Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 11:36
It was Pink Floyd. I was 15 at the time I think. I first listened to some Division Bell tracks while listening to some heavy metal on Youtube. I absolutely loved Coming Back to Life and High Hopes. I shelved Pink Floyd listens for about a year or so, as I was still into metal and hard rock at the time, but did play some tracks from time to time. Then, when I started listening to them regularly I fell in love immediately. They quickly went above Iron Maiden as my favourite band, and continue to stay there today.

Still, the time I got into prog for real was a couple of years later, when I listened to ItCotCK by coincidence on Youtube. I then started to expand my "prog horizons" to listening to some other bands. A weird feeling was when it finally clicked with me that the King of Twilight cover by Iron Maiden that I was listening to all the time was in fact prog by a relatively obscure band called Nektar, which I wouldn't hear of them years later.

It really was a weird journey.
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 12:05
My older sister brought home In The Court Of The Crimson King and In Search Of The Lost Chord when I was 11. Those albums changed my life.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 12:42
Pink Floyd, particularly Ummagumma from my dad's record collection
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 14:37
I remember to have listened to some progressive on the radio in the late 60s, Moody Blues were often on air, but the first album I've really fallen in love with was Trilogy, then Pink Floyd. I was 10 years old, more or less.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 15:05
I heard Yes' 'Heart of the Sunrise' when I was about 12 years old and was fascinated by it. I'd never heard anything like it before. I've been hooked of progressive rock ever since.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 15:10
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 15:20
heard Fragile by Yes and never heard music like that before---it had everything I wanted in music--a  powerful groove --gorgeous melodies and amazing playing---before that I may have heard Your Move on the radio which was of course great -- but Fragile was amazing.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 15:27
When I was growing up I was really, really into tull. I never really knew about the Progressive genre, though. I also remember picking up Going for the One by Yes and really digging it. I rediscovered it a few years ago because I started collecting vinyl about seven years ago and found that I could get a lot of Prog rather inexpensively. This, of course, was bolstered by the fact that the Prog Archives one of the few message board sites that gets through my work's firewall. quite a blessing though, I have found some amazing stuff here. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 15:53
I developed a liking for Ekseption at age 10. At 11, A Girl Named You by Supersister and Hocus Pocus by Focus reached my ears. I noticed that I liked these songs more than the contemporary hitparade music, though '71 was not a bad year. When I heard Pink Floyd's Relics I was definitely converted (June 1972). Dark Side of the Moon, Atom Heart Mother and Close to the Edge followed soon after.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:31
Being sick and listening to my older brothers album, Selling England by the Pound!...Smile
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 20:00
When I was young, most of the time I would generally just listen to what was popular on the radio. Then my mom introduced me to the first few Santana albums, which planted the seed. Thanks Mom!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 21:19
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

My older sister brought home In The Court Of The Crimson King and In Search Of The Lost Chord when I was 11. Those albums changed my life.

I also fell in love with the opening Mellotron of ITCOTCK at age 11!!  At that age, I was reading a great deal of fantasy & sci fi, and the music clicked with where I was at that time.  A good friend played his older brother's copy on the home stereo, and the rest is history.

It took me a couple of years to catch up with the Moodies, but I surely did as well!  Cheers, Charles

Edited by cstack3 - May 11 2018 at 21:20
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 21:54
Some of these answers so far are rather superficial. Ok, so you discovered prog through Pink Floyd or Tubular Bells. But how exactly? One doesn't just hear dark side of the moon and instantly become a prog fan for crying out loud. Confused
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 22:36
When I was eight, a friend of mine who was also eight yet into music well ahead of his years played The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for me. I raised a curious eye brow and then went swimming. Fast forward to high school, when Genesis was getting more and more commercial, another friend recommended The Lamb and I was astonished this was the same band. So, I got into Old Genesis (always referred to as “Old Genesis”). A notable number of other enlightened students in my high school also had a lot of appreciation for “Old Genesis”. Others weren’t terribly aware of their merits. I had one particular friend who was into Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead and Yes. I was sort of aware of Pink Floyd, but not really the other two. Someone spray painted “Genesis Rael” onto the side of a school storage building, and I had to explain to this friend that Rael was the name of character in the Lamb, which he didn’t really grasp until I said “like Pink”. I knew someone else who was into the Moody Blues. And another friend (still friends to this day) who was into Jethro Tull, but not so much of the others mentioned. The point is that there was a general desire for quality music. Also there wasn’t much of a surging underground in our area, so some of my peers assembled their own underground by digging up old bands buried in the archives, the more obscure the better. I went looking for bands that sounded something like Old Genesis with varying success and learned about “Progressive Rock”. I found out more about Pink Floyd and Yes, and then King Crimson who were entirely new to me. I I also found other groups like Focus, Jade Warrior, the Strawbs, Nektar, Eloy, Gentle Giant, Soft Machine, Gong, etc. in a used record store I frequented. I’d see their names and recall reading about them in an anthology of Rolling Stone Reviews wherein they were described as “Progressive”. That would be the gateway to Prog generally for me. Somewhere along the line I discovered Wayside Music as a mail distributor for mainly Progressive Rock. I also started working at a pizzaria, and two of my coworkers turned out to be Genesis and Frank Zappa fans, and that’s when I became a Zappoid.

Edited by HackettFan - May 11 2018 at 22:44
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 22:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Some of these answers so far are rather superficial. Ok, so you discovered prog through Pink Floyd or Tubular Bells. But how exactly? One doesn't just hear dark side of the moon and instantly become a prog fan for crying out loud. Confused
Well, to me some songs just hit immediately. Pink Floyd Time was one of those. But of course as I said before, when listening the whole Dark Side of the Moon, it didn´t hit me as a whole (I think Money was the next one I really loved then). Also, I found later my oldest brother old cassette, where was Time and I remember to listen that cassette (there were one Osmonds song I really love as kid), but really didn´t remember Time was also in that cassette. Anyway that moment when Time hit me totally, the song could have grow into my mind without conscious knowing of that.

Anyway in 1984 when the whole Dark Side hit me, I started to think prog music is the music to me. You know prog term was used in Finland already from the beginning, I knew then Rush, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Wigwam, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes & Tasavallan Presidentti were called progbands and really wanted to hear their albums. It was then really my own music, prog really was hated then, it took almost ten years when I found one friend who was as excited about prog as I.

It would be really nice to hear your story how you get into prog, specially when you´re saying others are telling about superficial things about it.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 07:04
For me it was just before starting high school, and like the OP it was the sound of ELP that really cemented it for me. Now I had been listening to late night FM radio out of Detroit for a few months as I fell asleep at night. Most of the time the reception was spotty, it was faint or fading in and out, I lived in London, about 2.5 hrs east of Detroit. But one night I heard this incredible sound emanating from the 1.5" speaker of my small bedside radio. Of course back in those days (1970) they would play a ton of songs in a row and hardly ever announce what they were. This was the case that night. But the song stuck in my head and every night I longed to hear it again. A few months later when I was at the local high school for a summer drop in program they ran I heard this ominous organ music coming from the stereo they had set up. It grabbed me by the heart and wouldn't let go. I made my way to the record player and grabbed the album cover to see what it was all about. as soon as the Three Fates were over I put the record back on the first track and lo and behold it was the same song I had heard that late night, The Barbarian. Done, done and done, the hooks were in. I never looked back.
Now I remember I had also heard things like In the Court of the Crimson King and Pink Floyd's Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict as well, (a fascinating piece of audio for a 12 yr old to experience), but it was ELP that moved me like no other music had. And the rest as they say is history.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 12:54
The old dude leans on his cane and wheezes....

Back in my day, prog wasn't prog. There was either good music or bad music. I listened to Yes, Tull, King Crimson, ELP and Genesis right along with Sabbath, Floyd, The Allman Brothers, Bowie, The Doors, Hendrix and Zeppelin. It was all rock, with no delineation except it was good rock.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 14:04
^ This even older dude  agrees ....we just bought music we liked ,,,,didn't matter what we thought it was called. After buying a few 'prog bands' early on I just tended to like that style better but as Elf said we also listened to non prog classic rock and jazz ,etc. It all got played together at parties and gatherings.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 14:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Back in my day, prog wasn't prog. There was either good music or bad music. I listened to Yes, Tull, King Crimson, ELP and Genesis right along with Sabbath, Floyd, The Allman Brothers, Bowie, The Doors, Hendrix and Zeppelin. It was all rock, with no delineation except it was good rock.

Totally agreed - even the same bands ... almost (you forgot The Who, man, The Who)

Edited by Quinino - May 12 2018 at 14:53
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 15:21
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Totally agreed - even the same bands ... almost (you forgot The Who, man, The Who)
Yes, The Who...and The Beatles as well.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>