Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel vs Van Der Graaf Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [46.15%]
49 [53.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 09:02
well, we have a tie right now

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Just gave VdGG a sympathy vote. I.. I felt it was the right thing to do. 

So have you been warming up to VdGG a bit at last?

Hey man. Yes for sure, and I think they are unique and special. But are they better than Camel? Very tough call. I don't think they have anything that kicks as much total ass as LADY FANTASY, but then nobody else does either so.. there you go. 
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:29
VDGG,  can be too complex for me at times..  I have all their albums... Camel is my all time No1 band of all time and very excessible too!....Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 21:47

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Just gave VdGG a sympathy vote. I.. I felt it was the right thing to do. 

So have you been warming up to VdGG a bit at last?

Hey man. Yes for sure, and I think they are unique and special. But are they better than Camel? Very tough call. I don't think they have anything that kicks as much total ass as LADY FANTASY, but then nobody else does either so.. there you go. 

I don't know... yeah, Lady Fantasy is wonderful, but there are many great songs that I really love from VdGG... at least almost as much... perhaps of the bunch my favourite is indeed Lady Fantasy, but the next 5 spots (to put a number randomly) would be from VdGG. Very different bands, though.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 22:38
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Haha! I agree it could be funny for a month or two but it gets somewhat tedious after a decade.

Reminds me of good ol' Micky who's still highly (in his case very seriously) pissed off by the release of A Momentary Lapse of Reason...and it's been 31 f**king years!!
I used to be very pissed about Division Bell. I was really excited when hearing in the eighties Pink Floyd was coming back, first also liked a Momentary at least some way. When punk rose it´s head to me I started to hate Floyd´s reunion. But now when got older, I enjoy also those two records although still don´t think they´ve even near of the greatness of their sixties/seventies records. There was that dad-thread, I think those two really are Floyd´s dad-albums, but as I said, I can listen some dad music.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 00:58
This is still a close call.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 02:12
Camel Graaf Generator

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - May 12 2018 at 02:13

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 13:14
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Haha! I agree it could be funny for a month or two but it gets somewhat tedious after a decade.

Reminds me of good ol' Micky who's still highly (in his case very seriously) pissed off by the release of A Momentary Lapse of Reason...and it's been 31 f**king years!!
I used to be very pissed about Division Bell. I was really excited when hearing in the eighties Pink Floyd was coming back, first also liked a Momentary at least some way. When punk rose it´s head to me I started to hate Floyd´s reunion. But now when got older, I enjoy also those two records although still don´t think they´ve even near of the greatness of their sixties/seventies records. There was that dad-thread, I think those two really are Floyd´s dad-albums, but as I said, I can listen some dad music.

The Division Bell is actually my third favourite Floyd album, just after Wish you were Here and Animals. Momentary Lapse... not so much, though it's still got some of my favourite songs from the band (which I actually prefer in their live versions).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 13:54
Can't stand either. But I voted for Camel because I can't stand them less.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 03:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Can't stand either. But I voted for Camel because I can't stand them less.

What do you like? 

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 03:43
Both bands have their merits: The Snow Goose vs. Still Life, Nude vs. Godbluff, Moonmadness vs. H to He, this is thrice contest.

It's a hard choice, but I have leaned more towards VdGG during the last few years, so they get the edge.
jiminyCrikett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminyCrikett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:11
For some reason it won't let me vote, but I have to go with Camel no matter how much I love vdgg
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 16:49
Originally posted by jiminyCrikett jiminyCrikett wrote:

For some reason it won't let me vote, but I have to go with Camel no matter how much I love vdgg

You need to have like 40 or 45 posts first, I think it's 40. Anyway, welcome. 
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 16:06
VDGG. I'm surprised this is so close.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 16:17
^I'm not....lots of Camel fans here...as well as VDGG ones.
If I'm in a mellow mood...Camel for sure...if I'm angry or antsy then VDGG.
;)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 02:47

Camel for Mirage, Snow Goose etc.

Pater Hammill's vocals at times get on my nerves

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 02:55
Both are very dear to me. Voted Camel, because VdGG has more of stuff I don't exactly enjoy.
Right now the score is even, 34 - 34. Tongue 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 03:14
I have a soft spot for Camel but VdGG are far more important to me. 
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 01:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

;)

I guess I'm not surprised that Camel are rated as highly; I just find them... mostly harmless.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 02:12
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

;)

I guess I'm not surprised that Camel are rated as highly; I just find them... mostly harmless.

Exactly my opinion of Camel, which is why I am not too fond of them. There are some nice memories associated with "The Snow Goose" though, which is why it is my favourite album of them.

Oh, and just in case anyone wonders: I use British spelling, so I don't write "favorite". It is due to my bilingual upbringing; I lived in the UK for some time as a kid. I know the American spelling, but I prefer the British one.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>