Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Mason forms new band, European Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick Mason forms new band, European Tour
    Posted: April 30 2018 at 21:09
Nick Mason of Pink Floyd has formed a band called "Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets"

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/nick-masons-saucerful-of-secrets-announce-four-concerts-in-l.html

They will perform four concerts in the UK in May, 2018 during which they will play material from the first two Floyd albums, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets.

EDIT: Tour:

Edited by ReactioninG - May 27 2018 at 18:10
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 23:43
Wow. This is unexpected. I hope he is up to the task. 

And obviously, I hope this is recorded in some way for mass consumption. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 00:16
Really great news, I really hope they will continue and come to Finland!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 01:22
This one better be filmed !!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 07:57
Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets are Nick Mason, Gary Kemp, Guy Pratt, Lee Harris and Dom Beken.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 21:02
It would be great if this one would work well and it resulted a bigger tour. And yeah, I guess early Pink Floyd makes a lot of sense for Nick Mason, since he had more of a spotlight on those years.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 09:31
Hi,

Hmmmm ... seems to me that what this band needs is Robert Wyatt to shake up the cobwebs of a time long gone!

Oh well ... so much for new music! I think this will probably be the first PF solo album that I will pass on ... I think I'm going to put on Fictitious Sports for a while ... much more fun!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 10:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Hmmmm ... seems to me that what this band needs is Robert Wyatt to shake up the cobwebs of a time long gone!

Oh well ... so much for new music! I think this will probably be the first PF solo album that I will pass on ... I think I'm going to put on Fictitious Sports for a while ... much more fun!

I gotta doubt that Nick Mason will EVER put out a another solo disc unless it is a live album or an archival project. He once, said, and this is me recalling something I read somewhere, that he wanted to redo Momentary Lapse with HIS drumming (it was done with a combo of studio drummers and drum machines). David Gilmour said he wanted to "mix the 80s out of" Momentary Lapse too, if he could, so maybe Nick could get the go ahead on that kind of tinkering. He's kind of the Pink Floyd Legacy guy, especially in public appearances and interviews, whereas David and Roger are usually concerned a little more about their solo work.

Edited by ReactioninG - May 02 2018 at 10:29
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 14:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

FS is a gem!
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 20:49
^ in reality, FS is a Carla Bley album in disguise - and a bloody good one with Robert Wyatt, heck, great line-up of jazzers on this one !!
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 20:12
So fictitious sports is popular. I've only heard Profiles. What's the thought on that one?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 20:42
^ I used to have it - only the lengthy opener was worthy. Very 80’s in the production, I bought it on LP in the mid-90’s and it sounded hideous then !! Thinking about it though, I shouldn’t have ditched it.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 22:30
Profiles is not bad, but far from being a masterpiece. The title track reminds to the middle part if Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast (at least for me), there’s a bit of David Gilmour on Lie for a Lie, wirh the vocals of Maggie Reilly, and some goog but not special songs.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 02:20
Just like Wright´s Wet Dream, Fictitious Sport is the only album from Mason I like. I just can´t stand those horrible eighties sounds! Haven´t heard Broken China as whole, but songs that I´ve heard isn´t very interesting, though sounds are ok.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 13:34
^ Listen to Gilmour's version of "Breakthrough" from the semi-acoustic "David Gilmour in Concert" video, with Wright himself on vocals. He made the song better (which I didn't really like so much from the original album), and almost made it a Pink Floyd song, adding his own guitar, Dick Parry's sax, and female backing vocals.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 03:40
FS is a good album and my introduction to Carla Bley. The song Hot River has a guitar solo that DG would be proud of.

As far as MLOR is concerned, I thought that would have come out on the 30 anniversary. I imagine the remix ship has sailed.

Edited by tdfloyd - May 13 2018 at 03:41
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 05:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Listen to Gilmour's version of "Breakthrough" from the semi-acoustic "David Gilmour in Concert" video, with Wright himself on vocals. He made the song better (which I didn't really like so much from the original album), and almost made it a Pink Floyd song, adding his own guitar, Dick Parry's sax, and female backing vocals.
Just watched it, ok song, but not really the greatest moments of Wright (I prefer for example "Wearing the inside Out" much more). It´s just quite the picture I have got about Broken China, a little bit too dad rock to me. Great solo from Gilmour though. And of course that song is better than any in Gilmour´s About Face.

Edited by Mortte - May 13 2018 at 05:03
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 05:37
Very interesting news!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 06:57
I would love to go see this in the flesh, but I very much doubt this constellation will tour outside of Britan. Unlike Phil (Man With Hat) I am not interested in a live album. Old geezers playing music made by young, wild and reckless whippersnappers? Nah I think I'll pass.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:54
On the HD Pink Floyd YouTube channel there's videos put up of his shows.
Would be better if you were there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>