Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 10-yr old reviews ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 11:48
A ten year old who compares ELP to My Dinner with Andre and uses the word "galore"? I call bullsh*t.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 11:58
When I was 10 I was busy eating lead paint chips.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 17:08
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

You should have asked me when I was 10; I would have answered "It's quite cool, but ELP are very mainstream. Can I play you some Henry Cow or Faust"?

Hahaha!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 17:34
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

A ten year old who compares ELP to My Dinner with Andre and uses the word "galore"? I call bullsh*t.

No 10 year-old kid in the history of cinema has sat through a viewing of My Dinner with Andre', let alone would mention a 1981 film consisting of all dialogue and utterly no action in a normal conversation. This is just the writer being a snarky assh*le.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 05:05
Aye - I had to look up "My Dinner with Andre" - I thought it was some esoteric jazz album or something. - I certainly would not have watched said film (or similar types of film) at 10. I too think this is projection. I think I was into "The Sweet" when I was 10.....and "Queen" sort of.....
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 05:12
Pretty sure my entire life at ten years old solely revolved around Optimus Prime...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 06:40

The 10 year old is a witch! And you know what we do with witches!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 08:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Pretty sure my entire life at ten years old solely revolved around Optimus Prime...

Mine was probably baseball cards, plastic army men and my Big Wheel
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 08:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The 10 year old is a witch! And you know what we do with witches!

Careful. She'll turn you into a newt
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:45
When I was 10 I was spinning this exact album along with Yessongs, A Passion Play, Bizarre Records' Zapped compilation, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. These albums were not yet as old as I was. Nor had My Dinner with Andre been released. Right about that time I was just discovering music my dad didn't like such as Devo and Black Sabbath. I appreciate stuff from the 1930's now, but probably had a similar opinion of it at the time as the writers kid.

Nonetheless, the little booger eater in question is why I don't have kids. Never liked them. Even when...check that...especially when I was one. Talk about something you don't want to be stuck on a desert island with.

Funny thing is I had friends whose kids that hated prog when they were that age are rediscovering it in there 20's and are way more into it than their parents ever were.

Edited by Tapfret - April 05 2018 at 11:47
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 08:13
Kids are dumb.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:39
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

It was meant to be humorous. 

And for the record, I don't agree with the youngster's review.  I like most of the album, except for "Take a Pebble".  Maybe the lad thought the title was "Take a Piddle"?
Take a Pebble is my favourite of that album. I just absolutely love what Emerson does with the piano and organ all over the track. Quite the opposite tastes we have. 

Probably mine too. I love the part in the middle where it sounds like they are having a bonfire down by the beach. Smile
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote january4mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 06:08
The author is a jerk too, just another prog-hating journalist with a bratty kid who also has no musicality whatsoever either. And yeah, the kids comments do sound false, or changed to sound as brutal as possible.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 06:23
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Mine was probably baseball cards, plastic army men and my Big Wheel

Oddly, at just over forty and bumbling through a life of wasted time on unworthy people and abusive monsters, I find my life is somewhat back at this point again! I'm constantly falling into child-like nostalgia to bring a sense of safe happy memories, it's quite pitiful really!
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 09:39
When I was 10 in the 90s I was listening to classic rock and art rock. My first album was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John at age 7. I had David Bowie's greatest hits and Talking Heads albums by 10. I didn't like what was on the radio at the time at all.

Age isn't an excuse.

Also think the interview is fabricated.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 14:02
so much negativity in this thread, damn

the kid is right tho, ELP are boring and pretentious, always been. There's no point in listening to CLASSICAL MUSIC MEETS ROCK WHOA pseudo-intellectual schtick from hippie era, when you have so much music to choose from these days
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 14:27
^And yet your avatar stands there with a classic pseudo intellectual album that Lake was on......

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 15:03
but there was also Fripp ;) hence we got not only snoozy w**kfest, but some actual great songs (you guessed it, I love all of them except for "Moonchild" noodling section)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 15:06
and by this -
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

CLASSICAL MUSIC MEETS ROCK WHOA pseudo-intellectual schtick from hippie era
- I don't mean prog as a genre, I mean exactly what it is, bands like The Nice and ELP who made pals like Yngwee and Luca Turilli think they're genius only because they can play classical pieces faster than it's supposed

Edited by Prog-jester - April 09 2018 at 15:06
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 05:15
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

so much negativity in this thread, damn

the kid is right tho, ELP are boring and pretentious, always been. There's no point in listening to CLASSICAL MUSIC MEETS ROCK WHOA pseudo-intellectual schtick from hippie era, when you have so much music to choose from these days

My irony meter has just exploded!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>