Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly From Here: Return Trip WTF??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 02:35
I listened to both yesterday, cutting between each at times. A number of points struck me. Firstly, to these ears there is not a major difference and definitely not one worth paying out for. Some tracks have subtle differences and slightly modified tonal tweeks, but I find them minimal. Secondly, I'll credit Trevor Horn for doing a reasonable job on the vocals on the majority of the tracks. He did a fine job on Drama and maintains a good standard on this one, surprisingly. Thirdly, despite saying that, I still prefer Benoit David's vocals overall, and so the purpose of this remaster remains largely lost on me (other than a financial one). Finally, I would like to say I still think Fly From Here is a good album and probably their best latter day album - even if it isn't close to the classic era. If the band spent more time trying to emulate that direction after the blandness of Heaven and Earth with a new album, rather than a disrespectful rehash this is, then we might get one more good album off them before age takes further toil on them. Maybe they could get Benoit to re-record Drama to even things up, as apparently they seem to think both albums are joined at the hip!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 21:39
^ That one would be good. It would have been great if they had played both albums complete when both Benoit and Downes were in the band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234