FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which headphone amp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
UnderGround View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which headphone amp?
    Posted: June 23 2023 at 04:43
http://https://apogeedigital.com/products/groove

Edited by UnderGround - June 23 2023 at 04:44
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 16:59
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

That is except from a number of albums longer than 50 minutes where I listen to a shorter, 40-50 minutes, version I program on my CD-player. - I do it actually with quite a lot of albums, and it's the main reason for my buying CDs.

When that is said, I have to tell, I'm very fond of some of the CD-releases I've bought. Smile

Terrific to hear.
Actually the newest CD I bought is Riverside’s I.D Entity. Sounds very reasonable. The fidelity that is. Obviously not the best I’ve heard, but fidelity wise I can enjoy it and enjoy it quite loud.

Another band that records reasonably well is Gazpacho. They have great sounding CDs.
You can put those on your amp set to 11! :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 06:29

That is except from a number of albums longer than 50 minutes where I listen to a shorter, 40-50 minutes, version I program on my CD-player. - I do it actually with quite a lot of albums, and it's the main reason for my buying CDs.

When that is said, I have to tell, I'm very fond of some of the CD-releases I've bought. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 14:42

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I’m an old school purist who listens to whole albums. 

That's what I always do as well, and I don't even consider it to be particularly puristic - just the more serious music listening. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 06 2023 at 15:54
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 06:40

But the real kicker is that I treat my living room for sound with acoustic panels. Makes things sound natural and less reflective. Pretty important

I find that kind of room stuff better than equalizers.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 06:37

I’m an old school purist who listens to whole albums. 

That's what I always do as well, and I don't even consider it to be particularly puristic - just the more serious music listening. Smile

The Brit’s sure can build great HIFI equipment 

Yes, indeed! 

Edited by David_D - February 06 2023 at 12:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 03:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

But the real kicker is that I treat my living room for sound with acoustic panels. Makes things sound natural and less reflective. Pretty important
Bravo! This is the most important element for any listening environment.

The room is a member of the band.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 17:28

Bravo! This is the most important element for any listening environment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 16:15

Loving my Woo Audio WA22 even as a Pre amp with my D-8000 headphones. It is magic.
Wow!, that's really nice stuff - even also quite another way to experience music than with loudspeakers.
You got it. The alternatives in audio listening are better than ever.
Very grateful.

So are you only listening to music with headphones?

No. I have a cheap home theater 5.1 audio system for surround sound.
I love that audio codec a lot. I buy blu ray audio of any band I like.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 16:12

Loving my Woo Audio WA22 even as a Pre amp with my D-8000 headphones. It is magic.

Actually, I listen only to CDs with headphones (in the evenings), and directly from CD-player with the Rega Ear as the only amp.

Hi David. Yup. I’m the same. I’m an old school purist who listens to whole albums. I love my CDs which is why I bought the Cyrus CD i complete with its own unique power supply.
The Brit’s sure can build great HIFI equipment

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 07:48

These are the headphones I use with Rega Ear - Grado SR225i:

They're a good couple except from the headphones are very sensitive while the amp is very powerful,
so I have to set the volume very low and it's a bit difficult to adjust to the best level.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 06:42

Wow!, that's really nice stuff - even also quite another way to experience music than with loudspeakers.
Very grateful.

So are you only listening to music with headphones?

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 02:47

Actually, I listen only to CDs with headphones (in the evenings), and directly from CD-player with the Rega Ear as the only amp.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 16:16

Very grateful.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 14:06

Edited by David_D - February 04 2023 at 15:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 10:30

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 09:36

Rega Ear, surely a nice mid-range amp

Edited by David_D - February 05 2023 at 09:03
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 15:23
I've got a couple of headphone amps. A iFi Hip DAC and a Cyrus Soundkey. Usage depends on the situation. I use the Hip DAC with Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b headphones with balanced connection. The Cyrus I use with AKG K92s. I use an Android phone with the brilliant USB Audio Player PRO app. Stream music from my NAS for local and remote connections.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 14:46
Originally posted by jamessavik jamessavik wrote:

I wanted a Schitt Audio Modi/Magni combo DAC/Headphone amp, but I could never get them to ship it. They were having supply chain issues.

My next infatuation was with the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 200, but I couldn't make myself pay that much.

Finally, I purchased an iFi Zen 2. Matched with an Audio-Technica ATX50, it works fine and didn't leave my wallet smoking.

iFi makes nice gear....
jamessavik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamessavik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 11:42
I wanted a Schitt Audio Modi/Magni combo DAC/Headphone amp, but I could never get them to ship it. They were having supply chain issues.

My next infatuation was with the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 200, but I couldn't make myself pay that much.

Finally, I purchased an iFi Zen 2. Matched with an Audio-Technica ATX50, it works fine and didn't leave my wallet smoking.

There might have been things I missed
But don't be unkind
It don't mean I'm blind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>