Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubblegum Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 15:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^You could probably add all hair metal to that list as well although I doubt many people would refer to it as bubblegum despite the fact it appealed to mostly teenage girls. Heck, I know one woman who is actually a friend(ok more like an email buddy/facebook friend since I rarely see her)who is about 50 and was into that stuff at the time being that she's about the right age. Actually, she still likes a lot of that music! I tease her about it. She probably could easily make fun of my prog music too though. 

LOL!  I enjoy all sorts of music, and much popular music was cleverly composed and performed, despite insipid lyrics.  

When I was growing up, I practically lived at a friend's house, and he had a bunch of younger sisters who were into their brand of pop music and bubblegum.  Back in those years (early 1970s in USA), popular bands included the Partridge Family, Bay City Rollers and others.  (my friend and I would hunker down and listen to Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie and eventually Yes and ELP).

Here, have some!  The clothes, haircuts and stage vibe were all aimed directly at the little lassies!!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 06:18
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Here, have some!  The clothes, haircuts and stage vibe were all aimed directly at the little lassies!!  

What? No flowers in your hair?

The shame! The total shame! 

I thought that most of America, at least in a college town and big city (we were in Madison, WI), were less into these things, than some more serious music. Many bands got the attention in Chicago, that Madison did not get, but I only remember Madison as having Herman and the Hermits ... not many others. Madison was too hip (huge university town!) for these bubblegum things, and the girls at West High (smelly witches in hair coloring!) did not like Chicago, or Jimi, or Janis, because they were anti-establishment. Those same girls also went around saying they were wirgeens, and were not as clean cut as they made out to be. At least, in our case, us rebels and liberals and against the war, we stood up and were not as hippocritical about many of those personal things.

The only thing I thought was bad about many of those songs and bands you mention, is that they were quite obviously ignoring what was happening, not only around the country, but also around the world. 20 some years later, one of those folks had the gall to say that they had the more important thing going by trying to center people, than all that political divisiveness that took place. It was, undoubtedly a great example of the very rich in America not giving a damn ... and all I can think is ... CCR singing and screaming that song! 

Mind you, at Madison West High, there were a lot less "lassies" into that kind of bubble gum, than getting laid and having fun at a party on campus! I can't imagine Chicago being so cardboard'ish!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 23:43
Come on Mosh you know you want to buy an Archies album. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 00:23
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Thanks, you beat me to it!  LOL

Listen closely to even the most cloying of popular music...there is nearly always something musically redeeming to it, or else it wouldn't have made it past the many professional musicians, engineers and producers who have a say in what gets released. 

Rick Wakeman played keys on this song, which I enjoy a great deal....also, the young lady dancing is wearing perhaps the shortest skirt I've seen in years! Clap

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 09:06

Never did, actually. Even in Brazil, I already had been into Maria Betania (Brazilian Joan Baez before her, but much harder hitting!) and into Beatles and Rolling Stones and Ray Charles. The "softest" I ever got was "I Can't Stop Loving You" by Ray, an album I loved dearly.

When we came to the States, it was Bob Dylan on the 3rd day here (Blonde on Blonde) and the bloomfield/Kooper albums, which I do not know which ... around October 1965. After that it was all about the station in Madison, including things like Doors, and other bands once an hour, until a couple of years later, when FM hit it big, and Madison was at its forefront. History seems to suggest that Madison's university (of Wisconsin) was at the forefront of it. And they were playing full sides of Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Bob Dylan, and the hipper stuff. 

It was during that time that I knew that the bubblegum stuff was not for me, and neither was the hit factory thing, making it look like a fake song was number one, when it wasn't ... it really was propaganda, same as today. There is no "#1" because these do not measure the sales from the many websites at all, to have any good idea of what is really selling or not.

When we went to California (1971) it was all FM radio in Santa Barbara, mostly the one station that started from nothing and went to number 1 in 3 months, because of its incredible freedom and variety of music, which also helped Space Pirate Radio get its start.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 11:58
Well, this is proof that some are more prog than others.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 12:38

What prog bands have a bubblegum type sound?  I think some due, probably only once in a while.  I always thought ELP had a touch of that, especially BSS.   I can see Ambrosia as well, maybe Starcastle. 

I just HAD to check this thread out to find out what on earth  Bubblegum Prog is all about. Maybe Glencoe are Bubblegum Prog.  I've just suggested them for inclusion in the Crossover Prog section. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 13:45
Pretty much everything by the Fab Four......wait they are not prog...but still bubblegum pop/rock.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 13:56
The Sweet had an interesting history.  Started out bubblegum ("Little Willy" is actually a favorite of mine) and then went to hard rock ("Ballroom Blitz", "Action"), then went to a mixture of both in the end, but some people consider some of their later music prog-lite ("Love is Like Oxygen").  If someone says bubblegum prog, then this is the band I would think of in their later years. 

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 15:28
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

That was fascinating. I never heard of some of those acts. Damn catchy stuff for sure LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 13:13
Dukes of Stratosphear

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 17:09
I wouldn't apply the term "bubblegum" to prog although if I did I would say ELO or maybe 10CC (if they both can be considered prog). Not sure who else. Maybe 80's Genesis. Tongue

Edit: Actually I don't really think any of those are bubblegum. In fact I can't really think of any because(to me at least)the term bubblegum prog is a bit of an oxymoron.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 17 2020 at 18:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 18:27
Pretty much anything considered progressive pop. Asia, 80s Genesis, 80s Yes, Kate Bush, Sparks etc

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Pretty much anything considered progressive pop. Asia, 80s Genesis, 80s Yes, Kate Bush, Sparks etc

I think bubblegum has a certain quality though and not just anything pop. Bubblegum typically was a certain syrupy "sunny" kind of sound from around 1966 to about 1972 or so. A lot of stuff in the charts then was pure bubblegum. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 19:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think bubblegum has a certain quality though and not just anything pop. Bubblegum typically was a certain syrupy "sunny" kind of sound from around 1966 to about 1972 or so. A lot of stuff in the charts then was pure bubblegum. 

Yeah but since no such thing exists in prog then the closest thing is progressive pop. So if that doesn't qualify then bubblegum prog just doesn't exist. If you're comparing to the sunshine pop of the 60s then i cannot think of one single example because the whole point of prog is to NOT be bubblegum pop.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 20:47
That's exactly my point. I just can't really think of anything anyway. Some say the early Bee Gees were prog or proggish but I wouldn't call them bubblegum regardless. Maybe the first Genesis album.
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 14:16
Moon Safari - Blomljud
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 03:55

Kate Bush bubblegum? Angry
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 05:24
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins always comes to mind when I see this  thread title!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 07:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Kate Bush bubblegum? Angry

Wuthering Heights? I retracted this. There's not such thing as bubblegum prog. I was only speculating the closest possible candidates.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>