9 [13.04%]
5 [7.25%]
13 [18.84%]
4 [5.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 11:35
Playing the Fool
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 23:54
Voted for Yessongs, but speaking about Made In Japan, my opinion is that any of the Jimi Hendrix live albums would comfortably beat it, as would the Live In Leeds (The Who) album, as would The Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East concert. But the Deep Purple live album has the reputation and people know it well, so it gets all the votes (not that it's a bad album).
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 06:26
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Voted for Yessongs, but speaking about Made In Japan, my opinion is that any of the Jimi Hendrix live albums would comfortably beat it, as would the Live In Leeds (The Who) album, as would The Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East concert. But the Deep Purple live album has the reputation and people know it well, so it gets all the votes (not that it's a bad album).

I was admittedly a bit inconsistent on "Prog Related" by including Deep Purple but not some others incl. the ones you listed and David Bowie, so they didn't have the chance to compete. here. Personally I'd pick Deep Purple over all of these based on personal taste but these are great live albums, too, and it would've been interesting to see whether some of them could've snatched themselves a rank between prog's most treasured bands in such a live album poll. 
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 11:06
These are all great albums, but these are mostly great collections of songs played very similarly to the original studio albums. When I think of 'best live albums', this connotes for me a situation in which the song is played very differently, either a new arrangement, or there is substantial improvisation that makes the piece different from the studio album, or there are really stunning extended solos, so that the live version is special. 

The Fish, and Yours is No Disgrace on Yessongs are different (but not really the rest of Yessongs). Having Richard Sinclair sing on A Live Record is somewhat different. The one that is most consistently different, though, is Made in Japan, with its extended guitar and organ solos. However, I am not a huge Deep Purple fan, so this album for me just isn't as good as the Camel, Yes, or other albums in the list.

So...under slight duress I voted for Camel, given it looks like it needs some help, but I agree that some of Jimi's live albums, or the Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore, or some (many!) of Zappa's live albums, would be better choices for 'best live' albums that are special/different. I also like the live version of Garden of Dreams on The Flower Kings 'Meet the Flower Kings' album, which is very different from the studio version of the tune. But I guess that one didn't make it through the semi-finals.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 11:09
Maybe I should by the Yessongs album. I only know it by YouTube.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 11:47
^I'd wait until the next remaster.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123