Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson vs. Van der Graaf Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [73.91%]
12 [26.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 16:43
VdGG are in my opinion one of the biggies, just like the so-called "Big 6". the only reason they are not so popular and fare less in this poll is that many people don't like Hammill's voice. I on the other hand love Hammill's voice

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 16:43
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ LOL.....
KC is kicking ass .....and taking no prisoners.

The Prog Archives say otherwise. They say that album for album VDGG wipes the floor with King Crimson in the 1970s.

wait, what?!

Look at their ratings album for album. The only higher rated albums for Crimson are In the Court and Red. VDGG takes everything else in the 1970s. They are a more consistent band. 4 essential masterpieces of prog rock to 3 essential masterpieces of prog rock

your poll question is about preference, so bringing up ratings does not help. You should know by now that KC is pretty much unbeatable in polls in the forum (whether you like it or not, it seems more like "not"). Maybe Magma has a chance against KC, I don't know.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 16:50
The guy builds his arguments based on ratings...

According to ratings, Adele's 21 is the best album of the last 20 years... How's that for credibility?
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 16:50

^ LOL.....

The Prog Archives say otherwise. They say that album for album VDGG wipes the floor with King Crimson in the 1970s.

wait, what?!

Look at their ratings album for album. The only higher rated albums for Crimson are In the Court and Red. VDGG takes everything else in the 1970s. They are a more consistent band. 4 essential masterpieces of prog rock to 3 essential masterpieces of prog rock

your poll question is about preference, so bringing up ratings does not help. You should know by now that KC is pretty much unbeatable in polls in the forum (whether you like it or not, it seems more like "not"). Maybe Magma has a chance against KC, I don't know.

that's because of the unfounded claim that KC made the first prog album, which is nothing but a myth

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:32
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the only reason they are not so popular and fare less in this poll is that many people don't like Hammill's voice. I on the other hand love Hammill's voice

I love Hammill's singing, but I just think King Crimson has better songs in general.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:44
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

the only reason they are not so popular and fare less in this poll is that many people don't like Hammill's voice. I on the other hand love Hammill's voice

I love Hammill's singing, but I just think King Crimson has better songs in general.

I consider the songs to be pretty on par, with perhaps a slight edge towards VdGG. I love their kind of "Faust aufs Auge" compositions (hard to translate German phrase; literally "fist to the eye". "round peg in a square hole" comes close but doesn't quite get it) like for example "Man-Erg". I also like how they sometimes combine two different riffs from a song, a slow one and a fast one, and play them both at the same time

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:44
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

The guy builds his arguments based on ratings...

According to ratings, Adele's 21 is the best album of the last 20 years... How's that for credibility?

How is that for credibility? We are talking about PA here.

PA Ratings and reviews are the people's voice and opinions about a particular artist. Prog fans generally like VDGG more. 4 masterpieces of prog rock to 3. Facts
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:51
Fact? No, entirely subjective.

Prog fans like VDGG more? That explains the result of this poll, eh?

Yes we are talking about PA indeed, where ratings as just as questionable as anywhere else.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:51

^ LOL.....

wait, what?!

Yeah it sure is and people generally prefer Hammill and his crew to Fripp and Co. Just stating fact based on PA's ratings and reviews
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 18:37

Yeah it sure is and people generally prefer Hammill and his crew to Fripp and Co. Just stating fact based on PA's ratings and reviews

Eh, only KC has a top 5 album (ITCOTCK) and two albums in the top 10 (the other being Red) with only VDGG album (Godbluff) in the top 10 (in the last spot). KC's LTIA also ranks higher than Pawn Hearts.  After that, you've got H to He at no. 36 and Still Life way down at no.54.  If you want to argue over no.36 and no.54, carry on.  It's clear that the top 3 KC albums comprehensively beat the top 3 VDGG albums on popularity.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 18:41
Actually, if you take the average ratings of the King Crimson and VdGG Generator albums from the 60s/70s, Crimson comes out slightly higher. I don't think anybody's claimed King Crimson to be a consistent band anyways.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 18:54
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Eh, only KC has a top 5 album (ITCOTCK) and two albums in the top 10 (the other being Red) with only VDGG album (Godbluff) in the top 10 (in the last spot). KC's LTIA also ranks higher than Pawn Hearts.  After that, you've got H to He at no. 36 and Still Life way down at no.54.  If you want to argue over no.36 and no.54, carry on.  It's clear that the top 3 KC albums comprehensively beat the top 3 VDGG albums on popularity.

this has, however, not always been so. for example, when Friede and I joined the archives in 2005 both "Pawn Hearts" and "Godbluff" were 5 star albums, with both of them being in the top 10, and if I remember right the former even being in the top 5.

what probably happened is that many newcomers find it easier to get into KC than into VdGG, and thus their ratings went down.

some of the 5-star ratings for ITCOTCK are actually quite surprising because the reviewers make it clear how much they hate "Moonchild", which is a major part of the album, yet still give 5 stars to ITCOTCK. wtf?

Edited by BaldJean - April 23 2018 at 19:08

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:18
Graaf for me. Strong albums are H to He, Godbluff, Still life and Pleasure dome. I rate these all above Larks, Red and Lizard. Posiedon is my fave Crimson.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:27

If we look at it album for album, ratings wise VDGG is the more consistent band. Let's take a look. This will probably surprise many

In the Court > The Aerosol Gray Machine

In the Wake < The Least We Can Do

Lizard < H to He

Islands < Pawn Hearts

Larks Tongues < Godbluff

SABB < Still Life

Red > World Record

5-2, VDGG on top ratings wise

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - April 23 2018 at 19:28
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:29

Yeah it sure is and people
generally prefer Hammill and his crew to Fripp and Co. Just stating
fact based on PA's ratings and reviews

Eh, only KC has a top 5 album (ITCOTCK) and two
albums in the top 10 (the other being Red) with only VDGG album
(Godbluff) in the top 10 (in the last spot). KC's LTIA also ranks higher
than Pawn Hearts.  After that, you've got H to He at no. 36 and Still
Life way down at no.54.  If you want to argue over no.36 and no.54,
carry on.  It's clear that the top 3 KC albums comprehensively beat the
top 3 VDGG albums on popularity.

this has, however, not
always been so. for example, when Friede and I joined the archives in
2005 both "Pawn Hearts" and "Godbluff" were 5 star albums, with both of
them being in the top 10, and if I remember right the former even being
in the top 5.

what probably happened is that many newcomers find it easier to get into KC than into VdGG, and thus their ratings went down.

some
of the 5-star ratings for ITCOTCK are actually quite surprising because
the reviewers make it clear how much they hate "Moonchild", which is a
major part of the album, yet still give 5 stars to ITCOTCK. wtf?

Pawn Hearts and Larks Tongues are actually tied with a 4.42 rating
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:34
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Actually, if you take the average ratings of the King Crimson and VdGG Generator albums from the 60s/70s, Crimson comes out slightly higher. I don't think anybody's claimed King Crimson to be a consistent band anyways.

Yes..as a matter of fact both bands equally have five 4 star albums and all the rest are 3 stars but VDGG has one 2 star album...And both ITCOTCK and Red are rated slightly higher than any VDGG (Godbluff being their highest )......so based on pure ratings KC actually comes out slightly ahead  by that criteria.

And Hammill thought enough of Fripp to have him play guitar on H To He...but as far as I know Hammill never played on any KC album......ouch.  ;)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:38

If we look at it album for album, ratings wise VDGG is the more consistent band. Let's take a look. This will probably surprise many

Lizard < H to He

Islands < Pawn Hearts

Larks Tongues < Godbluff

SABB < Still Life

Red > World Record

You are cherry picking the early albums in order to create a false comparison.....why in order?   ....the simple fact is as I posted that KC overall is higher in their ratings when looking at the actual catalog of both bands which is the only fair way to evaluate.

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:42

Lizard < H to He

Islands < Pawn Hearts

Larks Tongues < Godbluff

SABB < Still Life

Red > World Record

You are cherry picking the early albums in order to create a false comparison.....why in order?   ....the simple fact is as I posted that KC overall is higher in their ratings when looking at the actual catalog of both bands which is the only fair way to evaluate.

Not cherry picking. Just giving a head to head comparison. Prog Archives also says that VDGG has 4 "masterpieces" while KC only has 3.

;)
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:48

Lizard < H to He

Islands < Pawn Hearts

Larks Tongues < Godbluff

SABB < Still Life

Red > World Record

Not cherry picking. Just giving a head to head comparison. Prog Archives also says that VDGG has 4 "masterpieces" while KC only has 3.

;)

Yes,  you are cherry picking....you are choosing to use the early albums in order  only to compare...why?   that's cherry picking by definition.....as I already pointed out...(you must not have read this)...
Looking at the bands catalogs overall VDGG is slightly lower.
And where on PA does it say masterpieces...? That's most likely the opinion of whoever wrote the article not  a PA consensus.....again you are cherry picking. 
Let's get the facts straight here.

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 19:56

Lizard < H to He

Islands < Pawn Hearts

Larks Tongues < Godbluff

SABB < Still Life

Red > World Record

;)

Yes,  you are cherry picking....you are choosing to use the early albums in order  only to compare...why?   that's cherry picking by definition.....as I already pointed out...(you must not have read this)...
Looking at the bands catalogs overall VDGG is slightly lower.
And where on PA does it say masterpieces...? That's most likely the opinion of whoever wrote the article not  a PA consensus.....again you are cherry picking. 
Let's get the facts straight here.

Ok, let me break it down a bit. When you click on an album on PA it will have some liner notes and where the particular album ranks. The highest quality is obviously a masterpiece. It goes like this:

First tier says, "Essential, a masterpiece of prog rock music."

Second tier says, "An excellent addition to any prog rock collection."

Third tier says "Good but nonessential"

The last one says "Collectors,fans only"

Look at that

;)

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - April 23 2018 at 19:58
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”