Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 14:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

As a young teen, first hearing Rush in 1975-76......Prog meant nothing to me. Not even sure I heard that term or read about it in music mags. Pink Floyd was considered psychedelic rock, and so on.....

Rush to me along with Yes, Tull and Floyd was simply rock music that was different than FM radio rock like Sabbath, LZ, The Who. 
Even when Rush was releasing 2112 to PW......it was simply just great music. I also never had any issues with Ged's vocals.
During that period, you could not find a more prolific drummer that created so much excitement on stage. Neil progressed into a monster drummer and helped push Rush into its own genre....

Rush is essentially its own genre 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 14:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Maybe the header should be changed to "If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With 'Tush'..."

The ZZ Top song? LOL
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 17:01
I guess you could say, those new to prog shouldn't RUSH it?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 18:13
They merely adopted the prog.   We were born in it, molded by it--  I didn't hear pop until I was already a man by then it was nothing to me but deafening.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 18:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

They merely adopted the prog.   We were born in it, molded by it--  I didn't hear pop until I was already a man by then it was nothing to me but deafening.

*willo_stardüüst_ii* View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *willo_stardüüst_ii* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 19:16
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I guess you could say, those new to prog shouldn't RUSH it?

Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 21:02
If you are new to prog, start with whatever the f**k you want. :)
*willo_stardüüst_ii* View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *willo_stardüüst_ii* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 22:25
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 02:09
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa; who do you think you are coming in here and FREELY choosing bands to start with and like? What are you, some kind of human being, complete with freewill and personal taste?! Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 04:51
Ok, so where should they start? 

I actually am not sure where most people who are new to prog start these days. I suppose it depends on what they are already familiar with. I would think many would probably start with Pink Floyd since most people are probably already at least somewhat familiar with them. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:10
People start where they start, that's where they start!

I'd imagine most getting into Pink Floyd FIRST, regardless of whether the consensus is they constitute "progressive rock" or not. That's how it feels here in the North East USA, anyway.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:41

That's true. I started where I started and that's where I started.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 13:34
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Isn't it crazy how you just start starting? I started with Yes Tongue.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 13:52

I'd imagine most getting into Pink Floyd FIRST, regardless of whether the consensus is they constitute "progressive rock" or not. That's how it feels here in the North East USA, anyway.

Whether PF takes them to prog depends on two things. One ofcourse is they have to be familiar with Pink Floyd in the first place and be curious enough to want to explore further and look for other similar bands. The second is they have to have heard the term prog somehow(either through friends or relatives or through the internet). So basically they just have to add up these things in their head. Not everyone does though. I'm sure there's a lot of people who just think of PF as just classic rock and stop there. I have seen many articles online that don't even mention PF as one of the main prog bands so it just depends.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 18 2018 at 13:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 15:19
"Hear me now and believe me later," I started with Tangerine Dream!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2018 at 05:44

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Isn't it crazy how you just start starting? I started with Yes Tongue.

I'm a self starter who starts starting things. Big smile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 09:18
I started with Yes and Pink Floyd.
What does that mean, I WONDER?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 12:59
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The second is they have to have heard the term prog somehow

Not necessarily. Although I had been listening to prog from about the mid '70s onward, I did not become aware of the terms "progressive rock", "prog", or even "art rock" until sometime during the '90s. I didn't really know what to call the music from such groups as Van der Graaf Generator. But that didn't stop me from getting into undeniably serious prog.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 22:22
^I become aware of term prog and what kind of music it is in the begin of eighties. What people think then about prog in Finland wasn´t very positive. My other brother told me it was stupid, too complex music. Anyway my oldest brother had liked Pink Floyd and he had recorded Time after Dire Straits Making Movies album, and when I heard that it hit me immediately! Still got few years I really started to interest prog, but that time I really didn´t care anymore what was commonly said although prog was still out of that time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 00:29
I really didn't like Rush in the seventies especially Hemispheres . Tom Sawyer did get me interested though.
My basis taste at that time as a teenager was 'tacky'. I didn't like anything blues/hard rock based. Add a few synths and my ears pricked up. Loved ELP and Rick Wakeman straight off the bat. Age does make a difference though I'm sure. As a 15 year old these were perfect. Taste changes as you get older and you appreciate different things so it depends on that as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>