Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for feedback (file under: crossover prog)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for feedback (file under: crossover prog)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for feedback (file under: crossover prog)
    Posted: April 23 2018 at 09:19
Hi all. I probably should have joined this message board like ten years ago when my prog pal first introduced me to this site. Nevertheless, here I am.

I put out my first album about a year and a half ago. As you can imagine, it was very difficult to get much of any press or bumps on blogs. I tried marketing it more as an alt-rock record or like a shoegaze record, but there's a lot of prog in the heart of it. Prog's a tough sell for most crowds, and indie blogs and most everyone else do not care. I get it. I'm thankful for what little press I got, but I'd love some feedback from prog fans.

You can listen to the record by going here: http://iancat.bandcamp.com
Also on your Apple Musics and your iTunes, your Deezers, your Amazons, etc.

Here's the original press release we sent out from the now defunct Salieri Records:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, October 28th, 2016

Following the local success of his single "Baggage Claim" from earlier this year, Salieri Records is proud to announce that Massachusetts auteur Ian Cat is releasing his first full-length album, East Coast New England Boy on October 28th. Blending elements of prog-rock, shoegaze, and dreamy folk, Ian eludes all the clichéd trappings of the singer-songwriter debut by offering a heady sonic cocktail mixed with equal parts of maximalist ambition and thoughtful subtlety.

Constructed as a song-cycle chronicling a slipshod hero’s journey to the left coast and back, East Coast balances big statements (see the seven-minute long "Twist and Tumble Journey Through the Dark") with a steadfast devotion to hooky verses and choruses reminiscent of classic Britpop and such 4AD tunesmiths as the Cocteau Twins and Red House Painters. From track to track, the arrangements and production work leapfrog between the scattered fuzz-folk of the Elephant Six collective, the coded warmth of Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and the electrifying tones of such '90s guitar heroes as Billy Corgan and Kevin Shields.

Yet for such an eclectic sonic pallet, every song on the album is anchored by Ian's emotionally fraught and deeply affecting baritone. Whether blasting through the limbic monotony of unrequited expectations on “Purgatory Blues” or murmuring heartbroken couplets in the existential breakdown of the title track, Ian’s unique voice relates the story of a soul lost in both place and time.

Combined with the cinematic pace of the album's sequence, East Coast New England Boy relates a sojourn through our gradually regressing America in search of belonging. With the deliberate churning of alt-rock aesthetics orchestrated underneath, Ian Cat has crafted an album that not only relates his own personal journey, but delivers a thorough exploration of the studio into an equally cathartic, and entirely authentic, listening experience.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 14:37
There is some good songwriting. Definitely proggy-ish... kinda sorta... sound but with a dreamy feel. Don't Find Me Now is proabably my favorite out of the bunch. I suggest you should work on your vocals because you sometimes sound a little bit flat. Personally, I like this type of singing cuz to me it appears more emotional but I'm pretty sure a lot of people have a problem with it.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply