Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Batlle of first solo albums of Yes members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [32.20%]
1 [1.69%]
3 [5.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
20 [33.90%]
14 [23.73%]
1 [1.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batlle of first solo albums of Yes members
    Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:19
A great poll. Some of the solo albums by these musicians are better than anything their bands released in the 80s and 90s. If Steve Howe's second solo album, The Steve Howe Album, was included I might be tempted to vote for that. And he has some really excellent solo albums later on too, but his first album is one of his worst. I have to say that Bruford's Feels Good to Me is also, for me, somewhat in that camp - 'One of a Kind' is much better, and some of his jazz-only solo and later Earthworks albums are really excellent and far better too. 

As for Sunhillow vs Fish out of Water vs Six Wives, these are all really excellent albums, ALL better than any Yes studio release since Going for the One, which says something. Really hard to choose as I love them all, but for originality and musicality, I think Wakeman wins for me by a hair. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 14:12
After much thought and giving most of them another spin - I think I must go for Fish Out of Water - an album of great depth that has grown on me a lot in recent years. Six Wives would have been my pick a few years ago and is probably Rick's best album, but Chris's reveals more on each play. I love the start of Jon's Olias, but when I bought it back in the 70s it was gatefold album artwork which impressed more than the music - which while good, tended to flow over me rather than grab me. The Story of I has its moments, but the overpowering rhythms behind the keyboards tend to lessen its effect for me.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 06:51
Im my humble opinion Wakeman wins... followed by Anderson and Squire !
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 05:00
For me, the top three:

Rick - super
Chris - super
Jon - almost

A bit of a surprise Jon is leading - but really not shocking
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 04:13
I could have voted for any of the leading three, but my vote goes to the FISH
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 19:21
While I prefer Fish Out of Water, I voted for Ramshackled. Not really proggy, it contains some GREAT music from some GREAT musicians and deserves more attention, IMHO. "Darkness" was one of my favorite go-to songs in the 70s.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:24
^Too right, mate. Now when it comes to Fish Out of Water, well ...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 07:39
always thought it strange how popular Olias is---I mean its prog square rooted but find much of it to be a snooze festSleepy and Jon as his airy fairy peak.LOL

but I am driven more by driven music---prog propelled by a good rhythm section.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 05:38
I'm always torn between Olias and Fish Out of Water but I think it has to be Olias.

Moraz's album is good as well but the production lets it down (although that could just be my copy).
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 15:07
If Bruford's debut was purely an instrumental it would win.

Alas it isn't, so Fishy baby takes the cake. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 13:28
Olias.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 12:34
Squire for me.....though I do like Bruford's first one also.....Wakeman's is nice  also but there is a sameness to some of the tracks.
Anderson's Sunhillow was always too lightweight for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 11:54
Between squire and wakeman, was leaning toward wakeman, but accidentally entered squire while thinking about it. SO, Squire.
Z
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 11:24
Six Wives by a long way for me
Prog On!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 10:23
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Bill Bruford released a stellar album, it's maybe one of the best albums ever made, but I don't consider it a solo-album. He had a band called Bruford, and it was released in the same as UK, so Bill was already years out of Yes.

I know, see my own comment a little before yours in this thread. but at least the band is named after him, and I wanted to have him in the poll.

the alternative would have been to choose the first album of him in collaboration with Patrick Moraz for the poll, but that would have killed two birds with one stone, and I did not want that. and it would technically speaking not have been a solo album either, so I swallowed the toad of Bruford being a band

Edited by BaldJean - May 10 2018 at 10:25

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 08:34
Olias Of Sunhillow.
Still blows my mind.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 07:33
Wakeman - Six Wives is his best solo album and is the part of the music that lit up my youth.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 06:22
Toss up between Squire and Anderson.
Today's nod goes to Squire.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 05:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

1. Jon
2. Rick
3. Chris
4. Patrick
5. Steve
6. Peter
7. Bill
8. Alan

These are all good to excellent albums with the possible exception of Ramshackled which is merely adequate.

I'm totally with you on this order. All great albums though, and a lot of great music on them, except for Ramsheckled, which is just OK.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 04:49
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Fish, followed by Olias and Six Wives. I miss Badger though.

the poll is about solo albums; Badger is a band. I made an exception for Bruford because I wanted Bill to be in the poll and many (falsely) consider the albums of Bruford to be solo albums of Bill Bruford. but Badger definitely is a band, and Tony Kaye did not play such an overwhelming superior role in it to let "One Live Badger" pass as a solo album

Edited by BaldJean - May 10 2018 at 04:55

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>