Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly From Here: Return Trip WTF??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly From Here: Return Trip WTF??
    Posted: April 03 2018 at 19:11
Really? Is this the proverbial putting lipstick on a pig or what? Does anyone believe having Trevor sing and having a few solos redone is going to make this anything other than what it is, a huge disappointment?

I'm just saying.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 19:23
Pass.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 20:11
well I've heard it and it is interesting as it is remixed in many parts---like the "Fly from here" suite---one part is completely remixed and sounds better than the original---the long version of Hour of need is good---but Howe sings on a new song and it is pretty bad----I mean it's fine but of course Benoit is washed clean of the his history with Yes even though his vocals on certain songs like Into the Storm is way better than Trevor Horns. I'm a die hard classic line-up guy but thought this album was ok---meaning I listen to it more than any Yes west album. I think Yes is trying to continually help Chris Squires family financially in any way they can this release and the re-release of Fish out of water to get us all to go out and buy again.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 21:30
I just gave the new one a listen on YouTube, and it didn't convince me to buy the new one. I loved Benoit's singing on the original one, and Trevor's singing is a small step down for me. I didn't listen with enough attention to really notice the remixing changes, except for crearer backing vocals, which sounded nice enough, and an extra keyboard solo on Madman at the Screens. I wish they had done this with Heaven and Earth, I believe that one would have benefited much more with the remixing and the new vocals... but of course that one had nothing to do with Trevor Horn and there is no reason for him to touch it and work with it the same way.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 21:54
Unfortunately, YES seems to be making the wrong decisions lately. Once on top of the world, it seems that these days they cannot find their way out mediocracy. Really sad.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 23:00
Not ever been big fan of any kind of remixes/ redoings (only one I have is Kate Bush director´s cut, haven´t listened that also much). I like the original, I have now much else to listen, maybe I listen this someday (or not).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 23:03
It seems they really have an attitude problem towards certain vocalists. First with Jon Anderson, then Benoit. As Dellinger, I don´t see any problem in Benoit´s singing, although even I can hear some very little mistakes in his pronouncing.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 01:21
I am very disappointed with this decision. I thought the original album was reasonably good and that Benoit did a good job, all things considered. This move to wipe him out of Yes history is unnecessary and highly disrespectful. Remaster the album for sure, but don't replace the vocals (which from what I have heard myself are not an improvement on the original). Start thinking clearly lads.....you will taint your legacy this way. Spend more time coming up with an album better than Heaven and Earth, then such retrospective shenanigans.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 01:45
Are Yes lost these days ???   
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 02:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Are Yes lost these days ???   

Since 1974.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 04:05
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I am very disappointed with this decision. I thought the original album was reasonably good and that Benoit did a good job, all things considered. This move to wipe him out of Yes history is unnecessary and highly disrespectful. Remaster the album for sure, but don't replace the vocals (which from what I have heard myself are not an improvement on the original). Start thinking clearly lads.....you will taint your legacy this way. Spend more time coming up with an album better than Heaven and Earth, then such retrospective shenanigans.

Exactly. Regardless of what you felt the respective merits (or lack thereof) of `Fly from Here' were or weren't, Benoit's vocal was certainly not the problem. He conveyed himself with a dignity and thoughtfulness (just like he did when he was in the Mystery band), and he deserves to be treated better than that. Although I'm still happy to collect it for my Yes collection, the original version will be the `proper' one, and this re-writing of history to not only squeeze another round of sales out of this one album that only would have appealed to die-hard Yes fans, and to try to align it to the original `Drama' line-up (which `Fly from Here' sounds nothing like, and only little pieces of the material date back to that period!) to give it more `credibility' is really desperate. Perhaps they should be re-issuing both versions as a double-set, but keeping the original as the main version (and the newie as a `bonus disc')...

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 04 2018 at 04:08
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 04:29
I agree: Benoit isn't a problem. I've seen his live performance (on youtube only unfortunately) and I have had the impression of listening to YES.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 05:20
I can't wait for the William Shatner version.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 05:21
I'm giving this a miss. I really like the original album and by all accounts Benoit's vocals are better than Trevor Horn's, so even if it is a remix I'm not buying it. It's frankly a bit of an insult to Benoit, even if Horn did write the songs.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 06:20
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I can't wait for the William Shatner version.

THIS!!!!!!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 06:45
To answer the OP's question, yes this is putting lipstick on a pig.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 08:15
I don't care. I liked the original. Ordered the new one. Far from perfect, FFH was still better than 99% of the records released in the past ten years. Just saying'.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 08:39
You should re-release 'Live from Lyon' with new vocals by Trevor, guys.

That version of Yes is a grand masquerade afaic.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 09:17
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Unfortunately, YES seems to be making the wrong decisions lately. Once on top of the world, it seems that these days they cannot find their way out mediocracy. Really sad.

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment of what they are doing.

Just like classical music, there are many different bits and pieces and interpretations and everyone still buys them, and some folks even have Beethoven's 5th with 3 different versions, because Karajan's version is very much stronger than the others, as an example.

And Mahler ... you have to hear it to believe it!

In this case, there should not be any concern for their wanting to update a few things and change a few others. I seriously doubted that Stravinsky did not make changes to some of his pieces when he started directing them, instead of just sitting back, and then Lenny brought out a version that made us thing ... wow, this is smooth and very cool! 

It's OK if you do not care for it and you prefer this or that singer on it, but saying that it is mediocre simply because one did not like it, is probably not cool, and is simply demeaning to the complete band's cannon and work. Not all the piece's in one's listing are preferred. Not all of Picasso's work are in your wall (posters, anyway) and he has more styles than anyone else, and writers ... oh my gawd ... they can make this situation look even worse!

It's impossible for people to "interpret" things properly and correctly the way that most theater and film pieces try to do. And I am not sure that us, as "fans", have a right to tell the artist and owner of the piece what to do with it ... 

We, seem to be "stuck" on something that has one version, usually the original, and not all of the originals are better than some follow ups on various pieces of music, specially. You can look at Bob Dylan, and find that Sandy, Jimi, Bryan can do him better, and you can look at Manfred Mann that even did a Boss tune better when it first came out, and made a huge hit out of it, along with several other Dylan songs.

You might as well sit here and say that these "copies" stink, and they don't.

And I know some YES fans, that happen to like this redo ... and one of them is trying to get me to buy it, though I (STILL) do not have any YES after "Relayer". To me, it's when it died, and its "soul" and "spirit" was taken out by fans ... whose preferences were more important than the artists work on its own. I'm simply getting tired of this form of "social-ism" that supposedly tells you what is best for you, and you and I can't even try it and find out for ourselves anymore, because the bandwagon of vitriol has taken off, and honestly? ... now you know why I am not enamored with anything YES, in the past 40 some years!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

To answer the OP's question, yes this is putting lipstick on a pig.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>