Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 15:40
1973 - A school friend gave me a C90 cassette tape with the UK top 10 on one side - including my favourite hit at the time - Rubber Bullets by 10cc. However, the other side of the tape was an untitled album which I Inadvertently put into the player after getting the sides mixed up. It was so different, so vibrant and truly great music. I asked my friend next day, what it was and he said - oh, that's Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon! The rest, as they say, is history..........
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 18:21
  I passed  my childhood listening with my father the masters of classical music (Mozart , Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorjak , Ketelbey and many others and some orchestral music arrangements recorded by Paul Mauriat and Frank Poucel ! Between these collection I find one album of  The  Ventures titled "Song of Joy (The Ventures Play the Classics) with Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaicovisky"s compositions with a very pop arrangements ! In these days I knew The Beatles, The Moody Blues, Cream and Mountain! Some years later my older cousin lends to me "The Yes album", "InThe Court...", "Tarkus" and some other progressive rock albums to me. After this progressive rock is my favorite music style !
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 18:48
Around 1982/83 I played my father's copy of "the Yes album" but it didn't do much for me. I heard "yours is no disgrace" on the radio also but it was just too jammy for me. I didn't get it at the time. Then maybe a year later 90125 came out and I got into Yes again. I suppose I knew they were the same band but at the time I thought it sounded like other stuff I was into such as Styx, Journey etc. I was into pop rock and didn't yet know about the prog stuff. Then I met kids at camp who were really into Yes and they heard me playing my 90125 tape. They helped me get more into Yes and told me about ELP and also the connection to Asia who I knew but didn't know at the time they were connected to Yes until they told me. Also, my cousin was into Genesis and also Yes and mentioned to me this band called King Crimson. My ex step mother bought me a guitar book that had Robert Fripp in it and I started to explore KC. At some point her brother who was a dj mentioned Gentle Giant to me and I eventually picked up some of their albums before the end of the eighties. Things just kind of snowballed from there. 
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 19:14
I used to say I liked Elton John in the 90s as a child, so my Dad recommended "I" buy "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." It starts with an amazing prog track. This is 1997. In 2001 maybe I first heard "Learning To Fly" from Pink Floyd, and despite some other incidental stuff in between 97-01, this is really the beginning of a huge interest in Prog Rock. By 2003 I was listening to most of the major bands, by 2007 pretty well rounded.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 00:02
Have to also say I have never thought some genre of music is better than other (also some genre worse than other). There just has always been artists that I think have a greater views & ideas of making music than others. The first bands that fascinated me were Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Sweet, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Ventures, Eddie Cochran, Dr. Feelgood, the Pirates, Johnny Winter, Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Doors. When I little bit later understood, that prog wasn´t that awful music as it was said into those times, I just started to listen also progartists, but also continued listen those others I also admired, also continued search great non-prog artists for example Free, Mott the Hoople, Dr. John etc.

Of course if I have to say which genre´s artists I listen the most, I think it will be prog and/or punk/new wave, but anyway genres just don´t matter to me.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 01:12
Rush
jonbirion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 02:25
i grew up listening to my parents beatles albums.
when i was 14 i bought the album paranoid but it had a scratch so i returnd to the vinyl shop and replaced the record. i said i want something with a lot of organ since i loved the sound.
trilogy was my first true prog album and the rest is history
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 03:01
1986 - borrowed Floyd ‘Live At Pompeii’ thinking it was The Wall performed live. Turned out to be totally inspirational and just the sort of music I was seeking. I was 14.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 13 2018 at 03:02
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 03:56
My brother had Dark Side of the Moon on 8 track
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 05:02
Thru this (mono, not stereo) - still have it and in working order Big smile

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 05:12
Later bought this beauty (stereo, not mono) - still have it and in working order Big smile

Now - this is progress !

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 17:42
I have two stories: One for getting into prog when I didn't know what "prog" was, and another about getting into prog as "prog".

The first Prog/Rush I ever heard was at about age 12-13 when a friend of a friend played a cassette of 2112. The hard riffing with a weird-sounding interposed Bible quote: "And the meek shall inherit the earth" and the naked guy in front of the pentagram kind of freaked me out, and I told them I thought it must be Satanic (grew up in a religious home).  But it wasn't long hanging out with these guys that I was really getting into other Rush, especially Moving Pictures, and I came around to 2112 fairly quickly. Yes 90125 was also a big early-teen music staple.

I'll save the other story for another post.

Z
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 20:44
I'm always curious as to how those under 25 get into prog. Is it through the classic bands(yes, elp, genesis, etc)or bands like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree or prog metal.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 13 2018 at 20:44
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinkyjoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 07:56
It was like grade 9 or 10..and I had listened to top 40 pop music on the radio for like a year or two and already grew tired of it. However, the one thing i did really like was genesis and peter gabriel, coupled with peter gabriel's videos.

After loving most of invisible touch, i got their 'other album', my first record.. Revelation. It was a surprising change of style :P
Then some like minded people and i started going to the closest cities record store and it just built from there.

Edited by Blinkyjoh - May 14 2018 at 07:57
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 10:24
 When I was about 10 or so I listened to some Yes & Renaissance that was in my brothers record collection. I liked the blending & classical & rock. the keyboards & the general out side the box sound of the music. Later rediscovered Yes along with Rush, Genesis,  ELP, Tull ( the usual suspects) After that I was hooked. 
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 11:38
I'm 48.  my journey to prog was slow and indirect.  Started with exposure to Pink Floyd and Supertramp from my father, plus a little Tull.  In my pre-teens, I discovered Rush.  My father started it with Moving Pictures.  Before this I was only aware of Rush through a radio edit of Spirit of Radio and was uninmpressed.  I sought out Signals and Exit, Stage Left on my own and some bigger seeds were planted before my interest in metal took over.  
Even then, proggy elements in metal attracted me through Iron Maiden and Queensryche.  The latter band did a major sound shift with Rage for Order.  It was not metal as I understood it and sometimes not metal at all, and I really got into it.  Operation Mindcrime was a life changer, but I only thought of it as 'thinking person's metal' lol.  
About this time also this time, 'Classic Rock' became a radio staple and often the only music my friends and I could agree on.  So, more exposure to Tull, Yes, ELP, early Genesis, etc along with the other AOR fare.  Over time, the progressive music tended to stick where my interest in more of the conventional sounds waned.
Then came Dream Theater with Images and Words and I became aware of this 'thing' called 'Progressive Metal.'  I loved it but had no peers with any interest.  So, apart from Queensryche and DT, this faded into the background for years.  I didn't have any drive to explore new music after a disappointing impression of Fate's Warning.  With few exceptions, I focused more on the heavier grunge and funk influenced metal bands like Living Colour, Rage, and Faith No More.  Nothing too radical but interesting twists on older sounds.
A long period of musical sameness ended with my own frustrated search for more progressive metal, along with meeting a woman into Tull, Peter Gabriel, Rush and Kate Bush.  i found Progarchives in a relatively blind online search and started exploring the more popular stuff in Progressive metal, Heavy Prog and more lately, Space Rock.  Since this time, there has been an explosion of new bands in my awareness and life is much richer.  :)  It's a shame I still have few friends who share my musical interests.

More heavy prog, please!
starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starless2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 19:47
I was already a classic rock fiend  by the time I was 14 when my brother asked me to videotape Pink Floyd's 1990 Knebworth MTV  performance for him. I watched it while I taped it and it blew me away. I became instantly smitten and proceeded to immerse myself in Pink Floyd lore. Through Pink Floyd and the Harvest label I discovered Canterbury Scene, Jazz Fusion and lots of  bands I never knew existed.
RomerilloLaMissFripp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RomerilloLaMissFripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 02:28
I grew up being a fan of classical music, and then once my family finally got internet when I was eleven I got into opera metal and hair metal, the phase didn't last long though. I wanted something *more*, but thought the complex kind of music that I envisioned in my mind didn't really exist.

I looked for it anyway, started moving towards stuff like Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, Steve Vai, Iron Maiden, Buckethead...and the ones that started it all, King Crimson. It was all thanks to Stephen King. I read somewhere that the Crimson King from the Dark Tower series was based on some songs from this band and I thought, well, why not check it out? What I first noticed was the length of the songs, just how I liked 'em, and then I actually *listened* to them and my life changed. I'd finally found what I was looking for.

It took a while to really get into the band and prog in general though. I'd been without internet for most of my life and didn't know you could look up albums and general info, and this kind of music is impossible to find in my country, not to mention it's considered satanic. So it was a slow burn as I learned how to look up music. There was a manga called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that I really liked, it had tons of references to western musicians and it kindda gave me the drive to really look for this stuff. I got *really* into psych/desert/doom rock and jazz fusion especially.

I'm not sure of how it happened, I had some serious issues in those years. I dropped out of school at thirteen and spent three years thinking I was fourteen, I don't remember a single thing from when I was fifteen but according to the dates on my computer I already had music from most of my favorite prog bands by then, and that was before I even knew of this site.

So sometime from 12-15 I got into prog through some serious interneting and determination brought on from reading Jojo. Smile I'm a whiz at finding music these days, and I take nights off to look for new stuff each week (this site helps a lot too). My favorite genres will always be psych, fusion and eclectic.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 02:43
Drugs
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 02:50
^^Your story is very interesting! Naturally for the reason I am a big fan both Stephen King (Dark Tower-serie is the most favourite of mine from him) & King Crimson, I think when I read the books I wondered was that Crimson King something to do with the band, but really hadn´t read anything about it anywhere (what I know King is more R¨N`R guy than prog guy). Also your history is kind of same as I had, Finland wasn´t very closed land in the eighties, but internet really wasn´t invented then. Only source to great music was the few Finnish language encyclopedias, also if I wanted to listen music, I had to buy it or borrowed from friends (there really wasn´t many who liked same music as I) or from the library, which collection was very limited. The great thing of course was I really listened those albums I got then.

But anyway it really would have felt you like going to the treasure forest after you had been able to go to the internet, that it felt to me in some year after 2010 when I really started to listen whole albums through internet!

Edited by Mortte - May 27 2018 at 02:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>