Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List one great album per year for the nineties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List one great album per year for the nineties
    Posted: April 14 2018 at 23:12
There has been this same kind of lists from the 2000`s albums. Now Nineties. Here´s mine:
1990 - Pekka Pohjola: Sinfonia No.1
1991 - Talk Talk: Laughing Stock
1992 - 22 Pistepirkko: Big Lupu
1993 - Tom Waits: the Black Rider
1994 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Let Love In
1995 - Sonic Youth: Washing Machine
1996 - John Parish & P J Harvey: Dance Hall at the Louse Point
1997 - Radiopuhelimet: Avaruus
1998 - Sonic Youth: a Thousand Leaves
1999 - Absoluuttinen Nollapiste: Suljettu

Edited by Mortte - April 17 2018 at 21:56
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 00:17
1990 - Death Angel - Act III
1991 - Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow
1992 - Testament - The Ritual
1993 - Paradise Lost - Icon
1994 - Marillion - Brave
1995 - Tad Morose - Sender of Thoughts
1996 - Evereve - Seasons
1997 - Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
1998 - Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
1999 - Paradise Lost - Host

just one album per year was hard, there are many others I thought of, maybe another list in the near future :)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 01:57
^yes, it´s hard, I also had to change my list, because Waits Black Rider is one of my all time favourites. That Fishbone album before changing is of course also really great!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 02:51
1990 - Annihilator - Never, Neverland
1991 - Queen - Innuendo
1992 - Neneh Cherry - Homebrew
1993 - Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
1994 - Brooklyn Funk Essentials - Cool and Steady and Easy
1995 - Saga - Generation 13
1996 - Groove Collective - We the People
1997 - Fish - Sunsets on Empire
1998 - 4Hero - Two Pages
1999 - Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity

Apparently the nineties didn't have much to offer to me, except some great hiphop, tiphop, drum&bass, crossover/rapmetal and the occasional thrashmetal. This was also the decade of boy- and girlbands and stupid summer-hits. Some people say the nineties were better than the eighties. Well, every decade has his lowpoints. The nineties were also dominated by MTV unplugged. Every single artist that ever live recorded an acoustic album.

I didn't really care for eurohouse, alt.rock, grunge and (highschool-)punkrock.
Luckily there was a renaissance of southern rock and some metalbands in the late nineties.

1997 and 1995 and 1991 turned out to be really good years, I have dozens of albums to chose from.
I had a really hard time picking out an album for 1992 and 1996.

In these years I didn't listen to the music that was released that day, I listened to old music ( I was still discovering music, as I was 14-24, in that decade). I only started to listen to the music of the nineties a few years later. Except for Jamiroquai, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Faith No More, because I knew people who played that music. I started with discovering metal and than jazzfunk/triphop/drum&bass.
The whole grung/alt.rock I never really gave any attention to.

Thanks to this list I'm all into jazzfunk/triphop, wich is the best this decade had to offer (in my opinion), mixing funk, jazz, r&b, hiphop, fusion, ethnic music and so on.

This was still a decade heavily directed by the recordlabels. So there's a lot of bands that never got a chance in those days. As the internet provides us with small-label-bands and demo's from that decade, there's a lot to re-discover.

Luckily more and more artists founded their own labels (diy) and a lot of non-popular music still hit the markets. Especially dancemusic and hiphopmusic found ways to release their albums.

This was also a very expensive decade. CD's cost somewhere between 20-40 guilders (10-20 euros) a piece.
We were really ripped off by the big labels and recordshops.
Luckily those days are far behind.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 03:17
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

1990 - Annihilator - Never, Neverland
1991 - Queen - Innuendo
1992 - Neneh Cherry - Homebrew
1993 - Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
1994 - Brooklyn Funk Essentials - Cool and Steady and Easy
1995 - Saga - Generation 13
1996 - Groove Collective - We the People
1997 - Fish - Sunsets on Empire
1998 - 4Hero - Two Pages
1999 - Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity

Luckily there was a renaissance of southern rock and some metalbands in the late nineties.

nice list (I don't know 4 albums but the other 6 are great)

metal did quite well in the 90s, especially in Europe, it became quite diverse, extreme metal fans can give even more explanations (I listen to little of these genres, but I do know they were pretty popular back then). 

But doom metal, whether traditional or combined with death metal, gothic metal, power metal (although I listen to little of it these days), even some groove metal bands were ok (the unique Morgana Lefay which were a combination of groove and power metal), progressive metal and many others. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 03:38
I am not also huge nineties music fan, but I like nineties mainstream sound much more than eighties (that plastic synth & drum sounds, horribilities like Wham, Modern Talking, Bad Boys Blue).

Anyway even nineties wasn´t as a whole even near the greatness of 60-70 music, in nineties some of my favourite artists (Sonic Youth, P J Harvey, Tom Waits, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Nomeansno, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, 22 Pistepirkko, Radiopuhelimet) made really great albums. Also have to mention Haikara made really great comeback album.

In the end of eighties and begin of nineties there was a great alternative wave in Finland, lots of great albums were made, but it ended in the middle-end of nineties.

Edited by Mortte - April 15 2018 at 03:42
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 03:59
1990: Rabih Abou-Khalil - Roots & Sprouts
1991: Klaus Wiese, Ted de Jong & Mathias Grassow - el-Hadra: The Mystik Dance
1992: And Also The Trees - Green Is the Sea
1993: Death - Individual Thought Patterns
1994: Laurie Anderson - Bright Red
1995: Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
1996: Einstürzende Neubauten - Ende Neu
1997: Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯A♯∞
1998: Autechre - LP5
1999: Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark, Volume 1
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 04:18
^^ The mainstream music of the nineties fooled a lot of people, I think. A lot of 'alternative' and grunge bands were just label-made bands. They drove metal and melodic to the background, wich is shame. A lot of bands never got the chance they deserved.

At the end of the nineties something even more terrible happened: numetal. Numetal took (genuine) crossover/hiphop/metal/hardrock and made it into something rediculous (Limp Bizkit etc.)

The great days of deathmetal and thrash-metal were over when Nirvana was pushed to the fore.

The only hardrockband that survived the nineties was Bon Jovi, I guess.
As for progressive rock; only Marillion was big league (EMI), but at the end of the nineties, that was all but gone.

Thank god for the internet. A lot of great music finds its way to us, without having to rely on labels and music televison.

I myself (by the way) am a great fan of drummachines. I love the history of drummachines and sequencers as much as I like flutes, acoustic guitars and mellotrons.
The 80's and 90's were great eras for the development of drummachines.

And the eighties and nineties brought in a new way of making music: sampling.
A lot of great 70's records found their way in the music of dance, hiphop, triphop, drum&bass etc.

And for those who say drummachines and sampling is not making music: it's much easier to play a guitar or blow a flute than to program a sequencer/drummachine and sampling is really hard and is an art of it's own (like timestretching etc.) But that's a whole other discussion.

I love how hiphop and jazz moved forward and didn't stray behind. I love it when bands/acts continu to explore and mix styles.

Edited by Kingsnake - April 15 2018 at 04:18
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 04:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

1990 - Annihilator - Never, Neverland (thrash/speed metal, very progressive and fun also)
1991 - Queen - Innuendo (needs no introduction)
1992 - Neneh Cherry - Homebrew (great combo of soul/triphop, with some great guests like Michael Stipe and Massive Attack)
1993 - Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth (Needs no introduction, great rhodes, flutes, saxes, somewhat modernized Stevie Wonder)
1994 - Brooklyn Funk Essentials - Cool and Steady and Easy (Brooklyn based jazzfunk, wich invites the greatest jazz and funkplayers like Maceo Parker)
1995 - Saga - Generation 13 (Progressive rock)
1996 - Groove Collective - We the People (Jazzfunk from Brooklyn, very versatile)
1997 - Fish - Sunsets on Empire (Progressive rock)
1998 - 4Hero - Two Pages (Award winning drum&bass/jungle crossover with analogue instruments incorporating jazz/fusion and soul)
1999 - Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity (One of the greatest southern rock albums ever made)

nice list (I don't know 4 albums but the other 6 are great)

metal did quite well in the 90s, especially in Europe, it became quite diverse, extreme metal fans can give even more explanations (I listen to little of these genres, but I do know they were pretty popular back then). 

But doom metal, whether traditional or combined with death metal, gothic metal, power metal (although I listen to little of it these days), even some groove metal bands were ok (the unique Morgana Lefay which were a combination of groove and power metal), progressive metal and many others. 

I liked metal in the nineties, but especially powermetal is kind of childish (to me). It has his limits. And suddenly I fell out of love with the music (Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian etc.).
Some bands (more progressive) I still like: Vanden Plas, Threshold etc.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 04:50
1990: Dead Can Dance - Aion
1991: Coil - Love's Secret Domain
1992: Naked City - Leng Tch'e
1993: Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
1994: CMX - Aura
1995: Swans - The Great Annihilator
1996: Tool - Ĉnima
1997: Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
1998: Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis
1999: Rowland S. Howard - Teenage Snuff Film
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 06:27
hmmm.. what a great decade...

1990- Deee-Lite - World Clique
1991 - RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
1992 - Ministry - Psalm 69
1993 - Mazzy Star - So Tonight...
1994 - Soundgarden - Superunknown
1995 - THE album of the 90's.. and IMO the best rock album released since the classic 70's. 
Blind Melon - Soup
1996 - Beck Odelay
1997 - duh... Radiohead - OK Computer
1998 - Madonna - Ray of Light  
1999 - Fantomas - s/t

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 06:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hmmm.. what a great decade...

1990- Deee-Lite - World Clique
1992 - Ministry - Psalm 69
1993 - Mazzy Star - So Tonight...
1994 - Soundgarden - Superunknown
1995 - THE album of the 90's.. and IMO the best rock album released since the classic 70's. 
Blind Melon - Soup
1996 - Beck Odelay
1997 - duh... Radiohead - OK Computer
1998 - Madonna - Ray of Light  
1999 - Fantomas - s/t

Great list also. I thought about nr.1 and nr.2 aswell. Even got a RHCP-tattoo because of that album.
Except, I really don't like Radiohead, but that's just my taste.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 06:57
yeah.. there were a lot of great ones.. had to make some hard choices but everyone of those gets the 5 star Mick seal of approval. It was a wonderfully diverse decade.. and the last gasp (Soup) of rock as a viable creative force as it died IMO the next decade as an important branch of music. It really only lives underground with today's progressive rock artists.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 10:09
Favourites. No repeat artists. Best decade for rock apart from the '70s?

1990 - Naked City - Naked City
1991 - Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (honorable mention to MBV's Loveless)
1992 - Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
1993 - Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
1994 - Tortoise - Tortoise
1995 - Labradford - A Stable Reference (honorable mention to Rachel's Music for Egon Schiele and Cardiacs' Sing to God)
1996 - Swans - Soundtrack for the Blind (honorable mention to Dirty Three's Horse Stories
1997 - Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#
1998 - Boredoms - Super Ae (honorable mention to Duster's Stratosphere)
1999 - Sigur Ros - Agaetus Byrjun

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 12:41
1990: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - st
91: Mr. Bungle - st
92: Praxis - Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis)
93: Cynic - Focus
94: Bondage Fruit - 1
95: Surman/Krog/Rypdal/Storaas - Nordic Quartet
96: Bondage Fruit- II
97: Idiot Flesh - Fancy
98: Pain of Salvation- One Hour by the Concrete Lake
99: Gordian Knot - st
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 13:52
1990 Cocteau twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
1991 Pixies - Tompe le Monde
1992 nirvana - incesticide
1993 Earth - Earth 2
1994 Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
1995 Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre
1996 Turbonegro - Ass Cobra
1997 Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics
1998 Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
1999 The Magnetic Fields - 69 love songs
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 14:46
1990: Fish - Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
1991: Marillion - Holidays in Eden
1992: Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
1993: Magellan - Impending Ascension
1994: Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
1995: Iona - Journey into the Morn
1996: Richard Wright - Broken China
1997: Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase
1998: Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
1999: Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream

Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 15:05
1990: Devil Doll - Eliogabalus
1991: Mr. Bungle - ST
1992: Devil Doll - Sacrilegium
1993: Voivod - The Outer Limits
1994: Jeff Buckley - Grace
1995: Pink Floyd - PULSE
1996: Devil Doll - Dies Irae
1997: Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
1998: Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
1999: Opeth - Still Life
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 15:53
A few faves, just off the cuff....

1990- Babes in Toyland - Spanking Machine
1992 - 10,000 Maniacs - Our Time in Eden
1993 - Breeders - Last Splash
1994 - Loreena McKennitt - The Mask and the Mirror
1995 - Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
1996 - Wilco - Being There
1997 - Bjork - Homogenic
1998 - Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel  
1999 - Rollins Band - Get Some Go Again
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 20:27
Off the top of my head:

1990: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Good Son
1991: Entombed - Clandestine
1992: Bel Canto - Shimmering, Warm and Bright
1993: Belly - Star
1994: Lush - Split
1995: The Cardigans - Life
1996: Immolation - Here in After
1997: Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
1998: Marge Litch - Fantasien 1998
1999: Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>