Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubblegum Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:45
Who are van Hagar? A Scandinavian van Halen tribute band?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 13:15
80's Rush wasn't influenced by The Monkees or The Osmonds, but by The Police and The Fixx.

And to call The Police or The Fixx bubblegum or garbage is beyond me.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 13:36
Bubblegum just means music for morons in my interpretation. Something that isn't really listened to just mindlessly chewed upon....Thus bubblegum....

Edited by M27Barney - April 30 2018 at 13:37
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 13:56
Leif Garret   
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 14:23
"Owner of a Lonely Heart" comes to mind immediately.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 15:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 20:14
It's a bit of an oxymoron in my opinion. Sure, there is some cheesy sounding prog but I don't think I would call any of it "bubblegum."

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 20:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's a bit of an oxymoron in my opinion. Sure, there is some cheesy sounding prog but I don't think I would call any of it "bubblegum."

"Owner of a Lonely Heart."  

At the 40th Anniversary concert in Chicago, there were many families including parents and their young "tween" daughters.  

When OOALH was played, said tweens gave out a collective squeal of delight = the definition of bubblegum.  

Howe, on the other hand, looked like he had just eaten a rabbit poo sandwich as soon as he started to play that song.  (Tip o' the hat to Lazland for the "rabbit poo" analogy). 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 22:12
Aye 90125 is awful. I'd rather eat a dogsh*t sarnie than listen to that again. But Yes did some rather better stuff later on. So I will leave them out of the prog sell out set!

Edited by M27Barney - April 30 2018 at 22:15
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 00:03
Nothing to do with prog, but the Sweet is called bubblegum and I think many are thinking them to be absolutely rubbish band. Really recommend all seventies heavy music fans to listen their Sweet Fanny Adams-album, itīs in my ten best seventies heavy albums list.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 02:29
Thought the sweet were glam-rock?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 02:33
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Who are van Hagar? A Scandinavian van Halen tribute band?

no, this is how some people named the Sammy Hagar years with Van Halen. Obviously "Van Hagar" is meant to be a derogatory term. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 02:37
^The Sweet was one of the major glam-rock bands from a movement to which also belonged: Middle of the Road, Slade, Gary Glitter, Suzi Quatro, Mud, David Cassidy etc. etc. I was 11, 12, 13 in those days, so these bands were a stepping stone on my way to prog. I might classify some of these as bubblegum, but not The Sweet's later output.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 03:32
I think it was a small step from bubblegum to glamrock.
Both were manufactured and producer-driven with lots and lots of help from outside-writers.

I like glamrock because of it's playful and sexual approach. Not as a genre but more as a way of songwriting (Queen, Uriah Heep, Roxy Music).
For the same reason I can enjoy disco not as genre but more incorporated in music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 04:16
Owner of a lonely heart(to me at least)is pop not bubblegum. It's not even prog so I wouldn't call it bubblegum prog even if I did think it was bubblegum. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 05:10

Perhaps it's just me. But signals hasn't got a single track on it that I would wish to hear again. It's absolute garbage. From moving pictures to signals is possibly the biggest drop in quality over one release in the history of music. Signals is awful. Period. Moving pictures is not as good as it's predecessors but it's not a heaving pile of electro pop rubbish. Or is my memory of it mistaken?

You wouldn't be the first person to abandon Rush after MP. Yes, Signals, and subsequent albums were quite different than Rush's 70s output and they went pretty heavily into synths, as many, many 70s rock bands did in the 80s. Bigger hair, more synths, more power ballads, more music in general from bands in the 70s that rocked and now in the 80s were venturing from rock to a more adult contemporary sounding music. No question about that but again to say that Rush went that way in order to line their pockets is simply wrong. 

Edited by Jeffro - May 01 2018 at 05:14
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 05:11
I must confess - the first single I bought was -"Fox on the run" by "the sweet". I think they produced some of the better music from the glam-rock genre  (after queen of course). I prefer to do my dad-dancing to "teenage rampage" or "blockbuster" (only when I've imbibed enough alcohol of course) - I am not dancing round my hand-bag to "Dancing Queen" by abba....Cool I am an awful dancer - my one-foot dad-dancing moves are legendary at family parties - possibly due to the comic factor rather than any technical merit. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 05:16
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Perhaps it's just me. But signals hasn't got a single track on it that I would wish to hear again. It's absolute garbage. From moving pictures to signals is possibly the biggest drop in quality over one release in the history of music. Signals is awful. Period. Moving pictures is not as good as it's predecessors but it's not a heaving pile of electro pop rubbish. Or is my memory of it mistaken?

You wouldn't be the first person to abandon Rush after MP. Yes, Signals, and subsequent albums were quite different than Rush's 70s output and they went pretty heavily into synths, as many, many 70s rock bands did in the 80s. Bigger hair, more synths, more power ballads, more music in general that was venturing from rock to more adult contemporary. No question about that but again to say that Rush went that way in order to line their pockets is simply wrong. 
To be fair - I'm offering that as an explanation to attempt to exonerate the Rush trio - I can forgive the output due to greed - they are only human....Mind you if you are saying that they went that way because they thought it was better.....how come they didn't do any track longer than six minutes?? - They could have done a couple of nostalgic releases surely?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 05:21

Sure. Owner of a Lonely Heart sounds just like it was written for the Archies or the Monkees in the 60s/70s. Confused

Good lord, if we actually think that Owner of a Lonely Heart is an example of bubblegum rock then I just don't know what to say anymore. I think people need to brush up on the bands that are considered to be bubblegum and exactly the type of music they were producing. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 05:32
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Sure. Owner of a Lonely Heart sounds just like it was written for the Archies or the Monkees in the 60s/70s. Confused

Good lord, if we actually think that Owner of a Lonely Heart is an example of bubblegum rock then I just don't know what to say anymore. I think people need to brush up on the bands that are considered to be bubblegum and exactly the type of music they were producing. 

Exactly. Well said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>