Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Cat - Crossover prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Cat - Crossover prog
    Posted: April 23 2018 at 14:06
Basic bio:

Born January 28, 1987, Boston based musician Ian Laczynski began performing under the moniker Ian Cat in 2012 after the demise of his former power-pop and new wave group Beat Surrender. While co-founder and co-songwriter Stephen Bailey moved to New York City to form The Sharp Shadows, Laczynski moved to Southern California, reconnecting with his progressive rock and shoegaze roots, writing East Coast New England Boy before returning to Massachusetts in 2014.

While recording the album with college friend Matt Jones, Laczynski formed The Crimsons to back his live performances, featuring Jones on drums and seasoned bassist Tom Larney. Performing live in the northeastern United States for nearly three years, Laczynski decided to take a hiatus from the stage in November 2017. Meanwhile, Jones and Larney began performing as the duo Shrink Ray.

Ian Cat is currently focusing on writing a new album.

Music:

"Don't Find Me Now" (4:42)
"Twist and Tumble Journey Through the Dark" (7:27)
"Astral Tune" (2:48)
"Shake the Sheets" (6:38)
"Purgatory Blues" (4:11)
"East Coast New England Boy" (7:12)
"If I Ever Get Back Home" (9:06)

All songs by Ian Laczynski except "Shake the Sheets," written by Stephen Bailey and Ian Laczynski. 
Guitars, vocals, piano, fake Mellotron, occasional hand percussion, and organ by Ian Laczynski. 
Percussion, ostrich guitar and "behind the bridge" guitar on "Don't Find Me Now" by Matt Jones.

"Baggage Claim" (4:22)
"Purgatory Blues" (4:07)

Songs, guitars, vocals, tambourines, piano, and organ by Ian Laczynski. 
Percussion by Matt Jones.

Helpful links:
"If Wilco had written Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in the proud grungy style of a 1990s Britpop band, it would sound a lot like this. ... These tracks are suspension bridges to somewhere else — gently bending, carefully built, and more solid than they first appear." -- Hunter Styles, Valley Advocate 

"... truly a journey that must be experienced in its entirety. ... an impressive soundscape." -- Brian Varneke, The Deli Magazine

"... a listening experience that’s more of a rhythmic voyage than anything else. After you press play, you won’t be listening to the same kind of song twice. It’s refreshing during a time in music where a lot of artists can find themselves stuck in a formulaic rut." -- Rob Duguay, Motif

Spotify (also available on other fine services such as Apple Music, iTunes, Deezer, Tidal, Amazon Music, etc.)

Genre thoughts:
I think the music will best fit under the crossover prog umbrella, as I've preferred to dub the style "progressive shoegaze."
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:17
On Crossover charts. Thanks for suggestion.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 17:55
Awesome, thanks!
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 09:18
Quick question: Where do I find these charts, and am I now allowed to post the album in "review my music"?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 09:34
^You can find the chart here. No one is blocking you from posting in that subforum but it would be kinda misleading of you to do so. It's for artists who are already on the site and encourage people to review them on their page there. There is plenty of places on the forum where people can check out your work, like you're already doing right now in this thread or the one you made in the 'Music and musicians exchange'. We're relaxed about people promoting their music but please don't take this as a permission to post the same thing in multiple subforums cause like everything else we do consider that as spam.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 10:53
Fair enough. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 17:14
Sorry you've been rejected in Crossover Team.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 02:47
Just had a listen to this here the other day and was quite surprised at just how much the music resembled that of The Smiths. It is very rare I come across bands that sound like that.
I don't think it's anywhere near prog rock, but then again it doesn't really need to to be any good.
Best of luck.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply