Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I love The 4th Estate!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I love The 4th Estate!
    Posted: April 14 2018 at 10:20
From exposing Watergate and Clintongate to all of Trump's myriad of wrongs from Russian election meddling to Stormy Denials, I love most of the American press and all that it represents. 

Edited by SteveG - April 14 2018 at 10:37
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 10:30
to be honest: I much prefer the press in countries like Norway and Sweden

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 10:33
So did I until Trump get in. Now I'm their biggest fan.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 16:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

From exposing Watergate and Clintongate to all of Trump's myriad of wrongs from Russian election meddling to Stormy Denials, I love most of the American press and all that it represents. 

hahah.. thanks for sharing that Steve.  Not sure what inspired that love note .. but yeah.. next to our guns the press is our greatest protection from our own government haha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 15:08
I'm just so happy that Trump doesn't live in the dictatorship that he imagines and that the lefty media "keeps him honest". Up to a point! Its the only thing that lets me sleep at night! ha ha 

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2018 at 15:10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 18:40
A thankless, thrilling, stressful, honorable profession where you actually have to write well.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 10:33
I’ve been following the US press very closely for the last year or so, and there are three points that strike me:

I haven’t been able to locate any mainstream media in any form that are not unashamedly biased one way or the other. The one side specializes in deflection and obfuscation, while the other unashamedly ridicules and attacks non-stop. There seems to be no middle ground. There seems to be no attempt at objectivity.

It seems that the moment a question is met with resistance or deviation from the subject, reporters make a point of either not following up or asking a weak subsequent that seems more of a demonstration of token resistance than anything else. Prime example would be a typical Huckabee-Sanders press briefing. Would there be some retaliation otherwise? I don’t know, but from what I've been observing, I would suspect so.

An admirable point seems to be the amount of research that goes into news scoops and background reporting, but it all falls pretty much flat when presented in a tailor-made way to suit the individual political stance of the particular media outlet where it's presented.

All in all, it’s good that it’s there, but it could and should be so much better.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:24
I am not sure it will ever get better, I mean better to what standard? Is there even a reporting standard anymore? Most Americans will say the reporting you could trust ended with Walter Cronkite.

Today all we are getting is a rehash of the latest social media post, they have to or the news will be just that.....news. Info we already have seen or read and nobody cares about anymore.
So what do they do? Create controversy, spread rumors and theories without any investigative work, follow up.

What you also have is like stated, very weak reporting and interviews, questions that a 2nd grader could have thought up.....
It makes total sense for a news agency to focus on the left or right and stay there.......Essentially they will garner about 50% of viewership of a group, probably not a bad business plan within the broadcast world.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2018 at 14:23
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I’ve been following the US press very closely for the last year or so, and there are three points that strike me:

I haven’t been able to locate any mainstream media in any form that are not unashamedly biased one way or the other. The one side specializes in deflection and obfuscation, while the other unashamedly ridicules and attacks non-stop. There seems to be no middle ground. There seems to be no attempt at objectivity.

It seems that the moment a question is met with resistance or deviation from the subject, reporters make a point of either not following up or asking a weak subsequent that seems more of a demonstration of token resistance than anything else. Prime example would be a typical Huckabee-Sanders press briefing. Would there be some retaliation otherwise? I don’t know, but from what I've been observing, I would suspect so.

An admirable point seems to be the amount of research that goes into news scoops and background reporting, but it all falls pretty much flat when presented in a tailor-made way to suit the individual political stance of the particular media outlet where it's presented.

All in all, it’s good that it’s there, but it could and should be so much better.
Good points. The media is biased, no doubt. However, when push comes to shove, they would rather be first with the breaking story then trying to deflect it. And don't think that they don't have their safeguards in place. If Trump is pictured with 10 women peeing on him, Fox news will insist that they only backed the old Tea Party all along and not Trump. etc., etc. The media may be biased but they are not stupid.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 08:56

I'm just so happy that Trump doesn't live in the dictatorship that he imagines and that the lefty media "keeps him honest". Up to a point! Its the only thing that lets me sleep at night! ha ha 

yeah I thought that might be why hahah... perhaps he'll offer up one of his Dictatorial decress.. umm.. ahem.. I mean executive orders..proclaiming a national 'love our media' day.

honestly.. jokes aside.. I don't Trump thinks himself a dictator.. though I suppose in his warped (trump centric.. the hell with American ideals) mind he would rather have that than the 3 headed bureaucratic monster we have ..but what I do think he thinks it is pure folly..  he came in (and ran his campaign on the premise of ) and still today fumes that he can't be CEO of the country... sit back and issue 'laws' and decrees... and let his underlings do the hard part of making it happen. like you know.. actually understanding the issues.. and yet he takes the credit for their work.

that explains a lot of the mess and dysfunction we have had in the Trump Residency in the White House...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 09:05
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I haven’t been able to locate any mainstream media in any form that are not unashamedly biased one way or the other.

that is why most Americans who wish to be informed do NOT rely on mainstream media.. obviously Faux is the worst of the bunch but they are not alone.

what it is about is entertainment.. and ratings.  What networks like Faux, CNN, and MSNBC are doing is not reporting the news.. but competing for ratings for advertising rates sake and one sure way to tamp down ratings is to stop telling people what they don't want to hear.

Faux has long been the trendsetter and Gold Standard for lack of integrety or seriousness..entertainment over facts style of news.... but the left.. like many things..  learns from the successes of the right and has put more emphasis on shaping the news for ratings consumption than merely reporting it.

Like a good many who have the brains to form their own opinions or draw their own conclusions but only need the raw material upon which to base them...  many have ditched mainstream media and gone with independent news sources who generally only report the news..  not try to sway opinions or spotlight THEIR conclusions AS news.

The 3 I use the most are Politco (said to be left of center but never really seen it), Roll Call (pretty much non partisan in all facets) and TheHIll (said to be right of center but never really seen it)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 09:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah I thought that might be why hahah... perhaps he'll offer up one of his Dictatorial decress.. umm.. ahem.. I mean executive orders..proclaiming a national 'love our media' day.

honestly.. jokes aside.. I don't Trump thinks himself a dictator.. though I suppose in his warped (trump centric.. the hell with American ideals) mind he would rather have that than the 3 headed bureaucratic monster we have ..but what I do think he thinks it is pure folly..  he came in (and ran his campaign on the premise of ) and still today fumes that he can't be CEO of the country... sit back and issue 'laws' and decrees... and let his underlings do the hard part of making it happen. like you know.. actually understanding the issues.. and yet he takes the credit for their work.

that explains a lot of the mess and dysfunction we have had in the Trump Residency in the White House...
I don't think that Trump sees himself as a dictator either, only that he thinks that people, like himself, that are of wealth and power are above the law at an extreme level. Just like Nixon. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 09:25
bingo....

hahah you know I can relate to that ...sort of like the old Big Mick at classic PA's... unlike Trump. He did shoot people down here in cold blood out of the blackness of his tortured booze filled heart.. and all he got for it.. was silly warning PM's from the admin team which he promptly ignored.  Not to mention the never to be touched record for deleted and hidden posts. 

Talk about being above the law.. sheesh...

Edited by micky - April 21 2018 at 09:27
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 09:36
flipping the switch again to serious mode...

did you catch Steve that court ruling this week.. in which 3.. count them.. 3 Republican appointed appeal court judges denied another 'executive order' .. that wasn't the news as much as the opinion itself.   I paraphrase...  'left to stand.. this puts us down the road to dictatorship'

paraphrazing all but the main word.. dictatorship...  that is Trump's mindset and his greatest failure as President. He never truly became President of the United States.. all of us..  but has waged executive war on teh elements of the country with don't support him.  That puts him a special pedestal of worst Presidents ever.. you could throw a lot of sh*t about past 'bad' Presidents like Dubya and Carter.. but one could never doubt their love of country. The only thing Trump loves.. is himself.

Edited by micky - April 21 2018 at 09:36
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 13:35
Yes indeed. Also, the Dem party is suing both him and Russia! At least Russia really is rich! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply