Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I’d say start with The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s and then move onto King Crimson’s In the Court of the Crimson King. Both of these albums were groundbreaking and really got so much of this music going.
I agree fully.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 11:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Mmm..I never give it much thought but listening to prog must cost more then listening to straight rock genres. All those Steve Wilson remixes and the endless parade of box sets! LOL

According to Discogs there are 682 versions of the Sgt Pepper album, this includes all formats from 1967-2018 issue dates.
Some entries can be considered duplicates because of different matrix information within the same catalog#.....but a different pressing is a different pressing. Even if the number is 50% less.....

So that is where all your money has gone, the real scam.......LOLClap
Now I don't feel so guilty about spinning my old vinyl copy!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 05:30
Originally posted by starofsirius7 starofsirius7 wrote:

I am new to Prog. I had a bit a misleading journey though. I really liked In the Court of the Crimson King but never listened to other albums and was not aware that it was prog or of anything similar. Years later I got into Yes and when I went searching for more Greg Lake Crimson discovered ELP and then things started to click. To me is seems the average person isn't really aware of Pink Floyd or Rush being prog. I think people should go full throttle so they could easily tell what makes it different and if they like it. 

I was the same here. First I discovered Renaissance and Camel, then classic Yes came along followed by pre Collins Genesis, ELP, Tull, Floyd, Gentle Giant, and  PFM. I did not know they were Progressive despite knowing of the bands for many years before owning their albums. I did not even now that such a musical genre excisted. It was just a form of music I somehow connected with a common thread, one band led to another band in a line of discoveries long before the internet came into being.

As for Rush, Fly by night was my introduction. It was a cheap CD sold for a few quid so I picked up a copy as I really liked the cover art. I guess a lot of records were sold due to the really cool cover art back in the day. The track I picked up on for some unknown reason was By-Tor and the Snow Dog. It sort of opened the door for me to explore further and eventually move into more hard rock and metal.

Edited by scruffydragon - June 10 2018 at 05:32
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 05:50
To answer the O.P., even after so long, I recommend Caress Of Steel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567