Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly From Here: Return Trip WTF??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly From Here: Return Trip WTF??
    Posted: April 22 2018 at 21:39
^ That one would be good. It would have been great if they had played both albums complete when both Benoit and Downes were in the band.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 02:35
I listened to both yesterday, cutting between each at times. A number of points struck me. Firstly, to these ears there is not a major difference and definitely not one worth paying out for. Some tracks have subtle differences and slightly modified tonal tweeks, but I find them minimal. Secondly, I'll credit Trevor Horn for doing a reasonable job on the vocals on the majority of the tracks. He did a fine job on Drama and maintains a good standard on this one, surprisingly. Thirdly, despite saying that, I still prefer Benoit David's vocals overall, and so the purpose of this remaster remains largely lost on me (other than a financial one). Finally, I would like to say I still think Fly From Here is a good album and probably their best latter day album - even if it isn't close to the classic era. If the band spent more time trying to emulate that direction after the blandness of Heaven and Earth with a new album, rather than a disrespectful rehash this is, then we might get one more good album off them before age takes further toil on them. Maybe they could get Benoit to re-record Drama to even things up, as apparently they seem to think both albums are joined at the hip!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 07:25
I heard the remix---only once but if you liked the album there are parts of this that sound totally different from the original---so in that sense I will buy ---I like Benoit voice better generally and on Into the Storm--Trevor does not do a great job---Its not his song and its the only real train wreak for me---
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 19:52
Wow - finally got my copy - this is amazing. I love the original version of the album - I have listened to it many times. Return Trip is very different - only on track 3 but so far the songs are not only remixed but also rearranged. This is very cool - it's eerie - must have been an interesting experience for Trevor Horn to do the vocals with Chris Squire's voice preserved and suspended. 

I'm still going to listen to the original version too - will probably remain my favorite version - but I'm digging this too. It's kind of like a reboot, like the Star Trek or James Bond reboots - it's a reimagining of something that was great and that now exists in a different way. Man, listening to the "Turn your life around" section of "Sad Night at the Airfield" is really moving - a lot of focus on Chris Squire's voice.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 01:52
Quite like The Mystery and would rather listen to them than modern day YES. The last decent Yes album was Keys Studio. The symphonic DVD was also rather wonderful. After that they could safely have retired leaving a legacy that few could touch.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 00:20
I wasn't that impressed with the original FFH, why would I be listening to this re-recording?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 20:16
I get that many of the YES band members have treated each other badly. They are definitely not the greatest band to choose as role models for band management! 

But I'm not sure that I'm that great a person myself - I've definitely treated fellow band members badly in the past - not necessarily "on purpose" but I've done things I'm ashamed of so I'm withholding judgment and going to enjoy listening to the new version - I hope! It could suck too lol
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Can you hear Mrs. Piggy singing Jon's lines? She's got them memorized already!

*spits first beer of day on monitor*

thanks Pedro.. No I hadn't been able to hear that before your post.. and now it is all I'll likely hear.. flying from here.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:33
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yes are playing smaller & smaller venues....devolving into a Spinal Tap parody of themselves.  Pretty soon it will be "Puppet Show, Yes" on the marquee.  Sad.

The Muppets have not done YES?

The shame. The total shame! Can you hear Mrs. Piggy singing Jon's lines? She's got them memorized already!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by stevensheldon stevensheldon wrote:

Hello there! I hope that sky custom assignment write service will be essential for you! I truly appreciate this question!

Fly From Here to the Sky Custom.

Love it
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 22:10
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I do appreciate the varied opinions expressed on this thread and they all have some validity. I understand the linking back to Drama etc. and I have no issues if you want to buy the new version too. As I said...my main problem with this, is the disrespect to Benoit shown by this release. It's the moral aspect I'm thinking about, and I know I'm very naive about thinking this should be above any financial benefits that will accrue here. Yes in recent years have shown a lack of respect to other members (not least Oliver Wakeman) and I really wish they could avoid such air-brushing out of some past members and retain the positive 50th anniversary vibe I felt when I saw them a short while ago.

Yes has a long history of disrespect---so what comes around goes around---Jon and the gang kicked out whoever they wanted in the early days and replaced them with someone better---Tony Kaye--Patrick Moraz were both removed rather heavy handedly--so this is nothing new---Yes is a big mess right now just trying to make money by endless tours and re-releasing music for Squires family----I'm a long time fan and won't see either (mainly because I can't stand hearing Rabin butcher Howes parts and no interest in hearing Yes west songs) there are 4 living members who fans want to see together---Howe Anderson White and Wakeman---but sadly that will never happen.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 20:00
^ It's not a re-recording. The only thing recorded again are the vocals, the rest are the same... well, I think Trevor Horn did add a few new instruments here or there, but not something really noteworthy. And he remixed the album too.
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 18:30
I was surprised when I heard the band was re-recording Fly From Here. I thought the original was pretty good. *shrug*

I remember there were a few comparisons to Drama made when the album was first released. Maybe the band heard this too and were inspired? I'll give the new version a chance if I get a chance to hear it, but it's probably not one I'll rush to get.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 17:19
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I do appreciate the varied opinions expressed on this thread and they all have some validity. I understand the linking back to Drama etc. and I have no issues if you want to buy the new version too. As I said...my main problem with this, is the disrespect to Benoit shown by this release. It's the moral aspect I'm thinking about, and I know I'm very naive about thinking this should be above any financial benefits that will accrue here. Yes in recent years have shown a lack of respect to other members (not least Oliver Wakeman) and I really wish they could avoid such air-brushing out of some past members and retain the positive 50th anniversary vibe I felt when I saw them a short while ago.

Thanks, that was a very good post!  

I think Jon Anderson is the one who has been given the most disrespect....Howe's snarky "ex-girlfriend" comments come to mind.  

Yes are playing smaller & smaller venues....devolving into a Spinal Tap parody of themselves.  Pretty soon it will be "Puppet Show, Yes" on the marquee.  Sad.

Edited by cstack3 - April 11 2018 at 17:20
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 05:21

Edited by Squonk19 - April 11 2018 at 05:50
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 18:27
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Drama has some of my favorite Chris Squire bass - Tempus Fugit, Does It Really Happen, Into the Lens - of course Fragile, The Yes Album & Close to the Edge are the classic sound, but to me Drama is a peak in his career bass-wise. It's basically one of the only Yes albums I listen to regularly. 

I really loved Fly From Here when it came out - I've ordered the new version and look forward to hearing it. 

Drama absolutely features some of Chris' all time career best bass lines Thumbs Up.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 16:09
Fly From Here the song, particularly the beginning - really should have been on Drama and is a great anchor on the 2011(/2018) album. The rest of the songs I never really got into. My go-to version for some time has been the Buggles' demo version, as the Fly From Here album was taken down from streaming services some years ago. Makes sense for Trevor Horn to sing it. My main complaint with Fly From Here was that they had an impersonator, primarily of Jon Anderson, singing on the legendary Fly From Here track. When they announced the album I already was enamored of the track in its demo forms so it was a real treat to hear it realized. I listened to the digital single that preceded the album as much as the album itself probably.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 09:06
Drama has some of my favorite Chris Squire bass - Tempus Fugit, Does It Really Happen, Into the Lens - of course Fragile, The Yes Album & Close to the Edge are the classic sound, but to me Drama is a peak in his career bass-wise. It's basically one of the only Yes albums I listen to regularly. 

I really loved Fly From Here when it came out - I've ordered the new version and look forward to hearing it. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Too bad FFH 's nowhere near the caliber of Drama.

Actually, I think I like both albums about the same. The only song I really love on Drama is Machine Messiah... and Open Car and Run to the Light are rather enjoyable, though much more light hearted. If only those 3 main songs used on the Fly from Here suite (which I understand were already written) had been used on Drama too, I believe it could have been a really great album. I really like the wong Fly from here, as well as Madman at the Screens, and Sad Night at the Airfield stands comfortably among the most beautiful songs they have made.

Drama is a gem in the Yes catalogue. Nothing on FFH stood out for me. It's another just-okay latter-day Yes album. I do like calling it Fly For Beer. I get that much, at least. LOL.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:42
Not sure why Yes is doing this, except to re-write history....maybe to give Trevor Horn some cash flow? 

Benoit did a fine job in this version, also featuring Ollie Wakeman!  I never did care for the twirling Benoit stage act, but hell, the guy could sing! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>