Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGhosts of Pompeii

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ghosts of Pompeii
    Posted: March 31 2018 at 13:00
From Prognosis.com...

During the 1970's, Joseph Shingler was the keyboardist for the theatrical Prog/Rock group based out of the mid-west (Indiana) called Vesuvius. Decades later, Joseph Shingler retutned to the creation of progressive rock and addopted the name Ghosts Of Pompeii in honor of his past excursion into progressive music.
Ghosts of Pompeii is, according to the artist, "A tonal experiment in melody, harmony, nature, and rhythm, cross-pollinating and fusing genres to create a distinctive style apart from others in the progressive rock field. The music is firmly in the old school progressive rock genre with elements of jazz-fusion, avant-garde, aggressive electronics, and filmscore".

I listened to a few tracks of his on MySpace and it caught my attention.  Problem is, I can't find his albums for sale anywhere.  Besides the tracks on MySpace, you can listen to some tracks on SoundClick...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=165153

Anybody know where I can track down CDs or MP3s ???
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 18:09
as you probably know.. Greg Walker is THE person to talk to when it comes to finding albums. He helped me track down and get a very rare Australian band and their only album that I had fallen in love with when evaluating via mp3 for addition here

Edited by micky - March 31 2018 at 18:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 22:57
The little I heard just now sounded good. Then again I like keyboard oriented stuff like that.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 07:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

as you probably know.. Greg Walker is THE person to talk to when it comes to finding albums. He helped me track down and get a very rare Australian band and their only album that I had fallen in love with when evaluating via mp3 for addition here

Well... I plead ignorance.  I don't know Greg.  How do I get in touch with him?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 07:22
well captcha being a bitch this morning.

You might not recognize the name but perhaps you do his site and might have checked it already. If you don't see it there try to email him directly and perhaps he can help you find it. Really nice guy if you haven't met him and a real fountain of knowledge.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 07:46

You might not recognize the name but perhaps you do his site and might have checked it already. If you don't see it there try to email him directly and perhaps he can help you find it. Really nice guy if you haven't met him and a real fountain of knowledge.

Thanks! I will try that route.

I did find some MP3 downloads on the SoundClick site.  It's a mish-mash of 10 songs from several different albums, and it's only 128kbps.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 07:58
Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 08:19

I just wish there was more time in the clock for me to check out so many of these things ... sites like this are massive and important, and a lot easier to maneuver than the behemoth of PA, and I STILL can not sort out a list or two in PA properly. Probably too geek'y for me ... and the way it is setup in this location is much easier to follow and learn about. 

Sometimes, the simplest things, are the best. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 08:30
I haven't shopped there in years Pedro..  I used that site vigerously back in the day when filling out the shelves with classic prog. However since then ..especially when Raff and I merged our rather extensive yet divergent collections I really haven't needed to order from him. However the way I remember he had the site laid out was very easy to use and find just what you were looking for. These days I mainly order new stuff and obviously use the websites of the artists/labels directly to order them.  I remember him having pretty much everything.. everything that was available.. and even what he didn't have.. he could help you find... the real obscure stuff which is why I turned to him to help me find that Aussie group.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 09:14
I discovered that Joseph Shingler of Ghosts of Pompeii has been somewhat active (as of this past January) on the Progressive Ears forums using the handle... you guessed it... ghostsofpompeii.  Duh.  Go figure.  I sent a private message.  Hopefully he'll get back to me.

Still interested in what Greg finds.  He has an interesting site.  I remember visiting it a long time ago.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 09:48
cool... here's hoping you have some luck! Who knows.. guy may have a 100 unsold complementary copies of the album in his basement.. might toss you one just for the effort or liking what you've heard haha.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 10:03
Yeah, Greg Walker is a really nice guy. I actually know him pretty well and have bought a lot of stuff from him over the years(as well as Ken Golden). He does know a lot and is a big fan of Eloy. I'm not crazy about his website(he really should have it redone) but that's a minor complaint. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 14:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah, Greg Walker is a really nice guy. I actually know him pretty well and have bought a lot of stuff from him over the years(as well as Ken Golden). He does know a lot and is a big fan of Eloy. I'm not crazy about his website(he really should have it redone) but that's a minor complaint. 

Indeed! Greg's a funny guy, too. I've enjoyed many joke-laden conversations and emails with him for 20+ years. He moved to Utah so I've not seen him in person since 2002.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 15:18
^ He goes to most of the prog festivals. I always see him at Rosfest. Anyway, people(especially those on here) need to stop buying from amazon and bandcamp or whoever and start buying from him. The problem is he doesn't promote his business much(like most prog vendors don't seem to)and so hardly anyone(unless they have been buying from him for years)seems to know about synphonic. 

Also, I don't doubt he's funny but I haven't noticed it much from our conversations. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 01 2018 at 15:19
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 15:28
sad to see he no longer makes it out to Progday.. can't blame him though.. crowd sizes probably don't make it worth the expense and we all know how bad that Carolina heat and humidity can be outdoors.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 18:51

I think his website is the best of all the prog oriented sellers, but I realize that may not be saying much.  I like his dividing bands up by country, which is do important in prog.  The search function is also decent
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 20:34

sad to see he no longer makes it out to Progday.. can't blame him though.. crowd sizes probably don't make it worth the expense and we all know how bad that Carolina heat and humidity can be outdoors.

I wasn't aware of that. I actually think he still goes sometimes. It just depends. Several of the other prog vendors stopped going for good though(mostly because of the heat). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 20:39
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I think his website is the best of all the prog oriented sellers, but I realize that may not be saying much.  I like his dividing bands up by country, which is do important in prog.  The search function is also decent

The country thing is good but there's no shopping cart and no way to automatically check out. You have to send him an email. On the one hand that's good because you get to see if the title is still available but other than that his website seems behind the game(at least to me)compared to the others. Some of the other dealers have good deals but personally are more or less curmudgeons in person and don't have the friendly vibe Greg has. Any good sales person knows that he/she is selling themself first and the product second. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 01 2018 at 20:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 06:24
Greg has no inventory of Ghost of Pompeii.  He knew Joseph Shingler and tried to email him, but the email bounced back.  I found another email after some digging, and it worked!  Joseph contacted me and explained that his CD manufacturers were all "burn on demand" and that they have gone out of business.  There is no inventory lying around for purchase.  He did, however, offer to send me a compilation CD that he sends to those people who express interest in his music.  I'll never get all 9 CDs he's produced, but at least I can enjoy what is available.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 09:18
Well, that's good. It's too bad it's not more widely available. There are other similar albums out there or even ones that maybe aren't too similar but still worth checking out. Have you ever heard Systems Theory? Definitely worth looking into.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>