Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superQuizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did you get into Prog?
    Posted: May 11 2018 at 00:09
Sometimes prog can be a strange and obscure genre of music, especially now. 

It was october of 2014, and my high school marching band played Karn Evil 9 (1st impression part 2). We knew it as the hardest song to perform because of it's speed and technicality. I played snare drums and I had one of the most fun and most difficult parts. We actually played it for our halloween show, and to prep for our shows, I listen to the actual songs to better understand them. I type into youtube Karn Evil 9, and this 30 minute video pops up, and then I sit down at my computer and listen to it. 30 minutes later, I sit absolutely baffled. I didn't much like it, and I didn't hear the part that we played at all. I listened to it again, and this time I picked up on it more, and I seemed to like it a bit. I listened to it again because I always feel like I'm missing out on some part of it. After a few more listenings I cannot get it out of my head. It became my favorite song that day, and from then on I would repeat that cycle of constant loops for ELP songs, and eventually out to other Prog groups. That's my story!

What's yours??

Also you should check out the marching arrangement of Karn Evil 9, it is really awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dct8Y-4zsBw 
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 03:50
1991. A school mate told me that, if I really loved good music, I surely would have liked the cassette he was giving to me. It was Misplaced Childhood and he absolutely was right.
E per tutti il dolore degli altri č un dolore a metā
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 04:03
At school, because of the Abbey road's second side.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 04:10
I fell into the marmite as a kid...Big smile

My first memories of music and Lps was Tull's Stand Up when I was 6 (my dad, a jazzer and classical head had bought it for Bourrée).

My first album bought with my newspaper delivery route was Supertramp's Crime of the Century, bought on the second day aftyer its release in late 74, and I was 11 at the time

Within weeks, I had SEBTP, DSOTM, ITLOG&P, ITCOFTCK and Aqualung

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 04:33
I found early prog to be an extension of psychedelic rock, which I loved, with artists like Floyd and KC taking over artists like the Moody Blues and Hendrix. I just followed my nose, I mean ears. Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 04:49
As a teen a friend of mine gave me a mix tape with Yes & Genesis on it, particularly The Knife and Hogweed were instant likes.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 05:19
For me, it's been a journey. I can't really point to one event

Early 70s - Beatles planted the seed, although I didn't know it at the time.
80s - Exposure to bands like Yes, Tull, ELP, Floyd, Rush, as well as other more prog related type bands, etc on the radio. Rush, in particular, became a favorite. Yes was pretty high on the list too.
90s - not much prog for me in this decade. I got pretty heavily into stuff like Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Incubus, Kings X but also went mellow with Sting. Rush was still present though.
2000s - Started hearing about Spock's Beard and was advised to pick up their album, V. Didn't like it at first and shelved it. Took it back out about a year later and loved it. Picked up all other SB releases and became a big fan. 
However, finding this site a few years ago is what really opened my eyes to all those bands that I had never heard of before. The journey continues....

Edited by Jeffro - May 11 2018 at 07:01
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 05:34
I think it was when my older sister brought home a copy of Nursery Cryme. It must have been the weird cover and lyrics that did it.
Ludenberger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludenberger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 05:40
I got into Prog pretty early in my journey in general Rock music, and the Beatles (especially Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road) "formed my prog tastes" in a way. I listened to ITCOTCK one day and was blown away, but I wasn't thrilled by the song lengths. I kept listening, and with every listen I became more enthralled. Eventually, I listened to Selling England and CTTE almost in the same week, and then I've been in the Prog rabbit hole ever since.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 05:43
Heard Pendragon's Fly High, Fall Far played on the radio and was immediately gripped by it. Bought the EP on vinyl the following Saturday.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 06:25
When I was about 6 or 7 years old, one night my Dad put on The Dark Side of the Moon over the stereo speakers. It was the warbling synth and helicopters on On the Run that did it. At this time, my only experience with music was what I heard on the TV: Sesame Street, Loonie Tunes cartoons, Charlie Brown, and so on. Later in my teenage years it was FM radio in Philadelphia (specifically WMMR and WYSP) in the 1980s.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 07:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I found early prog to be an extension of psychedelic rock, which I loved, with artists like Floyd and KC taking over artists like the Moody Blues and Hendrix. I just followed my nose, I mean ears. Smile

Same here.............I was into it long before it was called prog rock. It was just good rock that was a bit different. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 07:43
Hi,

I can honestly say that I have never been into "prog".

I have been a great listener to music since at least 1960, with lots of classical music, and then came the Beatles and Rolling Stones, and a lot of Brazilian artists ... I'm still wondering how/what people call "prog" since its definition is a total mess!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 08:18
My earliest exposure to music was the Jazz stuff my Dad always played (Brubeck, Davis, etc.)
Later in the Sixties he was listening to The Beatles and Zappa. So I was prepped.

The first band I fell in love with all by myself was Chicago. Side Two of both Abbey Road and Chicago II are quite proggy, after all.

Then my older brother came home from college with a cassette tape which had Fragile and Tarkus on it. Headphones on, little kid's life changed.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 08:34
In 1972, a friend told me about this band named Jethro Tull (in Central America this type of rock music was not very popular, nor was it played on the radio). He played Aqualung for me, and I liked it very much. Next time I when to a record store, I saw "Stand Up", so I decided to buy it with the money I got from my Grandpa for my birthday. I was hooked and decided to investigate more bands that played similar type of music. Again, my friend introduced me to King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, etc. The rest is my life's history.

Edited by Manuel - May 11 2018 at 08:39
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 08:45
First I have to say that in Finland prog rock term was used already in the begin of seventies about the bands like Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti. It is "proge" to Finnish. I believe progressive rock was used also in UK already in the beginning, maybe not in the US.

Anyway music started to fascinate me, when I was about four-five years old (it had been 1977 or 1978). My eldest brother bought first cassette player, then quite soon whole stereos with vinyl player. He wasnīt ever big prog-fan, but have always liked Pink Floyd, Procol Harum & Moody Blues. He bought some packet of vinyls only seeing whatīs the first and last vinyl in that packet. I think in that packet was also Colosseum Valentyne Suite and Yes Relayer. I remember to listen Relayer, how much I understood it, quite surely know, but I remember how it woke kind of story in my head, I believe that great cover also affected my imagination.

But in the begin of eighties my other brother really didnīt listen prog, I am not sure but he could have said prog was awful music (you know in Finland prog was hated in the end of seventies and the begin of eighties). Anyway my older brother had recorded Pink Floyd Time in the end of cassette and it really hit me hard! I listened the whole "Dark Side of the Moon" in the library, but it didnīt hit me wholly. I think it had been 1982. Two years after that one older friend of mine borrowed me the Dark Side of the Moon and it hit me then fully! Very soon I started to listen also Rush, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull & Wigwam.

Thatīs my story.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 09:03
Discovered YES at age 18 or 19, and haven't looked back.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 09:26
Dream Theater, when I was 15 or so. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 09:48
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

At school, because of the Abbey road's second side.

Just curious as to how this led you to prog since the term prog or progressive rock was barely(if at all)used back then.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 09:58
I don't remember, I've slept since then........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>