Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Peart lyrics bad????? Crazy off beat opinion, rather silly. I would not call them bad but Yes lyrics are pretty nuts and make very little sense.....Way too many bowls of hash and too much meditating.
LOL

Lol
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 00:31
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Rush rules!!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 01:31

Peart lyrics bad????? Crazy off beat opinion, rather silly. I would not call them bad but Yes lyrics are pretty nuts and make very little sense.....Way too many bowls of hash and too much meditating.
LOL

Dude, Peart's lyrics are awesome!

Also, Jon Anderson has stated several times it's more about the sound of the words than the actual meaning. Because of this, a lot of Yes lyrics sound like alphabet soup when you listen closely, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 06:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

too much emphasis on Geddy's voice... what was really cringworthy during those prog years was not his voice. It was those horrible Peart lyrics. While Geddy's voice was.. umm.. distinctive.. and for many, including myself, quite endearing.. those absolutely terrible lyrics can ruin the prog rush experience.

that said...  Rush is a good entry point for new people to Rush.  Get it out of the way quickly.. weed them out quicly. if you are put off by silly hyper intellectualism by muso's no smarter than the guy who cleans your toilets at the office and often painfully bad lyrics. You need not apply further with prog hahaha.  

You seriously think Rush lyrics are bad? I can honestly say I think this is the first time I ever heard anyone say that. I actually think quite the opposite. I think they are some of the best lyrics not just in prog but in music period. I would love to hear who you think has better and more intelligent lyrics. 

of course I do...... and you do need to get out of the fishbowl more.  The notion that Peart's lyrics are cringeworthy is not a creation of my off center warped trollish mind but a real conversation point you'll find in serious discussions about Rush.

David hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread...  Rush is and forever will be a adolescent boy band.  And if you haven't got them by the time you are 25.. you likely won't. There is a reason for that.. it isn't the music for god's sake.. not Geddy's voice.. it is IMO (and yes others) it is the often ham-handed 'philosophy for loser teenage boys' that Peart was quite renowned for in their prog incarantion haha. Oh sure he matured as a lyricist as the years went by and Rush became AOR not prog.. but that is not the point of the thread is it.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 06:32

LOL
Yeah, Yes's lyrics do make sense to the inebriated, I suppose.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 09:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

LOL
Yeah, Yes's lyrics do make sense to the inebriated, I suppose.

EXCUSE ME?

Confused

YES fans, of old, did the best acid, the longest serving grass and on occasion, the cleanest needle there was!

Oh, we also drank bottled water because one of the guys told us that pop was bad!

AND, we thought that medieval clothing, make up and knee high boots were awesome, and wore them, although if we did that at school the principle and the teachers would tell you to go home, shower and dress and then come to school!

The dope wasn't bad, the music was better, and the scene? Too much Clairol and Hair coloring for my tastes and the kisses tasted awful with all those chemicals!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 09:49
ahhhh.. and in lieu today of acid you can trust dropping,  good weed and clean needles

we have posts by our beloved Pedro....  Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The dope wasn't bad, the music was better, and the scene? Too much Clairol and Hair coloring for my tastes and the kisses tasted awful with all those chemicals!
You kids from the 70's and 80's had it much better then my g-g-generation. The hippy chicks I hung with didn't even bath, let alone dye their hair or wear makeup!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:02

You kids from the 70's and 80's had it much better then my g-g-generation. The hippy chicks I hung with didn't even bath, let alone dye their hair or wear makeup!

While I am sure it is fascinating listening to Steve's tuna-boat memories of 1960s girls with bad hygiene and hairy armpits, returning to the subject I think you're better off fooling someone into liking prog. Don't even mention prog. Let them listen to 1970s Floyd or Tull, depending on their musical proclivities, and then ease them into something more outlandish. For god's sake don't just drop a VdGG or Henry Cow album on them out of nowhere. They could become mentally scarred and end up hating you.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:06
The fact that you mention VDGG in the same sentence as Henry Cow and then used the word mentally scared tells me I'd probably like Henry Cow. :D 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:14

The hippy chicks I hung with didn't even bath, let alone dye their hair or wear makeup!

You didn't complain. LOL!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:30
Micky, you still haven't mentioned which bands have better lyrics than Rush? Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion about Rush and their lyrics. To each their own I guess. I do agree with you though that if you haven't "gotten" them as a band by the age of 25 you likely won't but I think the same is true about Yes and actually most prog. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 07 2018 at 11:39
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:38
Neil's a great lyricist. There have been times when he seemed to phone it in, but when he's on, he's ON.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:45
You guys...are Neil Peart's lyrics overrated or underrated...?

LOL Wink 

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:50
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

LOL

Dude, Peart's lyrics are awesome!

Also, Jon Anderson has stated several times it's more about the sound of the words than the actual meaning. Because of this, a lot of Yes lyrics sound like alphabet soup when you listen closely, lol.

Exactly. Post of the day as far as I'm concerned. Wink 

I defy anyone to find me a lyricist who is more well read and has more intelligent and thought provoking lyrics than Peart. Can't do it because it can't be done. LOL The guy has read about a book day for the past fifty years. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 07 2018 at 11:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 12:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

While I am sure it is fascinating listening to Steve's tuna-boat memories of 1960s girls with bad hygiene and hairy armpits, returning to the subject I think you're better off fooling someone into liking prog. Don't even mention prog. Let them listen to 1970s Floyd or Tull, depending on their musical proclivities, and then ease them into something more outlandish. For god's sake don't just drop a VdGG or Henry Cow album on them out of nowhere. They could become mentally scarred and end up hating you.

Damn Greg, I could have told you of my hookup with Grace Slick. Now she was Capt. of the fleet!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 13:03
Why all the discussion about the quality of Peart's lyrics?  Rush isn't even prog, let alone good prog, so the whole point is moot.  It's a discussion for a generic rock 'n roll forum.  Seriously, we should add a new genre called "Prog Wannabe's" and add Rush, Kansas, and everything that Steve Wilson has done.
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 13:09
I who came from a heavy metal/hard rock phase right into prog didn't have a difficult time to get used to the hard prog music that they made, but still Geddy's vocals are a tough nut to crack, even more than any metal vocalist. 

Though, I still think theirs is a weird sound, considering they're not symphonic prog like most prog bands even if you ended up getting into Rush you might have difficulties liking other ones that are softer. As others have said, getting into any type of music requires you to listen to many many bands all at once so as to expand your sound palette quicker.
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

I who came from a heavy metal/hard rock phase right into prog didn't have a difficult time to get used to the hard prog music that they made

Good point.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

I who came from a heavy metal/hard rock phase right into prog didn't have a difficult time to get used to the hard prog music that they made, but still Geddy's vocals are a tough nut to crack, even more than any metal vocalist. 

Though, I still think theirs is a weird sound, considering they're not symphonic prog like most prog bands even if you ended up getting into Rush you might have difficulties liking other ones that are softer. As others have said, getting into any type of music requires you to listen to many many bands all at once so as to expand your sound palette quicker.

I also crossed over from metal (into progressive electronics first!) and I never had an issue with Gedd's voice. Not one bit. Awesome singer.

There are some metal vocalists I could never get into, like King Diamond. Awful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>