Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - siLLy_puPPy > lists > Does Humor Belong In Music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedsiLLy_puPPy > lists > Does Humor Belong In Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 15:38
^^ Sorry - didn't catch on there was a hyperlinked list. My mistake.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 19:00
Silly Puppy how could you forget Ray Stevens?...Don't answer that!

With stupid hits such as Ahab The Arab, Gitarzan, The Streak and others...I know..... all terrible and interposed with the "sensible" worldwide hit Everything Is Beautiful.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 20:22
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Silly Puppy how could you forget Ray Stevens?...Don't answer that!

With stupid hits such as Ahab The Arab, Gitarzan, The Streak and others...I know..... all terrible and interposed with the "sensible" worldwide hit Everything Is Beautiful.

Good question. I actually thought he was on there but i guess he didn't make it for some reason. I totally agree. He was all about intentional humor. Thanks for this suggestion!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 20:44
This is a tricky one, but maybe Slugdge. Their music is pretty awesome, even techy, but their obsession with slug lifestyle dominates their aesthetic. Song titles include Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms, The Chapter for Turning into a Slug, Crop Killer, Dark Side of the Shroom, Lettuce Prey, Eyehatesalt, etc...

Honestly, just look at their discography.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 21:07
Beardfish has a couple of songs which qualify.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 03:07
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Sleepy Sleepers is definately an addition! Thanks, Mortte.

You´re welcome! Finland was in eighties and nineties a country of stupid humour music (have no idea are there other countries too), I am glad this western clean pop culture has taken them away from the mainstream pop music and stupid humour has gone into youtube where I don´t have to see them (those idiot songs were really popular in radio). I think you have here at least some level, so I won´t recommend you any of those.

But I have to recommend one more: Eläkeläiset (means pensioners in english). Eläkeläiset was first just a side project of much more serious band Kumikameli (they have plenty of all kind of humour sideprojects) but become much more popular than their prior band. The idea has been to make cover versions of the very popular rock songs, changing them into traditional finnish dance "humppa" songs with clever Finnish lyrics (I am not going to translate them, because they just don´t open to non-finnish speakers). Also like Sleepy Sleepers, they have had all kind of performances in their gigs, one tour they had a homemade circus. Also, in one gig they just drank coffee in the stage.

What most peculiar they have become very popular specially in Germany, but also other north European countries although no-one understand their lyrics anything! They still active, at least released album last year.

Here are their wikisites:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El%C3%A4kel%C3%A4iset

Edited by Mortte - April 07 2018 at 03:08
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 04:04
The thing about comedy is that it's only funny the first few times that it's heard, whereas music can be listened to time and time again. Thus, when I first heard Godley & Creme's Consequences, I bought it for the comedy it contained. But after listening to it a few times, the comedy part got stale, and I now listen to only the music parts (usually only sides 1 & 6).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:12
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

The thing about comedy is that it's only funny the first few times that it's heard, whereas music can be listened to time and time again. Thus, when I first heard Godley & Creme's Consequences, I bought it for the comedy it contained. But after listening to it a few times, the comedy part got stale, and I now listen to only the music parts (usually only sides 1 & 6).

Yes, it does have a shelf life but i can listen to Spinal Tap and Weird Al Yankovic years later and they're still funny. I guess the secret is not to burn out! I'm more music oriented than lyrics myself so the music has to be good for me to like it. This isn't a list of favorites just a list of who's actually done it.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Sleepy Sleepers is definately an addition! Thanks, Mortte.

You´re welcome! Finland was in eighties and nineties a country of stupid humour music (have no idea are there other countries too), I am glad this western clean pop culture has taken them away from the mainstream pop music and stupid humour has gone into youtube where I don´t have to see them (those idiot songs were really popular in radio). I think you have here at least some level, so I won´t recommend you any of those.

But I have to recommend one more: Eläkeläiset (means pensioners in english). Eläkeläiset was first just a side project of much more serious band Kumikameli (they have plenty of all kind of humour sideprojects) but become much more popular than their prior band. The idea has been to make cover versions of the very popular rock songs, changing them into traditional finnish dance "humppa" songs with clever Finnish lyrics (I am not going to translate them, because they just don´t open to non-finnish speakers). Also like Sleepy Sleepers, they have had all kind of performances in their gigs, one tour they had a homemade circus. Also, in one gig they just drank coffee in the stage.

What most peculiar they have become very popular specially in Germany, but also other north European countries although no-one understand their lyrics anything! They still active, at least released album last year.

Here are their wikisites:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El%C3%A4kel%C3%A4iset

That works. Originally i planned on no foreign languages only because it's not funny if you don't understsand it right? But they are clearly musical parody and i just learned what a genre called Humppa is! Kiitos ;)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:14

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:02
OK, The Aussie band

Painters and Dockers...here's their "hit" single Nude School

You won't be able to stop singing the chorus...I'll assure you!

then there's their other minor hit Die Yuppie Die

and numerous others
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 06:56
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 07:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12