Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant vs Van der Graaf Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer? GG or VDGG?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [51.79%]
19 [33.93%]
8 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant vs Van der Graaf Generator
    Posted: April 20 2018 at 13:41
Ok, so which band do you prefer?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 14:16
My username, avatar, and signature all say that I vote for Van der Graaf Generator.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 15:43
I used to dislike both intensely.

Then GG just clicked. Now, they are one of my favourite bands. VDGG haven't and now I know they never will. The keyboards are excellent, but Hamill's voice ruins them for me, and I don't really like a lot of their music.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 16:23
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Then GG just clicked. Now, they are one of my favourite bands. VDGG haven't and now I know they never will. The keyboards are excellent, but Hamill's voice ruins them for me, and I don't really like a lot of their music.

This.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 16:26
Went for 'Both'. Almost selected VdGG, but I really do like both at about the same level of intensity. Very different from each other, but both are certainly in the strongly acquired taste category.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 16:36
Gentle Giant
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 17:47
Gentle Giant by far !
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 18:25
Gentle Giant.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 18:38
VdGG
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 18:50
Gentle Giant is really easy to love for me, VDGG is a little more work, but it also is very rewarding stuff.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 19:35
VdGG. I don’t like Gentle Giant. There are things I don’t like about both, but VdGG is way better. I can’t stand GG’s vocals, their skimpy song length, the pace of notes and lack of sustain on notes and so on.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 20:18
VdGG for me. Even though I like the frist 2 GG albums better than any album of VdGG, but in general VdGG has songs I love much more than any GG one.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 20:25
Gentle Giant > Aerosol Grey Machine
Acquiring the Taste < The Least We Can Do...
Three Friends < H to He...
Octopus < Pawn Hearts
In a Glass House < Godbluff
The Power and the Glory < Still Life
Free Hand > World Record
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 21:28
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

Gentle Giant by far !

This---love the vocals in GG---beautiful voices on those guys---hate the vocals of VDGG---plus GG guys are brilliant musicians and trained at that----
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 01:40
VDGG for me. I like Gentle Giant, but there was always something off in their music for me. It might very well be exactly what HackettFan pointed out - lack of sustain, pace of notes, and skimpy song lengths - that I'm not fond of. VDGG, on the other hand, is very dreamy and abstract, which I like a lot.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 01:49
Two fantastic bands, but GG will always edge out VDGG for me. I can't get enough of both, honestly.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 02:36
Two bands who didn't click with me until this last year or so. I prefer Gentle Giant by far, but VdGG are growing on me too with certain tracks.

Edited by Squonk19 - April 21 2018 at 02:37
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 03:54
VDGG all the way.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 09:55
VDGG.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 11:31
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I can’t stand GG’s vocals, their skimpy song length, the pace of notes and lack of sustain on notes and so on.

Many people say that Gentle Giant music is complex. But in spite of the intricacy in their music, I think their music sounds rather small.

By contrast, even when a Van der Graaf Generator soundscape is sparse, it is quite portentous. And then there are the passages where the music spins out of control and they cram a huge number of notes in a short amount of time.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>