Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One-man Bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 17:59
Nash the Slash immediately comes to mind!  Amazing fellow, RIP....

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 18:16

There are lots of one of my favorites, Bumblefoot needs more attention. Guest musicians here and there.
Some of the sound quality here sucks but gives you an idea of this guy's amazing ability to play everything as a virtuoso and produce as well as write incredibly catchy yet complex material. 

Chopin Fanstasie from an early comp

From the first album THE ADVENTURES OF BUMBLEFOOT

From the second album HERMIT

From the third album HANDS

From the fourth album UNCOOL (first and French version) 
later on comp Forgotten Anthology

From fifth album 911

One more!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 18:51
One man band as in a guy who plays all instruments? Jeff Lynne in that case.

Or One man band as in a "band" that is actually really only one guy? (ELO, lol)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 19:04
If you want to take the term literally and mean a one man band who plays live check out this guy. He not only plays everything simultaneously but builds his own instruments. Pretty cool stuff!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 19:06
"For You" - Prince
"Music of My Mind" - Stevie Wonder
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 19:51
No love for Pat Metheny's Orchestrion?

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 20:43
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Nash the Slash immediately comes to mind!  Amazing fellow, RIP....

been listening to FM a lot lately.  A band that deserved more acclaim, and "Phasors on Stun" is such a feelgood track
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 21:41
I say Mike Oldfield. And I think his last album (return to Ommadawn) may be among the ones with less help with outsiders.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 22:03
Adrian Belew did a couple. One was Desire Caught By the Tail.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 22:13
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Vangelis.
Tony Duhig played all instruments on Jade Warrior's At Peace.
Willowglass (Andrew Marshall).
I just got At Peace days ago, the only Jade Warrior album I was lacking. I haven’t even listened to it yet. I didn’t know it was just Tony Duhig. Normally he used to team up with Jon Field. It says on the back cover, “All music composed and played by Jade Warrior.” Amusing.

Sooner or later I’ll put my own album out too. I.O.U

Edited by HackettFan - April 22 2018 at 22:14
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 22:45
Shawn Lane
Buckethead
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 01:00
Peter Hammill did a few albums where he played all instruments himself (including drums) except for the occasional sax, for example PH7

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 01:05
One that comes to mind is Bill Holt's Dreamies. 

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 01:43
Rikard Sjöblom is capable of playing all the intruments.
On his latest Gungfly-album he did on most songs play every instrument himself.
On other songs he had help, so it doesn't count, I guess.

Still no love for Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhilow?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 01:47
Also Ian Anderson is worth mentioning.

On Jack-in-the-Green he already played all the instruments without a bandmember,

On his solo-albums he plays almost all instruments with only a little help in the keyboard-department.
On his later solo-albums there are more guest-musicians. I guess he is a terrible drummer, because that's the only thing I have never seen/heard him do,
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 02:42
Alejandro Matos. He played the music on most of his albums on his own. Except for two short minutes of violin on the excellent Freak. He recorded his latest album, La Potestad (also strongly recommended) with a band.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 06:35
Hi,

Hmmm ... in the early days, Porcupine Tree was just SW on his cassettes, was it not?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 06:40
Dan Swano did the first Nightingale album all be himself. It's a great debut. On the second one he worked with his brother and later on a full band. 
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 08:39
This is me.. I just made this, and put a song from my 2nd album along with a video I had made a few years ago.. I don't use anything more advanced than a microphone - I have a mixer with a CD burner installed. I put this up because I know you all have great ears for music, and I just wanted some feedback. Thanks for listening!

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 10:12
^How do you know all of us have great ears, ehe, ehe, ehe... There's soul in your music, so good for a start. I'd welcome something more tight-up. Isn't the drums too much in front... Does it mix well ? We may suggest, but you're the one with the answers. The best way to make sure is try several ways and stick to the most effective...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>