Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for songs with specific instrument combos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for songs with specific instrument combos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for songs with specific instrument combos
    Posted: April 03 2018 at 19:24
I love songs with diverse instruments, prog songs especially are great at this. Can you give me suggestions for songs that are Not just guitar, bass, drums? Specifically, I would like songs with acoustic and electric guitar and piano and organ, playing together or one transitions into the other. I prefer songs that are from the 70s/80s and are longer in length/duration.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 19:54
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

I love songs with diverse instruments, prog songs especially are great at this. Can you give me suggestions for songs that are Not just guitar, bass, drums? Specifically, I would like songs with acoustic and electric guitar and piano and organ, playing together or one transitions into the other. I prefer songs that are from the 70s/80s and are longer in length/duration.

Could you mention what bands you are already familiar with who fall into this category? 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 20:01
You could try Tull's Songs From The Wood album. Take the song "Velvet Green", for instance: two keyboardists (one playing portative organ), glockenspiel, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, flute, drums, tabor, nakers, mandolin, bass...and those are just the instruments I can tell right off.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 21:56
Try The Incredible String Band's "ITKOS". An amazing pice of music with all kinds of instruments and influences.
paulindigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 03:32
If you're specifically looking for songs with acoustic/electric guitars, piano and organ I suggest Traffic (the albums John Barleycorn Must Die and The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys, for instance).
Talking about transitions from acoustic to electric guitar, David Gilmour's Near the End (from About Face) has a nice acoustic solo that morphs almost seamlessly into an electrico one - but maybe it's not exactly what you have in mind.
An obvious suggestion would be Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, with plenty of string instruments, organs and acoustic piano (not to mention whistles, flute and more).
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 07:44
Try also Harmonium. S'on avait besoin... fits quite well. Flute, acoustic guitars, no drums etc... 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 08:11
You can also try The Amazing Blondel. Their album "Fantasia Lindum" has a long piece (I think is 18 or 20 minutes long) full of lutes, flutes, and many ethnic instruments. Gryphon is also another band in that category, "Midnight Mushrooms" is quite long and instrumented with a lot of English folk instruments.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 08:16
A lot of RPI stuff fits, too. If you don't bother with the language, "Le Orme" is another one.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 09:21
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Try The Incredible String Band's "ITKOS". An amazing pice of music with all kinds of instruments and influences.

+1
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 10:32
Gryphon...Red Queen.......or Mushrumps
White Willow....Ignis Fatuus

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2018 at 10:35
One of my favorite 'fusion' groups.....Oregon.....
try Out Of The Woods.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 08:54
"Syntelman's March of the Roaring 70s" by Amon Düül 2 has lots of swaps between electric and acoustic guitar.

The same can be said of "Restless Skylight Transistor Child" from the same album:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 09:25
This is neither prog nor a song recorded in the 60s/70s but it's IMO one of the most instrumentally diverse Oasis tracks.

acoustic and electric guitar - check
piano and organ - check
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Shock&Awe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shock&Awe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 12:54
Check out Consider The Source if you like unique eastern type instrumental stuff. This song is shorter, but there are longer more elaborate works they do as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7PsmFo4oo I think they are a really creative band.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 15:44
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

Sounds like Gryphon is the band for you.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 17:26
Already mentioned, but I must agree, Mike Oldfield (not only Tubular Bells, but all his 70's albums, plus the new Return to Ommadawn) and Harmonium (particularly Si On Avai Besoin d'une cinquiem saison). Perhaps Focus too (Hamburger Concerto).
LatestLoveSongs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Spammist Songs Lyrics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatestLoveSongs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:40
Very interesting content. Very useful for me.Thanks for publishing the post.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 08:24
Definitely Gryphon. Also Gentle Giant.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 08:44
They aren't 70s/80s but if you want to expand into the 90s, there are several Spock's Beard songs should fit the bill
The Doorway is a great example.
The Light is another good one.

Edited by Jeffro - April 27 2018 at 09:08
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 10:18
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think those guys used to just make up instruments so they could add them to the credits. On Wee Tam & The Big Huge, Heron and Williamson play 24 instruments between them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>