Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

most eccentric/strangest prog artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 14:39
Well...... two 'weirdos' that come to mind are Syd Barrett and Roky Erickson.......both strange and eccentric by anyone's definition...not sure how 'proggy' either one is.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 15:16
Roger Wotton of Comus.. He may well be an very ordinary bloke but he certainly had some slightly bonkers ideas going on in his head..
Roy Harper, without a doubt, has always been an eccentric.
Alex Harvey was a pretty crazy chap!

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 15:21
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 16:49
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 17:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I am surprised you didn't mention Holger Czukay.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 17:14
I can't always do the most obvious thing. Wink
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 18:22

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 18:33
Galas and Gira!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 15:23
Aha! Ivor Cutler!! Now there was an eccentric chap.. Saw him in perform the mid/late 70's on a school  5th form visit to the local theatre.. very odd!

Ron Geesin, now he's another unusual character!

condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 11:56
Captain Beefheart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 12:48
Definately Viv Stanshall RIP! 

Ive watched a lot of Cardiacs videos on youtube & listened to a couple of lps and, ok, now i'm convinced.

Did see 'em at Stonehenge many years ago but was pretty whacked and didn't get it then or the odd times my path has crossed theirs since but after some intensive immersion recently its sort of clicked.. 

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 13:19
Stanshall is an excellent pick.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 16:28
The whole concept of Maudlin of the Well's music is pretty bizarre. 
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 07:49
Robert Calvert
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 05:18
I'd say that Igorrr tends to be pretty eccentric, with albums combining so many styles that it simply becomes absurd, while still sounding pretty decent in its own strange way. The only major consistencies are the inclusion of baroque and breakcore in the majority of the songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzYxGZ7Hmc

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 05:26
This thread has all the makings of a thread that is going to be peopled by strange/eccentric artists that actually didn't create prog music...... Smile  

Also strange and eccentric are wildly different and both extremely wide ranging. So one man's Arthur Brown is another man's Robert Wyatt, if you get my drift. 
In other words, great creativity and great resultant creations don't always come from strange,eccentric, substance abused or mentally ill minds.

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 31 2019 at 05:29
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 09:41
Captain Beefheart
Peter Gabriel
Peter Hammill
Frank Zappa

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:36
Henry Cow (and freakin' awful, to boot).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 12:28
Roger Chapman from Family. Who the heck else sang like that? :P I've heard his voice described as sounding like a goat in heat. :D 

Also, has Jon Anderson been mentioned yet? Not as "out there" as some on here but his philosophies as well as the way he dressed in the eighties should qualify him for a mention(imo). 

Also, Rush for the way they dressed in the mid 70's and Neil Peart in particular who at times seemed to border on plain antisocial. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 31 2019 at 14:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 12:46
^ Roger Chapman was really inspired by Soul and Gospel along with some of the contemporary R&B singers of the mid-late 60's and just wanted to emulate his hero's sound and was rather perplexed by the way people reacted to his voice and his stage presence.. he's actually a relatively quiet, fairly normal self effacing bloke.. who just happens to look, act and sound like a crazed maniac! Family in general were a pretty eccentric sounding band but were all pretty straight forward guys..

I still hold Viv Stanshall to be the quintessential eccentric gentleman; it wasn't an act, he was what he was and in Bristol (UK) his legacy still reverberates through the Arts and music communities.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>