Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these bands do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [31.71%]
13 [31.71%]
12 [29.27%]
3 [7.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Prog
    Posted: April 08 2018 at 17:21
Which of these bands do you like the most?

Edited by ReactioninG - April 08 2018 at 17:22
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 17:35
10cc are big fun. I don't care much about the others.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 18:13
I'd have to give it to ELO, they actually wrote songs .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 18:22
To sum up my views on all four bands:

I love all four bands. I probably appreciate ELO's early, more proggy work (e.g. El Dorado) less than I do APP's. ELO's latter-day proggy album "Time" is probably better overall than any individual album the four bands here put out. For their pop albums I'm probably fan #1 of their poorly received "Balance of Power." APP's albums are all consistently very good or great, but I tend to often go for individual tracks. Asia has two album's I value, the debut and Astra. I think Astra is underrated. 2008's Phoenix is very good and their most proggy album.  I like an album by Payne era Asia called "Aria." 10cc has a lot of great to phenomenal individual tracks, but I don't really like any of their albums all that much. Sometimes they sound a bit contrived and repetitive, and trying too hard to be funny or clever. Nonetheless they probably have the biggest high points of any of these bands. There is a truly amazing Eric Stewart solo album from 2009 called "Viva La Difference" that I wish all 10cc albums were like. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 22:09
No vote as I've heard bugger all of Asia. The other three I'd list among my favourite bands so it'd be near-impossible to decide anyway. 

Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

I'm probably fan #1 of their poorly received "Balance of Power." 
Fan #1, meet fan #2 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 23:04
10cc
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 01:44
APP > ELO > 10cc
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 04:03
I like all of them to some extent, but 10cc are my favourites. Sheet Music is one of the all-time classics.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 04:14
10CC
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 04:39
I'd have to go with ELO mostly for their first three albums, with APP a close second. It's nice to see that both Alan Parsons and Jeff Lynne are still performing live and still playing some of their early stuff (like The Raven and 10538 Overture).
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 04:39
I guess the poll means the Asia of the 80's, wich I don't like very much.

I do like the 90's Asia with John Payne. Not as a progband, but as a melodic rockband. One of the best melodic rockbands of the 90's, when melodic rock was almost non-existent.
But I chose Alan Parsons Project, because in the periode they peaked, they peaked more than the others (in my opinion).

If the poll would've included Barclay James Harvest, they would've gotten my vote. The most symphonic band of the softer bands, in my opinion.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:11
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

If the poll would've included Barclay James Harvest, they would've gotten my vote. The most symphonic band of the softer bands, in my opinion.

Same for me, they really rulled in that particular niche.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:32
Although I'm not familiar with all albums by all bands(just the "hits" for ELO and 10cc)I voted anyway and for APP at that.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:35
^^ Exactly that.

Almost unrivalled. Only Mandalaband, Alan Parsons, Keats, Al Stewart and Moody Blues are in the same league.

On the other hand: hardcore proglovers hate Barclay James Harvest (according to the posts I read on this forum), but if you like slow, melodic, spiritual, dreamy prog, Barclay James Harvest is really a treat.

One of my all-time favorite soft-rock bands.

Edited by Kingsnake - April 09 2018 at 05:36
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:49
Alan Parsons Project out of these

Edited by Cristi - April 09 2018 at 05:49
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 07:12
APP
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 07:52

I bet you do / would like Solution's "Cordon Bleu", these Dutch guys played more or less in the same league as BJH
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 08:08
ELO by far, followed by APP. Asia is a disaster imo

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 09:08
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I bet you do / would like Solution's "Cordon Bleu", these Dutch guys played more or less in the same league as BJH

Okay, I will try them out. I know them only by name, never gave them a spin.

I must say, because I'm a dutchman, I sometimes don't like the dutch accent in the english language.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 09:19
You're safe here, curiously, the singer has excellent pronunciation (as much as I can be a judge on this matter, mind you, myself being portuguese)
If you can, try to listen to the tracks in their original sequence (the 2005 compilation even went to the extreme of splitting a single track on separate discs ????) and choose studio not live versions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>