Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [71.43%]
12 [28.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close to the Edge vs Heart of the Sunrise
    Posted: April 13 2018 at 18:38
Two songs that sends you shivvers to the bone which do you listen to the most.

Edited by Icarium - April 13 2018 at 18:41
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 19:11
Close to the Edge, bien sûr.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:11
ones long and ones short so I always go for the long one---CTTE easily.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:18
Both are all-time favourites, but in terms of the "sends shivers to your bones" department I'd give Heart of the Sunrise the slightest edge.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 20:47
Close to the Edge easily.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 21:42
The more I listen to Fragile, the more I come to believe it's a mess. I find Heart of the Sunrise to painfully lack cohesion. Close to the Edge on the other hand, despite several shortcomings, flows quite naturally. 
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 22:29
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

The more I listen to Fragile, the more I come to believe it's a mess. I find Heart of the Sunrise to painfully lack cohesion. Close to the Edge on the other hand, despite several shortcomings, flows quite naturally. 

Fragile was all about individual members showing off their strengths---demonstrates how the Yes sound came to be--now that they had the perfect 5 members----with a few group songs added to highlight their new sound----very interesting album in that sense ---CTTE was the perfection of this collaboration.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 23:01
Heart of the Sunrise. Fragile is my favourite Yes-album. I like albums that lack cohesion.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 01:44
The only song that can beat out Heart of The Sunrise, is Close to The Edge.

Close to The Edge is pretty much always/the only guaranteed #1 prog rock song for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 01:53
"...Seasons will pass you by....."
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy_tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 05:02
The one with a Hammond organ solo of course.Big smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:04
better of the two.. CttE. Simply the best thing that has come out of prog.  Perfection

favorite...  HotS. It hits my G repeatedly with substantial length, incredible girth, and has the courtesy to make breakfast for me in the morning...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

better of the two.. CttE. Simply the best thing that has come out of prog.  Perfection

favorite...  HotS. It hits my G repeatedly with substantial length, incredible girth, and has the courtesy to make breakfast for me in the morning...

Agree with the second part certainly.  Heart and South Side of the sky are my favourite Yes songs and when you put them together with Roundabout, makes Fragile my favourite Yes album.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:14
yeah South Side .....ummm hmm.. gives me the chills every time I hear it. Amazing stuff man.  Tales is my favorite.. but Fragile is not far behind.  Didn't care much for Bruford and Wakeman's pieces.. but otherwise... A+ stuff all the way through.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:46
Er....hasn't this poll been done before in a zillion different ways.....?
Milky Way over Three Musketeers.......

;)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 07:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Er....hasn't this poll been done before in a zillion different ways.....?

well.. since I love ya Doc...  I'll give it some time and let this poll die.. and later do one  up Micky style for the zillion plus one version

watching others have sex or participating in sex yourslelf

to me the distinct difference between those two songs...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:31
Uh...huh.....you know they say that those who talk about it all the time are usually the ones who ain't getting any,

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:35
They both repeat themes and sections like crazy but I'll go with CTTE.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 14 2018 at 08:35
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Uh...huh.....you know they say that those who talk about it all the time are usually the ones who ain't getting any,

;)

they?... THEY?.. who are these THEY...

sex Doc.. come on man... it's SEX!!!!  It's like music and booze... the things that make life living... just because you talk it and sing it's praises don't mean you ain't getting any.  In fact.. you more you get.. the more you love to talk. 

Especially here...for poor livin' in mama's basement tea totalling Prog fan who need silly Peart lyrics to muster the courage to even talk to women and would get sh*t faced on a 2nd bottle of beer hahah.

I think you got the 'they' mixed up..'they' say the more you hate on something.. the more you secretly love it. Though I suppose that makes me a misogynist, racist, white power nativist, fundie red hatted Trump lover for I'll hate on them all day long haha
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 13:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

But haven't you said that CttE pop and not prog?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>