Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Kinesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Kinesis
    Posted: April 01 2018 at 15:18
A long-time prog shop, Kinesis CDs is going out of business.  I first started shopping with them in 1997 and have been a regular customer ever since.  My first order included Rocket Scientists' Brutal Architecture and Iluvatar's Children, still two of my favorite prog albums from the 90s.  I noticed over the past few months, there hasn't been much in the way of new releases on the site and in the past two weeks there have been none.  And then this morning, I saw this on their website, and I don't think it's an April Fool's prank. 

Clearance Sale, and The Reason There Is a Clearance Sale

If you were wondering about the dearth of new releases on this site, and even if you weren’t, the time has come to pull the plug on this business. There were several reasons for this decision, but it was really only a question of when. One clue:

Infographic: The Rise and Fall of the Compact Disc | Statista

Kinesis began as a CD label in 1991, on the thrilling left side of this bar graph. The far right side of this graph has been considerably less gratifying.

There are a couple new titles still in the pipeline that should appear before May, otherwise we’ve halted new purchases. However, this site will remain in operation indefinitely as there’s a lot of inventory here. To do something about that, we’ve reduced the prices of hundreds of titles, on all pages of this site. In most cases, those now priced $9.99 or lower have SALE! next to them, so you can do an in-page search on “SALE!”. On the United States page, where CD prices tend to be lower to begin with, the vast majority of CDs are now $9.99 or below (and the SALE! tag is probably more annoying than useful). So to see the many sale titles, you’ll need to browse every page because every page has some. There are far too many to move to a single sale page. We may reduce a few more prices after the carpal tunnel pain subsides, but many titles are down to 1-2 copies and will not be restocked.

We’re also putting numerous one-copy-only CDs from the “Kinesis archives” up on the site as time permits. It’s slow work, but it means more titles will appear. They just won’t be on the main page because we can’t put a title there if only one copy is available.

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 15:22
yeah CD sales have been down for years.. what was interesting news was that digital sales are falling even faster than CD units.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 15:53
I guess illegal downloading is taking over the music business.  That's sad.  Either that or people just aren't as into music as they used to be. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 16:00
music is so cheap these days Chester... I doubt it is worth the time or effect to save a buck to steal it. I would have to guess that music is all that important to many anymore. Hard to say... I wonder how much of those numbers take into account independent productions or self produced.  Or are they numbers reported by the big labels. I went into quite a monologue earlier about the death of rock music and how it is going underground.. led by independents and self produced bands.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 16:21
Yeah, the death of rock music is something the wife and I talk about quite a bit.  Music has gone downhill.  In fact, aside from prog, there aren't really many new bands worth listening to.  I think I like a couple of hard rock/metal and a couple of retro classic rock sounding bands that came out after 1995, but that's about it, aside from prog.  I think probably most of the music isn't interesting enough to really draw people in, at least the mass produced stuff.  And the underground stuff doesn't have the exposure I guess.  So people are losing interest in music, unless they're fanatics like we are. 

But, it is sad to see a prog dealer go out of business. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 16:25
^ You could start going back through your collection and rediscover stuff.   But yeah, rock is in bed and not feeling well at all.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote january4mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 19:19
Wow, this is terrible news! Larry has been really good to me over the years. Thanks for posting this as I had no idea this was going on.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 20:44
Probably an April Fools prank. This would not be the day to make such a serious announcement. Anyway, I just looked and the site seemed normal with no indication of going out of business. Only time will tell for sure I guess. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 20:55
I would think that too, and I kind of hope you're right.  But, the fact that there hasn't been much in the way of new stock coming into his shop make's me think this probably isn't.  And if you look on the first page here: http://www.kinesiscd.com/storeframe1.htm and click on the words "clearance sale" at the top it will take you to the page I copied and pasted.  We'll see.  Maybe I'll check tomorrow and he'll have "April Fool's" posted.  And I'll breathe a sigh of relief.  But I'm not holding my breath.

To january:  Yeah, I've been a customer since 1997 and go to his site 3 or 4 times a month to check to see what's new and end up ordering several times a year from him.  Will miss that. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 20:55
Ok, I see it now. Maybe it isn't an April Fool's joke. Still, it's a peculiar day to make such an announcement. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 21:16
I found it peculiar myself.  I guess tomorrow will tell the tale. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 07:11
I suppose I am guilty of contributing to this with my $10/month spotify subscription.  I decided it was a better way to spend $120 than to by 6 CDs.  I'd be curious to see the same graph but for vinyl.  I sold almost all of mine in 2012 and I bet that was just as it was about to make its big comeback.  waaaaah!
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clepsydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 17:49
Very sad indeed!
I LOVE cds. I bought a ton of them from Larry.
I guess I am glad that Greg Walker is still around - THANK GOD!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 17:52
Yep, we still have Greg Walker(synphonic)as well as the laser's edge and wayside. I believe ZNR is still around too but they are sort of under the radar and don't update their site much it seems. Not sure what other prog vendors are still floating around. There's also Doug Larson(almost forgot about him)who does it part time and specializes in obscure sixties and seventies prog and psych. These guys are the last of a dying breed I'm afraid. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 17:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I suppose I am guilty of contributing to this with my $10/month spotify subscription.  I decided it was a better way to spend $120 than to by 6 CDs.  I'd be curious to see the same graph but for vinyl.  I sold almost all of mine in 2012 and I bet that was just as it was about to make its big comeback.  waaaaah!

No, vinyl was well under way in the comeback stage by then. In fact it never really went away but it started to really make a comeback by 2010(if not sooner). 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 21:12
Never used it, but still a shame to read. RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
MRR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 22:05
Every day an online store, a brick and mortar store or a label closes is a sad day for music. The music business is evolving every moment of the day. As a label I find myself asking why I would do this in the current music climate and my answer is always the same, its because of the music and we have always fought for the underdog to be heard.
"Music You Didn't Know You Would Love" © 20004/2024
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 14:28
I've received no emails from Greg Walker for many months and his website hasn't been updated in a long time. Does anyone know if Greg is OK?
PROGMATIC
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 12:05
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I've received no emails from Greg Walker for many months and his website hasn't been updated in a long time. Does anyone know if Greg is OK?

Funny you should mention that.  I just got an email from Greg this morning.  His newsletter has been rather sporadic though.  And I just ordered from him back in March.  And he mentioned in today's newsletter that he's going to one of the prog festivals this weekend, so I'm guessing it's all good there. 
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 12:19
I got the same email. Glad he's back in action again. And thank you Doctor for sharing the good news!
PROGMATIC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>