Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Around Can

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do your prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [12.50%]
7 [87.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Around Can
    Posted: April 29 2018 at 00:47
The Inner Space: Agilok & Blubbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7I7ptCQ1ZI

Holger Czukay : Movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OHUG3DqRA

Bruno Spoerri : Glückskugel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea-6Kf-8vjo

Irmin Schmidt & Bruno Spoerri : Toy Planet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eTVDd1vMU
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 05:31
This is a fun collection. Actually I only became aware of Glueckskugel in one of your earlier "4 little gems" polls, but I love it. Or rather, I love about half of it and the rest at least makes me smile.
Agilok & Blubbo is very interesting and shows how much Can already had in their bag when they not even were Can. Irmin is credited with flute and guitar, very surprising, and I like what he makes of it. I wonder whether Michael is already on this album, too, because some of the guitar sounds a lot like him. Some of it is great, overall it's rather tentatively laying foundations than the real thing they should become.
The other two are much more mature. Toy Planet is a very inventive and colourful progressive electronic album and it's a shame that it isn't listed on PA.
Movie is a monster, I listen to it regularly since the time I got it in the mid-eighties, and it has never stopped to amaze me. As good as the rest is, there's no other place to vote.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 07:35
I'm only familiar with Czukay, so I cannot vote before I get to know the others.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 10:14
Yeah guys, Movies is for me a record that sounds like no others. The only album that comes closer is maybe the Eno/Byrne's My life in the bush of ghosts.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 10:57
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Yeah guys, Movies is for me a record that sounds like no others. The only album that comes closer is maybe the Eno/Byrne's My life in the bush of ghosts.

Same association here. Both of these are among my dearest treasures.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 12:22
I have a story about the Eno and Byrne's album. The day I bought the vinyl, my grandmother died. Then I bought the Cd edition and someone fell ill in my family. Another bad thing thing happened when I came back home with the remastered edition few years later. I'm not superstitious, but since that time (about 5 years ago or more) I have not played it.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 12:49
Sad. I'm sorry to read this.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 12:58
Czukay's solo career as a whole ranks ahead of the other post-Can/Can-related careers, so Movies.

Toy Planet comes very close, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 14:24
Yeah, as Lewian said, Toy Planet should be on P.A.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 14:41
Movies

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 14:49
Holger Czukay's catalog has recently been reissued on Cd & Lp.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 14:16
I only know Movies, which I honestly don't like that much. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply