Poll Question: Pick your poison
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [24.56%]
43 [75.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 19:49
Since this has to be a joke, I voted for Asia.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 19:50
^^ What if it isn't ? 

Shocked
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 20:52
Hysterical poll---LOL

voted Asia---
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 21:15
So no one on here owns an Asia album?Smile Or you just won't admit it. Tongue
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 23:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The sad thing here is not whether or not VDGG wins....(if they don't then pathos will be their catchword from now on), but the fact that Asia had 4 superb musicians who decided to go for the hit song and radio appeal over writing the prog rock they were capable of doing.

You say this as if it is a bad thing. Imagine you are one of them, making awesome prog music but seeing your contemporaries making hand over fist producing more commercial music. Would you not say to yourself, "I could write simpler more commercial songs just as good if not better than those guys."? Why then would you not pursue this avenue?
Another thing I really appreciate about Asia is that all though they went for commercial mass appeal, their music is still very well composed and arranged, and I think it is nice that the general public is exposed to this kind of production and craftsmanship.

I feel no shame in liking both Asia and GTR.

Edited by zachfive - April 25 2018 at 23:25
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 00:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So no one on here owns an Asia album? Or you just won't admit it. 

I own several, shame on me, right?

Edited by Cristi - May 28 2022 at 07:23
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 00:55
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Just had to do it in the heat of the moment. I think Van der Graaf Generator will be the sole survivor in this poll, but only time will tell. I wouldn't be serious about this in my wildest dreams.
Now, you're cutting it fine.

Edited by axeman - April 26 2018 at 00:56
-John
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 02:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Since this has to be a joke, I voted for Asia.

"I mean, seriously, Asia? You framed an Asia poster? How hard did the people at the frame store laugh when you brought this in?"

Tongue Wink LOL

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 02:12
Can´t just vote Asia.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:21
VDGG gets my vote (finally).
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:41
A matter of taste: I can't really stand VanderGraaf Generator. I can't find the appeal.

Whereas Asia: I like their early output very much, I love melodic rock and I love great popsongs. Also love the the John Payne-era. Arena, Aria and Aura are amongst my favorite albums of all time.

Vandergraaf Generator doesn;t even come close to actually move in the slightest bit.
In fact they would lose to any band that they are put against. But that's just my taste.

Asia wouldn't win so easy against other bands though.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:45
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

The sad thing here is not whether or not VDGG wins....(if they don't then pathos will be their catchword from now on), but the fact that Asia had 4 superb musicians who decided to go for the hit song and radio appeal over writing the prog rock they were capable of doing.

You say this as if it is a bad thing. Imagine you are one of them, making awesome prog music but seeing your contemporaries making hand over fist producing more commercial music. Would you not say to yourself, "I could write simpler more commercial songs just as good if not better than those guys."? Why then would you not pursue this avenue?
Another thing I really appreciate about Asia is that all though they went for commercial mass appeal, their music is still very well composed and arranged, and I think it is nice that the general public is exposed to this kind of production and craftsmanship.

There's no shame in liking Alan Parsons, Saga, Queen, Supertramp, Toto, Journey etc. aswell.

I'd say; listen to what you like and don;t pretend to like something you don't like or dislike something you actually like. Life is to short to dislike good music.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:46
Movable topic JfF
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 07:51

I own the first two---you only need a few to get the gist of what they do---and Howe's ability to play tasty guitar hooks on a commercial arena rock band is very nice at times.Big smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 08:53
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I own the first two---you only need a few to get the gist of what they do---and Howe's ability to play tasty guitar hooks on a commercial arena rock band is very nice at times.Big smile

Ok, so how is what they do any different than Journey, Boston, Styx or any other arena rock band? I don't get it.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 09:46
Asia, for their vast natural resources and culinary diversity.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 10:12
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

There's no shame in liking Alan Parsons, Saga, Queen, Supertramp, Toto, Journey etc. aswell.

I'd say; listen to what you like and don;t pretend to like something you don't like or dislike something you actually like. Life is to short to dislike good music.

Aisa is fine. There's no shame in liking Asia, or any of the mentioned bands. Hell, YES kept straddling the fence from the early 80's onward with a more commercial sound. Most of those bands dipped their toes in; Asia just made it a band.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 10:18
Asia had some good poppy songs on that first album

but they were still a huge disappointment to me...

was hoping for much more based on the lineup
Prog On!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 11:10
Asia's debut LP was a good AOR record.
VDGG released lots of great records. Prog records!!!
Not even close.

questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:15
Okay, I definitely prefer the Vandies, so I'll just get that out of the way.

But, I have to say, there's this odd notion that's persists here at PA, which is that the only reason groups (like Asia and Genesis) went for the 'pop' thing is because it is easier to write and is an easy way to make money.

First off, let's give credit where it's due. It's actually not easy at all to write a successful pop song, I mean a song that works in that vein and that people actually choose to buy. Give it a try, see how it goes.

Second, for some, trying to write a well constructed song that grabs a listener's attention can be a far more challenging and creative exercise than writing yet another song in 7/4, which might be a whole lot easier to do, since you can stick to the conventions you already know.

I'm not saying there's never a profit consideration here, and I'm not saying there isn't a whole lot of terrible music for the masses, just that writing successful pop songs may not be the easy path prog folk like to assume.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>