Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Steve Howe Album vs. Voyage of the Acolyte

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Alright alright let's bob for apples.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [14.93%]
57 [85.07%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 14:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Voyage of the Acolyte for me. I guess it would be interesting to put it against Fish out of Water too.

That would be a more square draw. I think that's been a poll before.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 15:59
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Voyage of the Acolyte for me. I guess it would be interesting to put it against Fish out of Water too.

how about putting up "Beginnings" against "Fish Out of Water", "Ramshackled", "Olias of Sunhillow", "The Six Wives of Henry VIII", "Feels Good to Me" and "The Story of I"?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 16:31
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

how about putting up "Beginnings" against "Fish Out of Water", "Ramshackled", "Olias of Sunhillow", "The Six Wives of Henry VIII", "Feels Good to Me" and "The Story of I"?

You mean like this?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 16:52
Ha...I recall that thread now.... LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:06
Voyage

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:08
The common thread, of course, is that each is the guitarist of a major progressive rock band.  What makes these albums difficult to compare is that The Steve Howe Album is a player's album, showcasing Steve's many different interests and styles.  Voyage of the Acolyte is a composer's album, a unified statement of organized songs.

I voted for Voyage of the Acolyte, but I much prefer Steve's recent live performances of this material, rather than listening to the actual album.  The original LP was mixed poorly, in my opinion, and tends to grate on the ears.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 20:31

Voyage is a 5 star album.
The Steve Howe Album is an album.

Yup---as great as Howe is ---his solo stuff were great bits that could go into part of a Yes song---Hackett is a better song writer and always has been
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 20:43
David Gilmour's first solo album is better than either. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 21:06
 I was always disappointed in Gilmour's album......Hackett Voyage 1265 ratings 4.23,   Gilmour 304 ratings 3.49.
PA has spoken.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 01:06
Voyage would have been a great Genesis album (and better than any post 80's Genesis album) so naturally Voyage is better than anything Steve could come up with (and more Prog than anything Steve comes up with as well).
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 01:11
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

No contest ; Steve Hackett.

Thumbs Up
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 04:24
easy choice - Hackett
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 04:34
SH album by Steve Howe is easily my favorite from him. Voyage of the Acolyte, compared for example to three following albums of Steve Hackett, is my least favorite. But still Steve Hackett gets the vote by quite a margin.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 05:42
not trying to be bitchy here lol but strictly speaking Voyage is not a completely solo album as others co-wrote some of the songs with Hackett----Howe's album is all his I think.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 06:19
Easy one - Voyage.
Still a mainstay on my turntable.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 12:18
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

not trying to be bitchy here lol but strictly speaking Voyage is not a completely solo album as others co-wrote some of the songs with Hackett----Howe's album is all his I think.

How much does this matter, though? Even if Howe wrote the entire album himself, this doesn't affect my feelings on which album I prefer.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 16:55

So by that criteria Barry Manilllow, Barbara Streisand and the vast majority of individual pop artists to have their name on a record sleeves did not make solo albums.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 22:06
Originally posted by iancat87 iancat87 wrote:

How much does this matter, though? Even if Howe wrote the entire album himself, this doesn't affect my feelings on which album I prefer.

of course not but Hackett did use guys in Genesis on his first solo album---he wrote all or most of the rest of his SOLO work---for most solo means these are my songs away from templet of said band---thats why Hackett left the band---for others like Squire he always said he needed a good collaborator like he had on Fish out of Water or Squackett ---his 2 most successful solo albums
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:50
Exactly because is far from YES music my vote is Steve Howe Album , but I agree : Voyage is a great album !
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 10:27
Originally posted by iancat87 iancat87 wrote:

Actually, according to the record sleeve, there are two covers in Howe's album, "The Continental", written by Conran and Magdison, and "Concerto in D" which is an arrangement of Vivaldi's concerto. 

Edited by Manuel - May 12 2018 at 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>