Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Could positive actions by Trump outweigh negatives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Could positive actions by Trump outweigh negatives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Could postitive actions by Trump outweigh the Negatives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [16.67%]
20 [83.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 04:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't worry about Nazi's, they will never be in power again. But they will always be around, when did they stop being scum??
They stopped being scum when someone said that some of them were good people. Now who could that be?

I'm sure tons of people have said there were/are good ones. What I remember is Trump said there were good people, other than the neo-nazis in that crowd of protesters taking down the monuments, as well as on the other side. Yes there were neo-nazis but I too bet there were others in that crowd that have good reasons not to remove history, be it bad or good.

Just because they were protesting the removal of those monuments, does not mean they were bad or are nazi supporters.
There is a black history professor (I think) in Virginia who is also against removing some of those civil war/slave era monuments.......Do you consider him a slave activist? I seriously doubt that black guy agrees with anything a Nazi might say.

His best option was to steer away from that topic, but at the end of the day Trump is not a Nazi lover, that's ridiculous. 
The protestors were not Ken Burns type academics that were trying to preserve Civil War history but racists that were protesting the statue's removal for totally racist reasons and with racist motives. Trump is not a Nazi in my opinion, but he panders to neo Nazis and racists so they will vote (again) for him, IMHO.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 04:37
His strategy on North Korea does appear - for now - to have paid off. It was somewhat reckless and a massive gamble, but he has ultimately achieved more than Obama or GWB on that particular front. That said, there is some theory going round that NK's test site exploded and collapsed in on itself, so tha may have some bearing on the North's apparent capitulation...who knows? Ultimately they could tell us anything.

We have been down this road with NK before though, so they need to be watched like hawks day in day out.

There's so many negatives about Trumps character and his attitude to global warming, women and international diplomacy that I very much doubt the positives will outweigh the negatives. He's a hateful charater, but history will judge him on his record, and he hasn't even completed a first term yet, so for now it's good to enjoy berating this monster, as some of us did with Reagan back in the day, but let's wait and see.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 04:44
^ Having an audience with Lil' Kim does not guarantee a good outcome but I'm cautiously optimistic. I wish I could trust Kim more but I simply do not. (I wish I could trust Trump more too.)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 05:22
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Trump and positive actions - that's what those who speak Latin call a contradictio in adiecto
Or what in English is known as an oxymoron.

no, it is not. you miss a big difference between an oxymoron (which actually is Greek meaning "sharp-blunt") and a contradicitio in adiecto. an oxymoron is a rhetorical device of combining two opposites and thereby creating a completely new meaning. examples are "bittersweet", "open secret", "love-hate" or "deafening silence".

these phrases, although being apparent contradictions, are nevertheless meaningful and generally understood. but "Trump and positive actions" does not fall into this category; it is merely a contradiction.

for more information see this article by a retired professor of English:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-contradiction-in-terms-and-oxymoron

some people give "pretty ugly" as an example for an oxymoron. it is however not because the meaning of "pretty" in this example is not "pleasing to the eye" but "quite"

To quote Megadeth, "military intelligence. two words combined that don't make sense."

I thought that was George Carlin :)

If we don't go to war, it'll be major, but he's only added MORE..
And that 1.5 trillion to the 1% - robbing Peter, Paul, AND Mary to pay people like Donald and Hillary..

Obama was almost a Republican, Clinton was right-winged when it came to the important stuff (not the stock Democrat votes), we need someone with the last name of Roosevelt... America needs a "New Deal"... However, I can't see anyone being worse than W/Cheney
It very well could have been George Carlin.  I just remember first hearing it in a Megadeth song.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 05:40
^ You're probably right. Megadeath are cool like that.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ The people in that protest were chanting "blod and soil" a well known nazi slogan, they were also chanting 'the Jews will not replace us". The next day they were beating black men over the head with steel poles.
If you don't call those people nazis, what exactly do you call them?

Of course those people are all pcs of sh*t........and I like you want them all gone!!!!!!!!!!

I was not there, so cannot comment on exactly what was going on. I was only commenting on what was put in print about what Trump said. I don't believe he or any politician sympathizes with this group of people and how they behave.

I worked in Seattle and witnessed some previous May Day rallies and heard with my own ears what these type of people say and some did. I also heard what other groups were saying which was terrible about the govt/POTUS/city leaders and such, even the police....disrespectful to say the least.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:22

I don't think Trump is a nazi, but people who march in formation chanting 'blood and soil' and 'the Jews will not replace us' are either nazis or well on their way.

Agree.....hopefully none of those people are anyone's family doctor/pediatrician or dentist....LOL!!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:30
Getting back to statue huggers, %50 of southerners thought the civil war was a bad idea and would be a disaster for the south, ever wonder why none of those people ever got a statue?
Ever wonder why all the good people who helped black people escape a life of rape, beatings and murder don't get a statue?
How about all those black people who helped build the southern economy without getting paid for it. Where is their statue?

Edited by Easy Money - May 04 2018 at 08:31
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:32
Like any President, I think there will be good and bad he does. Right now what everyone is focusing on is the bad attitude/comments/rudeness/crass attitude Trump exhibited early on.

I see less and less of that now.....I watch both CNN and Fox, as I want to hear both sides of every story. Problem is the media is so powerful that most will not show what some good things he is saying and doing, simply because they still cannot believe nor do they want him to be President.

Although, not a single news source is saying...."Man I wish Hillary was in office!"

There are a mountain of things in this country that need to be fixed, its not going to be easy and there will be a lot of hurt and casualties along the way, but that's what happens. People just want everything to be fixed and not feel any pain, satisfaction will not be all encompassing.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:37
^ Re Hillary: Its okay to not like either Trump or Hillary, I voted, but I did not vote for either of those two unworthy candidates.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:39
Yes indeed. I really miss Bernie! Cry
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:41

Getting back to statue huggers, %50 of southerners thought the civil war was a bad idea and would be a disaster for the south, ever wonder why none of those people ever got a statue?
Ever wonder why all the good people who helped black people escape a life of rape, beatings and murder don't get a statue?
How about all those black people who helped build the southern economy without getting paid for it. Where is their statue?

I totally hear you! I lived in the south, my wife is from Nawlins......As a hispanic I don't ever expect to see a statue of a hispanic/latino/mexican in the fields/orchards where all the work is done to put food on the table.

But most if not all of our friends in New Orleans are against it for the same reason I am.....It's our history and you can't change it. 50-100 yrs from now people will not know the tragedy that happened, so guarantee me it will never happen again! What most agree to is adding a rebuttal type plaque or something that also explains the other side, let people make their own decisions after seeing all the truths.

World history is full of this stuff...when do you want the history of the world to start??
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 08:49
This monument is much bigger than any of the statues in the South.......It was not completed last time I was in DC but for sure will be a place to visit one day.

Image result for black museum dc
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 09:02
A statue is much more than history, its a tribute.
A museum, a book or an internet site is history. Nobody wants to erase history, but many of us want to remove these tributes to a treasonous war that was opposed by half the people living here.

Here is some history for you, check the dates for when those statues were built. They came up during the Jim Crow era. The statues were put there to remind black people to stay in their place.
Black people don't want these reminders any more, and other people with a decent moral backbone agree with them.

By your reasoning Germany should build statues to Hitler and Iraq should put back the statues of Sadam Hussein that they tore down. These men are important parts of their history. Why don't these men get a statue, because obviously a statue is much more than just history.
When the famous video of Iraqis bringing down a statue of Saddam was shown, were your first thoughts, "OMG they are destroying history"? If not, why?

An honest civil war statue would show the horrible devastation that resulted from this ill-advised treasonous disaster that ruined the south for many many decades.

Edited by Easy Money - May 04 2018 at 12:23
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 15:30
^ The Saddam statue was only up for 1yr and put up during a time of war and all the krapp going on there so totally made sense at what happened. Yes tearing it down was a symbol of that situation, I doubt today you could raise a statue of the Civil War in any US state, of any General or person related to the Civil War.

I don't doubt that some believe the statues were put up for many reasons including what you state.....but to that point then we should tear down all churches as some people believe the church has never stood for any good.
Look your going into broad areas that can cause endless debate. I have been to some of these US monuments with my kids, and battle grounds in MD, VA and thru the South and explained to my kids what happened there and why.....and it should never happen again.

That's all I care about, making sure I can tell my kids, grandkids what happened and why it was wrong.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 09:00
Too much harm has been done. It's not even so much about his actions but about his character and how he chooses to respond to things. He runs the country like a mob boss. He's not a team player and he's just doing what pleases him regardless of what others feel is important or the outcome. Yes, he could do some positive stuff but mostly it's damage control at this point.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 10:09
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Too much harm has been done. It's not even so much about his actions but about his character and how he chooses to respond to things. He runs the country like a mob boss. He's not a team player and he's just doing what pleases him regardless of what others feel is important or the outcome. Yes, he could do some positive stuff but mostly it's damage control at this point.

Five guilty pleas, 19 indictments, one of Manafort's attorneys already serving time for a guilty plea, Papadopolous about to be sentenced, a separate trial of Trump attorney Cohen in NY where his business partner (a Russian emigre) has already pleaded to lesser charges for his testimony, almost every high-level Trump associate caught telling lies to Congress about Russian interactions, more indictments coming, and more info coming out about Trump Jr.'s meetings with Putin allies or Putin spies (now wire taps from Spanish national intelligence -- because the U.S. is not the only country fighting Russian spying, money laundering and influence).

To the sad, deluded folks who still support Don Cheetoh Corleone, what if these exact circumstances were occurring during the Obama administration? What if nearly every Obama associate had ties with Russians, and every department of the U.S. intelligence community proved without a doubt that Putin and the Russians were working to elect Obama, and that both Obama's election committee and his administration were compromised and then lied about it -- from the National Security Adviser to the Attorney General to the President's own lawyer to his son (or daughter or son-in-law) to the coffee boy? 

Be honest. I know it's hard, but somewhere deep inside there is a dim flicker of comprehension at what is happening here. What would the Republican held senate and house be doing at this moment to a compromised democratic president? What would the castrated and corrupt McConnell and impotent Ryan be doing in Congress? You damn well know the answer: Robert Mueller would not be necessary, as the articles of impeachment would have been drafted a year ago. More so, they would be looking for ways to criminally prosecute Obama beyond mere impeachment.

But the deplorable state of affairs currently is that the republican congress (who for the last 50+ years would have had a mass coronary if there was even an implication that the president was somehow involved with Russian intervention in American government) have cut off their own testicles and have left them at home in a jar by the door, and have put party before country. They ALL need to go.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 05:37
No but the most positive thing he could do would be to f**k up the British government of mine instead.
And to keep trying to do positive things but have the actual definition of positive and context mean.
I can't vote him out and I'm amazed how little I come across direct need from President Trump in my offline life.
If I gave a sh*t, I'd support Democrats but what does their word mean nowadays?
If I lived there I'd consider becoming a Governor just for the sh*ts and giggles, but find the UK Parliamentary process so tedious to even volunteer leaflets!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123