Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in New York

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in New York
    Posted: April 08 2018 at 12:27
Hi, I am going to visit New York for the first time. Can you give me any advice what to see or visit regarding to prog?

Thanks.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 12:52
Hell's Kitchen for Robert Fripp's Exposure.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 14:36
Django Bates mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N19rEz26Ufw
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 09:13
Hi,

NY has prog?

I have to go look at the dictionary, now!

Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 10:39
 Lots of great venues in the tri state area. You probably need to check some schedules to see who is playing and when.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 10:45
not a place that I can think of but we do get great acts passing thru all the time---more jazz fusion on a regular basis than prog
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 11:14
I have never been to this place, but would like to see it someday:

I haven't been to NYC in about 18 years, but I used to go to a small CD store called Outer Music which was down the street from the Strand Bookstore back in the 1990s. I don't know if it's still there anymore. Anyway, if you want to check out a cool used bookstore, the Strand was always a favorite of mine. I never left that bookstore without purchasing something.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 13:06
I think Downtown music gallery is the place that at one point was called Lunch for your ears. They changed the name in the early 90's. I was there in 1989 while seeing Al Di Meola and John Mclaughlin in the area and remember visiting the store. The only thing I really remember about it is that the owner didn't have any categories for the music just a to z. He said you want to know what it sounds like? Put it on. Smile

Edit: I stand corrected. They were two different places. One guy worked at both though. 

http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 10 2018 at 13:22
Eine19 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eine19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Hell's Kitchen for steroids for sale Robert Fripp's Exposure.

been there once, can recommend too!
also thanks for other recommendations i found here as i've never been to some of them!

Edited by Eine19 - December 03 2018 at 19:03
 Post Reply Post Reply