Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjethro tull (aqualung)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: jethro tull (aqualung)
    Posted: April 03 2018 at 14:01
It alone stands by itself through ,i would not give some kudos as a complete album but it is in fact essential TULL ,not my favorite but it does contain many great songs i understand that Ian does not like the sound but i find the sound very grungy,very heavy like it is not really a concept album though many disagree ,it has many standout moments like MY GOD and HYMN 43 the ever classic LOCOMOTIVE BREATH and my personal favorite WONDERING ALOUD .Also the gritty nasty MOTHER GOOSE all in all, true tull fans will not be disappointed. THANK YOU for taking time to read any other tull albums of note ?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 05:53
Love side 1 and Hymn 43. I also love extras such as Up the pool, Wondring again, for later, life is a long song, just trying to be. I prefer the quad version of My god to the original. Better sounding vocals. A great year for Tull
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 06:09
My biggest Tull favourite after Thick as a Brick.

Life is a long song, Up the Pool, for later were released few months later among with Dr. Bogenbroom (my really big favourite) and Nursie as Life´s a long Song e.p. Also those extras mentioned are all in the "Living In the Past" -compilation.

Edited by Mortte - April 04 2018 at 06:10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 10:09
Great Tull album....never understood the purpose of the two sided 'theme' thing but a batch of good songs never the less.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 10:17
Top 3 Trull.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 14:57
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Life is a long song, Up the Pool, for later were released few months later among with Dr. Bogenbroom (my really big favourite) and Nursie as Life´s a long Song e.p. Also those extras mentioned are all in the "Living In the Past" -compilation.

Most or all were written before or during Aqualung though. Up the pool, Just trying to be were mid 1970. Bogenbroom is cool too although the drums seem to sound a bit quiet. It's one of my faves but the recording quality doesn't seem as good as others. A double album worth of unrepeated tracks. Maybe a couple of tracks written after the Aqualung stuff. What date was the album released? Wind up early version and My God quad are better versions than originals imo.

Edited by dr prog - April 04 2018 at 15:13
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 15:19
1971, 72, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79 are all very equal in quality. The remixes have brought out some new gems. It's no surprise that the years with the weakest albums had the most fine bonus material. Old aces die hard, Living in these hard times 1 and 2, Good godmother, Glory row, March the mad scientist, Commercial traveller, Strip cartoon, Audition, Left right, Stitch in time etc are classic tull
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 17:41
This is a great album IMO. It's this one and Brick for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 18:20
Without qualification one of the best albums of the 1970s.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 19:50
My favorite Tull. Better than Brick in my minority view. Exceptional song writing.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 21:08
Really good album... actually great. But I apreciated it more by hearing the live versions (or didn't apreciate it as much because I already knew many live versions first). However, I like every single piece better in an alternate live version (except for Wond'ring Aloud, which I like the Wond'ring Aloud, again version featured on the 40th anniversary release), most of them from the 90's/00's.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 22:21
My altered version of the album Wink

aqualung
cheap day return
cross eyed mary
mother goose
wondring aloud
up to me

my god quad
up the pool
hymn 43
wondring again
for later
just trying to be

Thanks Cool

Edited by dr prog - April 04 2018 at 22:24
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 22:36
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Most or all were written before or during Aqualung though. Up the pool, Just trying to be were mid 1970. Bogenbroom is cool too although the drums seem to sound a bit quiet. It's one of my faves but the recording quality doesn't seem as good as others. A double album worth of unrepeated tracks. Maybe a couple of tracks written after the Aqualung stuff. What date was the album released? Wind up early version and My God quad are better versions than originals imo.

Aqualung was released 19 March 1971, Life´s a Long Song 3 September 1971 and Living in the Past 23 June 1972, about three months after Thick as a Brick. Those extras probably has also "Lick Your Fingers Clean?" It didn´t make it´s way to the album because the dirty lyrics. It is in the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box, but they remake it into War Child as Two Fingers.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 00:00
Tull - Cross-Eyed Mary with Mellotron - 5 stars
Iron Maiden - Cross-Eyed Mary done Metal fashion - 5 stars
My God - one of the best Tull songs
My first Tull LP acquired back in ‘89 (still have it to this day, and with everything else I have.....still beautiful).
Not their best, but a lovable land-mark of early Heavy-Prog / Folk Rock that stands strong today. Totally understandable how it’s a ‘classic’.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 00:07

Aqualung was released 19 March 1971, Life´s a Long Song 3 September 1971 and Living in the Past 23 June 1972, about three months after Thick as a Brick. Those extras probably has also "Lick Your Fingers Clean?" It didn´t make it´s way to the album because the dirty lyrics. It is in the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box, but they remake it into War Child as Two Fingers.

I checked my Aqualung remix and it says Life is a long song was released early May 71. I didn't include it on my altered album. I added Up the pool, Just trying to be, Wondring again and For later. The first 3 were from mid-late 1970. Not sure when For later was written though. Maybe they could have released the album 5 weeks later to add that one lol

Edited by dr prog - April 05 2018 at 00:08
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 07:48
Aqualung is a classic album for me and second only to Thick as a Brick (and around equal to Songs From the Wood most of the time). While the more famous tracks attracted me first (for good reason - they are great songs), the rest of the album grew on me and present a unity to the album (even though I know it isn't a complete concept album despite its recurring themes). Always liked Mother Goose a lot - never played live as much as it could have been.

Anyway, going to see Ian Anderson deliver his 50th Anniversary show tonight and I am intrigued by the set list he apparently played at the last concert:

This Was: My Sunday Feeling/A Song for Jeffrey/Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You/Dharma for One
Stand Up: A New Day Yesterday/Bouree
Benefit: With You There To Help Me
Living in the Past: Love Story/Living in the Past/The Witch's Promise
Aqualung: My God/Cross-Eyed Mary/Aqualung/Locomotive Breath
Thick as a Brick: Thick as a Brick Extract
A Passion Play: A Passion Play Extract
Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young to Die: Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young to Die
Songs From the Wood: Songs From the Wood/Ring Out, Solstice Bells
Heavy Horses: Heavy Horses
Crest of a Knave: Farm on the Freeway

Looks a good vintage set, with a surprising amount from the earlier albums (less proggy, more blues and acoustic?) Interesting to see the albums getting skipped, especially the more recent ones. I hope the old vocal chords hold up for him, as it should be a nostalgic night for many of us.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 08:33
^ Have a nice evening, Squonky.

Not really interested in a Ian Anderson doing Jethro Tull concert nowadays (since he said sooo often that without Martin there could be no Jethro Tull) but still he have a fine band behind him and that should be quite enjoyable.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 08:39
Thanks Barbu - won't be the same without Martin etc. but it gets me out of the house, I suppose!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:33
^

and don't forget to ask/yell Daaaaaaaaaaaark Aaaages!!!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 12:37

I checked my Aqualung remix and it says Life is a long song was released early May 71. I didn't include it on my altered album. I added Up the pool, Just trying to be, Wondring again and For later. The first 3 were from mid-late 1970. Not sure when For later was written though. Maybe they could have released the album 5 weeks later to add that one lol
My information is from Wikipedia. All I have know earlier is that Life´s Long Song came between Aqualung and Thick as a Brick. Anyway Barriemore was already in drums in it, so it´s not recorded in the same sessions as Aqualung.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>