Poll Question: What is your favoured song
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [71.43%]
12 [28.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 13:31
Heart of the Sunrise is good. Close to the Edge is a master work 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 13:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

better of the two.. CttE. Simply the best thing that has come out of prog.  Perfection

favorite...  HotS. It hits my G repeatedly with substantial length, incredible girth, and has the courtesy to make breakfast for me in the morning...

But haven't you said that CttE pop and not prog?

I never said such a thing... ehh.. stupid thing for me to say considering I created the Crossover prog genre here that is now an accepted subgenre used throughout the prog listening world.. not just on this site.

And what I said was it wasn't symphonic prog in structure.. but prog in the form and structure of a pop song.  In fact I just didn't say so.. I showed just why it is.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are smart enough to know pop and prog are not mutually exclusive.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 17:48
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Both are all-time favourites, but in terms of the "sends shivers to your bones" department I'd give Heart of the Sunrise the slightest edge.
Yes, this is how I feel Though I love CTTE a lot, Heart of the Sunrise has and edge over it, at least for me.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 18:30
Two fantastic songs,I can't decide !!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 21:10

better of the two.. CttE. Simply the best thing that has come out of prog.  Perfection

favorite...  HotS. It hits my G repeatedly with substantial length, incredible girth, and has the courtesy to make breakfast for me in the morning...

I never said such a thing... ehh.. stupid thing for me to say considering I created the Crossover prog genre here that is now an accepted subgenre used throughout the prog listening world.. not just on this site.

And what I said was it wasn't symphonic prog in structure.. but prog in the form and structure of a pop song.  In fact I just didn't say so.. I showed just why it is.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are smart enough to know pop and prog are not mutually exclusive.

Mmm... I guess I don't remember exactly how you have said it. I do remember you said it was a pop song, with a pop song structure... I don't actually remember you saying it was not prog (or more specifically symphonic prog... but that may explain the confussion). And yes, I remember the explanation about chorus/verse/chorus thing and so on. However, for me if the song is prog, it sounds a lot like symph prog to me. Oh yeah, and I do believe prog and pop are not mutually exclusive, though some proggers may not be so ready to accept it. I believe there are characteristics of prog, most bands don't have all characteristics, and certainly almost none of them have all characteristics in all of their songs (even the proggiest of bands).
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 02:33

Mmm... I guess I don't remember exactly how you have said it. I do remember you said it was a pop song, with a pop song structure... I don't actually remember you saying it was not prog (or more specifically symphonic prog... but that may explain the confussion). And yes, I remember the explanation about chorus/verse/chorus thing and so on. However, for me if the song is prog, it sounds a lot like symph prog to me. Oh yeah, and I do believe prog and pop are not mutually exclusive, though some proggers may not be so ready to accept it. I believe there are characteristics of prog, most bands don't have all characteristics, and certainly almost none of them have all characteristics in all of their songs (even the proggiest of bands).

I definitely remember SOMEONE saying CTTE is a pop song in disguise...then I brought up the chaotic jazz rock intro, and the discussion seemed to fall apart lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 03:59
Close to the edge of pop or prog ... does it matter ? The essential thing is not to fall.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 21:19
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I definitely remember SOMEONE saying CTTE is a pop song in disguise...then I brought up the chaotic jazz rock intro, and the discussion seemed to fall apart lol.

Yeah, I know, but let's wait and see what Micky has to say about it. He won't let his discussion fall apart so easily.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 21:25
Pfft.....The Mickster just likes to argue and raise hell....for the...well, hell of it.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 05:54
My two favorite songs ever!!!
But my vote goes to HOTS!!!

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 08:07
Both are great but CTTE is in a class by it self.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 08:29
CTTE!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 15:48
Two absolute master peces. I just cannot make a choice
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 16:20
CTTE
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
*willo_stardüüst_ii* View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *willo_stardüüst_ii* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 19:25
uh... heart of the sunrise man......... cmon

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 12:38
I could go either way on this one

both are amazingly awesome

voted Sunrise
Prog On!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 14:31
Originally posted by *willo_stardüüst_ii* *willo_stardüüst_ii* wrote:

??? Cmon?

Heart of the Sunrise cannot compete with the mastery of Close to the Edge
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

*willo_stardüüst_ii* View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *willo_stardüüst_ii* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 19:33
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

??? Cmon?

haha get out!! Im sure there's a way we can both be right

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 20:51

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

??? Cmon?

haha get out!! Im sure there's a way we can both be right

Both are among the most highly regarded Yes songs but to me Close to the Edge is a master work
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12