Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly From Here: Return Trip WTF??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 12:55
I rather liked Benoit's performance on the FFH suite on the album. I remain to be convinced how this will add to anything, aside from adding to the Squire widow pension pot......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 20:11
the band is a make shift mess with a lot of second rate talent and no real authenticity ---the Drama line up is the closest thing they can come up with that is a credible decent line up from the past---so they are advertising this as the Drama line up---follow up to Drama. Only thing they can do now that they are not speaking to Anderson or Wakeman ever again.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 20:34
However it may be, I guess the best for anyone interested enough is to at least listen to it. I did hear it on YouTube and it didn't convince me to buy it... because I liked better Benoit's vocals and because I agree with most that it is disrespectful. But I did read many comments on the FB news about this album being already available from people who really liked the remix and feel it is an improvement over the original, so it might just as well be worth checking it out before discarding it.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 21:49
Wow, it's funny how opinions differ. Over on another prog website everyone seems to like it. 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 01:30

I haven't heard the new version yet, so I cannot comment on how its sounds, but I like the idea. Indeed, recording this album with the original Drama-line up seems like the most natural thing to do, and what they should have done in the first place. Why even hire a new vocalist, when Trevor Horn was already there in the studio with them as a producer? It would have made a lot more sense to have Horn sing on the original version of the album when it was first recorded.

The only reason they hired Benoit David, I believe, was so that they could go on tour, which is outside of Horn's comfort zone, and that it made more sense to them to record the album with the same singer that they would be touring with. That reason is now irrelevant, so it makes sense to redo the album they way it should have been all along, as a true follow-up to Drama.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 01:44

I have no disrespect towards Benoit David, but he was the first member in Yes-history to be hired solely because he is a sound-a-like to a previous member.

Yes has such a rich stock of ex-members to draw from, so it makes a lot more sense to re-invite a previous member than to hire an impersonator from a Yes-tribute band.

I'm glad that Geoff Downes was brought back, because he had "unfinished business" with the band, and the same goes for Horn.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 05:09
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Why even hire a new vocalist, when Trevor Horn was already there in the studio with them as a producer? It would have made a lot more sense to have Horn sing on the original version of the album when it was first recorded.

I don't think Horn has the range to sing it properly tbh. I saw Yes on the original Drama tour and Horn looked like he was going to burst a blood vessel trying to sing the pre-Drama Yes numbers.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 07:33
I would like to quote Goethe on this matter: "Getret'ner Quark wird breit, nicht stark" meaning "Curd you (repeatedly) tread on does not get strong, it gets broad". The German original has a double meaning; "Quark" does not only mean "curd" but also "rubbish, nonsense".

I think good old Goethe pretty much nails it here.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 09:37
Both Benoit and Trevor are good singers, but this was an unnecessary move. FFH was alright.

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:16
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Why even hire a new vocalist, when Trevor Horn was already there in the studio with them as a producer? It would have made a lot more sense to have Horn sing on the original version of the album when it was first recorded.

I don't think Horn has the range to sing it properly tbh. I saw Yes on the original Drama tour and Horn looked like he was going to burst a blood vessel trying to sing the pre-Drama Yes numbers.

Yep, I saw that tour in Deeside, and Horn really struggled. The crowd reaction was none too favourable.

Boo......boo.......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 11:29

Like I said above, performing live was outside of Horn's comfort zone, but he was more than capable in the studio. No disrespect to Benoit David, but the band didn't need him in the studio. Live is another matter.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - April 05 2018 at 11:30
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 12:39
To quote a review of a new Yes album in a major rag back in the '80s (I think it may have been Musician): "Just say no."
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 19:50

Like I said above, performing live was outside of Horn's comfort zone, but he was more than capable in the studio. No disrespect to Benoit David, but the band didn't need him in the studio. Live is another matter.

Benoit David had already been in the band for two years when they did Fly From Here; I'm assuming the reason they had him sing on the album was that they considered him a member of the band, rather than just a hired gun. They even gave him the same treatment as Jon... by replacing him when he got sick instead of waiting for him to get better.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 20:58

I have no disrespect towards Benoit David, but he was the first member in Yes-history to be hired solely because he is a sound-a-like to a previous member.

Yes has such a rich stock of ex-members to draw from, so it makes a lot more sense to re-invite a previous member than to hire an impersonator from a Yes-tribute band.

I'm glad that Geoff Downes was brought back, because he had "unfinished business" with the band, and the same goes for Horn.

I'm not really all that glad about Geoff's coming back, because that meant getting rid of Oliver in a very disrespectful way (once again), and I believe he was a better player and was doing a better job... and getting rid of Oliver that way did put them at odds with Rick, with whom they had been having a good enough relation up to that point.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 21:03

Actually, singing Anderson's parts was also out of the comfort zone of Benoit. I have only seen Yes twice... sadly neither one was with Anderson (once with Benoit, and once with Davidson), and I could see Benoit struggling with the high notes too. That's why I was so pleased with Fly from Here... I wasn't so sure about him as a singer, but once he sang on something that could be withing his comfort zone he did so much more beautifully... as far as I'm concerned, better than Horn. Davidson didn't seem to struggle as much as Benoit... but mostly because he doesn't even seem to try, and his performance sounds flatter than it should.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:05
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm not really all that glad about Geoff's coming back, because that meant getting rid of Oliver in a very disrespectful way (once again), and I believe he was a better player and was doing a better job... and getting rid of Oliver that way did put them at odds with Rick, with whom they had been having a good enough relation up to that point.

It is of course always sad when people have to be ousted, but Fly From Here was all about making a follow-up to Drama, and to resurrect material that the band was working on during that time, with that line-up. So it was only natural to bring back Downes for that, who originally got to do only one album with the band.

That they then had him perform those earlier albums live (as can be heared on the Like It Is releases) was perhaps not the best idea, I give you that.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 13:34
^ I believe it was Horn's idea (since he was already the producer when they chose to bring those old Drama era songs back) to bring Geoff Downes into the band... why he (or they, the whole band) didn't choose to sing them at the time is a puzzle, specially now that we have this Return Trip thing done. However, it might have been a thought to be considered, but in the end I believe the band was diminished by the decision.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:26
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I agree with this. Oliver shouldn't have been cut like that. He was cut like a chunk of fat from a chop.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:28

It is of course always sad when people have to be ousted, but Fly From Here was all about making a follow-up to Drama, and to resurrect material that the band was working on during that time, with that line-up. So it was only natural to bring back Downes for that, who originally got to do only one album with the band.

Too bad FFH 's nowhere near the caliber of Drama.
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 20:32
I just love Trevor Horn too much too dislike Return Trip. I need to get the official version, I have, erm, a bootleg of it....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>