Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Steve Howe Album vs. Voyage of the Acolyte

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Alright alright let's bob for apples.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [14.93%]
57 [85.07%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Steve Howe Album vs. Voyage of the Acolyte
    Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:05
Not so much "which guitarist do you prefer" but instead "who has the better solo record."

Frankly, I'm torn. I tend to veer more towards Acolyte because it sounds like Nobuo Uematsu borrowed heavily from the album for composing Final Fantasy VII.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:08
I rarely reach for Acolyte anymore. Great LP but it somehow "off" for me.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:09
GTR LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 09:25
I love both these guys, but Acolyte is easily the better album.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 10:18
No contest ; Steve Hackett.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

No contest ; Steve Hackett.

SHOTS FIRED
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 10:23
Voyage of the Acolyte is a true classic - the lost Genesis album in many ways. I love Steve Howe's guitar work and his albums too, but Steve Hackett romps home here.

Edited by Squonk19 - May 09 2018 at 10:24
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 11:02
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I love both these guys, but Acolyte is easily the better album.
Yes. I like both albums, but Voyage is the better one.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 11:35
I'm a little surprised that Acolyte is running away with it here.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:10
Very different, both essential.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:43
Voyage is a 5 star album.
The Steve Howe Album is an album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:45
^ That sums it up succinctly.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:46
It's tough to compare the two albums; Acolyte sounds more like a "proper" prog rock album, whereas The Steve Howe Album seems like more of an opportunity for Howe to experiment with different guitars and genres. A fun listen in my opinion, but there isn't a lot of substantial material on it. Acolyte could pass as "the lost Genesis album", but I don't think Howe's album could be "the lost Yes album"... maybe Fish Out Of Water could pass for that if anything. I'd have to pick Acolyte, even though I enjoy both.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:54
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

It's tough to compare the two albums; Acolyte sounds more like a "proper" prog rock album, whereas The Steve Howe Album seems like more of an opportunity for Howe to experiment with different guitars and genres. A fun listen in my opinion, but there isn't a lot of substantial material on it. Acolyte could pass as "the lost Genesis album", but I don't think Howe's album could be "the lost Yes album"... maybe Fish Out Of Water could pass for that if anything. I'd have to pick Acolyte, even though I enjoy both.

Yeah I mean, I wouldn't think of Howe's record as a "lost Yes album" either, it's just an album. Acolyte has a much more drawn out concept with the tarot thing, sure, and it has that reputation of being "the lost Genesis album," but it's not like Hackett was intending it to be one. He left that band on his own accord, and on good terms from my understanding.

So as far as polling for these two records, I just wanted folks to compare the two albums for what they are—albums. (And I enjoy both of them too, but I do believe Acolyte to be all around better.)
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:58
Yeah, I guess it's a strange way of judging a solo album, although I think the important thing is that Hackett's feels like it could fit in with the important prog albums (Genesis or not), while Howe's doesn't.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 13:09
^I agree.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 13:29
Voyage of the Acolyte for me. I guess it would be interesting to put it against Fish out of Water too.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 13:51
The Steve Howe album is very good and one of the best Yes solo albums from the 70's(along with FOOW, OOSH, M&LOKA&TKOTRT and SWOH8). However, I prefer VOTA since that's just the best thing that sounds like Genesis not by Genesis.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 13:55
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

For the most part I agree. Voyage sounds more like a unified band effort that one might mistake for an actual band rather than a solo album where as TSHA has solo written all over it for the reasons you mentioned. That being said I find it to be a very interesting album nonetheless and a bit more solid over all than "beginnings" which seems to lose the plot at some point with meandering pseudo classical chamber music.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 13:57
Hackett 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>