Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubblegum Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 07:32
ELO
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 07:51
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

having watched a bit, I can say there's no such thing as bubblegum prog. 
if people call out prog bands that are easy to listen to as bubblegum, go ahead, whatever...

quite a few negative threads around these days, guess some enjoy that. :(
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

ELO

Ditto! Great call, one of my faves, especially their mint flavour.

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are you really a prog nut?  haha ha.....
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:05
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are you really a prog nut?  haha ha.....

what's a prog nut? 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:36

I always thought that bubblegumpop was music like Spice Girls, Nancy Sinatra, The Osmonds, The Monkees, The Archies etc. aimed at teenagers.

In opposition of more intelligent pop like rock, new wave, synthpop etc.

But as the users of this forum are strongly against anything that resembles popmusic (prog is actually popmusic), they like to bash all bands that score hitsingles.

So, Queen, ELP, Manfred Mann's Earthband etc. are all crap and bubblegum.

-You are right....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop
"The genre was predominantly a singles phenomenon rather than an album-oriented one. Acts were typically manufactured in the studio using session musicians, and most bubblegum pop groups were one-hit wonders.[2] Among the best-known acts of bubblegum's golden era are 1910 Fruitgum Company, the Monkees, the Ohio Express and the Archies, an animated group which had the most successful bubblegum song with "Sugar, Sugar", Billboard Magazine's No. 1 single for 1969. Singer Tommy Roe, arguably, had the most bubblegum hits of any artist during this period, notably 1969's "Dizzy"."Bubblegum pop (also known as bubblegum music or simply bubblegum) is a genre of pop music with an upbeat sound contrived and marketed to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers, which may be produced in an assembly-line process, driven by producers and often using unknown singers. Bubblegum's classic period ran from 1967 to 1972.[1] A second wave of bubblegum began two years later and ran until 1977 when disco took over and punk rock emerged."

-And in no way is Manfred Mann's Earth Band or even ELO for the most part bubblegum imho.....but one could certainly cherry pick songs that might fit into that genre if one played fast and loose with the definition.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:38
I think it's very snob to call out genres as inferior.
Calling one band better than the other and just bashing whole genres is very childish.

I must admit I quite like this thing called bubblegum-pop. But only to some extend. Same goes for deathmetal and rapmusic. Because too much of a good thing is never good.
All music is created to be enjoyed. So why not enjoy it?

I think in secrecy people who create these negative threads are actually liking these genres and bands but are afraid to admit it, because they want to appear as intellectuals.
There's nothing so ignorant and stupid than bashing bands and genres you supposedly don't like.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I always thought that bubblegumpop was music like Spice Girls, Nancy Sinatra, The Osmonds, The Monkees, The Archies etc. aimed at teenagers.

In opposition of more intelligent pop like rock, new wave, synthpop etc.

But as the users of this forum are strongly against anything that resembles popmusic (prog is actually popmusic), they like to bash all bands that score hitsingles.

So, Queen, ELP, Manfred Mann's Earthband etc. are all crap and bubblegum.

-You are right....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop
"The genre was predominantly a singles phenomenon rather than an album-oriented one. Acts were typically manufactured in the studio using session musicians, and most bubblegum pop groups were one-hit wonders.[2] Among the best-known acts of bubblegum's golden era are 1910 Fruitgum Company, the Monkees, the Ohio Express and the Archies, an animated group which had the most successful bubblegum song with "Sugar, Sugar", Billboard Magazine's No. 1 single for 1969. Singer Tommy Roe, arguably, had the most bubblegum hits of any artist during this period, notably 1969's "Dizzy"."Bubblegum pop (also known as bubblegum music or simply bubblegum) is a genre of pop music with an upbeat sound contrived and marketed to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers, which may be produced in an assembly-line process, driven by producers and often using unknown singers. Bubblegum's classic period ran from 1967 to 1972.[1] A second wave of bubblegum began two years later and ran until 1977 when disco took over and punk rock emerged."

-And in no way is Manfred Mann's Earth Band or even ELO for the most part bubblegum imho.....but one could certainly cherry pick songs that might fit into that genre if one played fast and loose with the definition.

It reads like the same story as Punk, Glamrock and Eurohouse.
Is seems all the 'made-up' genres followed eachother, up until this day.

But in the days of bubblegum, progrock did not exist yet. I think the greatest counterparts were psychedelic rock and rhythm and blues.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 08:57
I'd say none should be qualified as Bubblegum Prog. Not even ELO. I might associate bubblegum with early proto-prog for autobiographical reasons: I used to be hooked on these c. 1966:

(and I associate the logo in the lower right corner with PA somehow).
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 09:21

I think in secrecy people who create these negative threads are actually liking these genres and bands but are afraid to admit it, because they want to appear as intellectuals.
There's nothing so ignorant and stupid than bashing bands and genres you supposedly don't like.

Careful you don't hurt yourself coming off that high horse.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 09:23
By the way, can anyone point me to any bluegrass bubblegum rap death metal with ukulele and oboe? Anyone?

Edited by Jeffro - April 30 2018 at 09:23
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 10:42
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Careful you don't hurt yourself coming off that high horse.

Yeah. I just fell into my own trap. A part of being a snob is calling other snobs snobs.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 10:53
^ Negative thread? I don't sense a single ounce of negativity in the OP. The only negativity emanating from this thread comes from you, sir.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 11:37
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It would have been neat back in the days of going underneath school desks and among all the gum deposits and dried up boogers I'd find prog.

You haven't lived until you've chewed a piece of ABC gum in 9/8
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 11:55
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

^ Negative thread? I don't sense a single ounce of negativity in the OP. The only negativity emanating from this thread comes from you, sir.

You are right.
That's why I shouldn't be on forums in the first place. I always do that.
But it's some sort of addiction, I guess.

Also I turned in my sense of humor a long time ago.

Edited by Kingsnake - April 30 2018 at 11:56
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:18
It's quite alright. I totally get your feeling of frustration towards people bashing artists just for the sake of it but I don't think this thread here is guilty of this. Though I have to admit I have no clue about this "bubblegum" notion.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:21
My point on Genesis and Rush is that from producing a lot of the cream betwixt 1970 and 1977 (genesis) and 1975 and 1980 (rush) they suddenly produced an inferior synth pop product to attempt to line their pockets with filthy lucre. Very sad indeed. I suppose my standpoint will probably polarize opinion. It's an old chestnut. I know, but I still can't get over the demise of two pivotal prog outfits.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

My point on Genesis and Rush is that from producing a lot of the cream betwixt 1970 and 1977 (genesis) and 1975 and 1980 (rush) they suddenly produced an inferior synth pop product to attempt to line their pockets with filthy lucre. Very sad indeed. I suppose my standpoint will probably polarize opinion. It's an old chestnut. I know, but I still can't get over the demise of two pivotal prog outfits.

As far as Rush is concerned, they should have written Moving Pictures 2 instead of Signals if they wanted to line their pockets. They could have done that. They chose not to. You can say a lot of things about Rush's 80s output but "cash grab" is not one of them. Yeah, the albums did well but if they truly wanted to cash in, they could have gone the Journey/Foreigner/Van Hagar route. They didn't do that.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:42
Perhaps it's just me. But signals hasn't got a single track on it that I would wish to hear again. It's absolute garbage. From moving pictures to signals is possibly the biggest drop in quality over one release in the history of music. Signals is awful. Period. Moving pictures is not as good as it's predecessors but it's not a heaving pile of electro pop rubbish. Or is my memory of it mistaken?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:45
The Sweet is labled as the quitisential bubbelgum band
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>