelmed by the shear amount of music and the breakdown of tags and labels. Raff and I see lots of kids digging today's new prog/progressive scene.. will you see them flocking to this site.. seeing the 'light' and becoming 'prog fan' hell no...  it is just music to them. Good music they dig.. the bad sh*t they have no time for.

Edited by micky - April 14 2018 at 14:29
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:14
Yep.  The kids are alright. 

The other day, my niece just asked me for my suggestions with Red Hot Chili Peppers.  If good music does not find them, they will find it. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:22
amen brother.. and damn good to see you around Jim. Been a bit...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:24
Hey Mick

Havin' a blizzard here.  Taking the opportunity to tie one one.  Tight as a bow.  Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:25
Very funny. 

I have not encountered one Captcha at all recently.

The moment I respond to the Mick....a double Captcha lands on me.  WTF
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:26
yeah I saw that sh*t on the news... crazy stuff.. even for that neck of the woods... 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Very funny. 

I have not encountered one Captcha at all recently.

The moment I respond to the Mick....a double Captcha lands on me.  WTF

hahahahha.. yeah.. I am bad Jim... I haven't improved a bit. Among others and other things Captcha and I aren't on speaking terms...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:34
What the f**k is "check all bridges"

There were no bridges.  I Checked somethign that looked like crisscrossing structure.  Somehow, it worked.  God help me. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:40
yeah that is one of my favorites... the bridges that aren't bridges one

good thing PA's and drinking go hand in hand.. like you.. fully loaded.. Bridges that aren't bridges.. and Captcha in general makes sense. Haven't missed one of those yet..  perhaps the key is altering one's sense of reality and preception. I'm too old for drugs.. but booze works just as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:46
Right, right. 

The key to Captchas ends up being....get drunk! 

And we questioned Max's genius?  

I'm with you on the drink.  But I know you have Cigs over there.  That makes me insane.  Knowing that my body is still alive and denying myself the pleasure of a Pall Mall or Camel straight.  We're all going to be dead in a couple decades, naturally.  Yet, the Mick is having a ball with his Winstons.

I'm sitting here dying for a cig.  Grrrr......
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:54
yeah..  but you might have missed...  I am not 10 feet tall and bulletproof.. I had to go to the ER last fall. Thought I was having a stroke, heart attack or some sh*t like that... was nothing of the sort.. apparantly nerural related and something with a disk in my neck...but did get me on the wagon for several months till I smacked myself and reminded myself that I am likely to die in a explosion or get fried much sooner than hard livin' is going to do me in. So f**k it... enjoy life while you have it.. I saw my best friend get electrocuted a couple of weeks ago Jim.. damned thing I've seen.. and I've seen some bad sh*t.. thankfully I was there and kicked off off of the ladder and broke teh circuit or he would have been a dead man. Trick is.. we usually work alone. Hard to really worry about the years in advance when you could easily be gone today or tommorrow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 15:58
Wow.  I've heard about people being electrocuted, but I've never seen it up close.  So good that you were there to kick it off. 

At this point, I don't know what I'm saving myself for.  The wheels are coming off every wagon.  At this point, the most logical thing I could do is pick up a carton of Camels.  Enjoy it while you have it.  Indeed. 

Bless, Mick.  Cheers.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 16:05
yeah.. it is bad stuff man.  Got hit by a capacitor bank in a phase inverter we were working on. Funny he was kidding me on being on my 10th life.. but I do have 20 years in the trade, one war, one drug and alcohol filled recovery from said experience, and to top it off one demented red headed Satanist ex-wife on him.. anyhow he considered himself only on his 3rd.  First thing I said to him when he got off the floor was... welcome to your 4th hahahaha

and back at ya Jim. Beer Good to see you around.

Edited by micky - April 14 2018 at 16:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 16:20
Thanks, dude.  Hang in there!Ying Yang
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 05:20
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

You can have fun, be youthful, energetic, soulful and passionate whilst still thinking. You must be an advertising executive's wet dream...Oblivious, the fragrance for south of the (red)neck. There is nothing more pitiful than a nostalgia for something that never happened in the first place. I don't know anyone whose opinions I respect who takes Prog seriously or think it remotely intellectual. They would however, kick your disingenuous ass in a bar brawl (no contest)LOL

Kinda weird to see this, and realize that the "progressive" and "prog" that we discuss here is not an American thing that you would discuss in a bar, but something that you also would discuss in a Paris Café, or some sort of place in Rome, or Tokyo ... and I'm sorry ... the town that your bar belongs in, does not fit in this discussion because they only know one kind of music. In NY, many bars, and even other night clubs (usually) have a decent respect for other musicians and music. In SF, this is not an issue either. But it will likely be a problem in Podunk, Askansaw or Needles, Tennessee where they think that their country music is GOD and the rest of music is crap, anyway ... and why the heck, in the furthest reaches of my mind and universe, would you be silly enough (or drunk) to even be discussing "prog" or "progressive" over there?

I am thinking that your ideas need some readjusting. It may not be a discussion here, but I'm not sure you see/realize the possibilities elsewhere. Prog/Progressive is no different than many art scenes out there the world over. We might not be as big/famous as most rap ... but then, we have lasted over 50 years, and I think that most rap will be forgotten and not played out loud and clear, like we -- and others no doubt -- DO!

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>