Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 04:45
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Drugs

Indeed. Peyote, Henry Cow and bungeejumping - preferably simultaneously.
That's only recently though...
We all started out infinitely more naive, the odd whiff of glue whilst overhearing a Katy Perry song slowed down a 1000 times or merely falling on a syringe at an experimental music festival.
All amounts to this fiendish lust for mellotrons and strangely concocted rhythms.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 04:50
^ David - cool, you got the joke !! (though them things sure helped.....)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 06:09

While people, hopefully, mature and move away from drugs (except for the legalized pot craze) I often laugh at the amount of prog listeners that alter their own histories and say they never once listened to Dark Side Of the Moon high.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 06:26
Guess I am very odd guy in this forum with this age, but I have never tried any drugs...not that I have had any "I want to be straight"-ideology, more that in my home village only drugs were tobacco, alcohol & snuff, only one of them that I was interested was alcohol. Later I just haven´t been interested.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 08:36
^ I should have said "except for those Vikings". Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 11:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Drugs

Indeed. Peyote, Henry Cow and bungeejumping - preferably simultaneously.
That's only recently though...
We all started out infinitely more naive, the odd whiff of glue whilst overhearing a Katy Perry song slowed down a 1000 times or merely falling on a syringe at an experimental music festival.
All amounts to this fiendish lust for mellotrons and strangely concocted rhythms.

...and don't tell me you never nibbled some ergot from granny's mouldy loaf and tripped balls to Third Ear Band.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 27 2018 at 11:46
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 12:18
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Guess I am very odd guy in this forum with this age, but I have never tried any drugs...not that I have had any "I want to be straight"-ideology, more that in my home village only drugs were tobacco, alcohol & snuff, only one of them that I was interested was alcohol. Later I just haven´t been interested.

You are not alone, Mortte. I've never taken drugs....although a pint of Real Ale (preferably IPA), a glass of an Aussie Shiraz or a single malt Islay Whisky are my little vices which make listening to some fine prog a very civilised affair of an evening! 🍺🍷
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Statutory-Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 15:05
My dad introduced me to Dream Theater & Porcupine Tree when I was around 12 years old. From that I discovered Opeth & i've been deep inside that rabbit hole ever since
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 15:06
No drugs, either (unless you count caffeine). Wait, Moog is a drug, right?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 15:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

While people, hopefully, mature and move away from drugs (except for the legalized pot craze) I often laugh at the amount of prog listeners that alter their own histories and say they never once listened to Dark Side Of the Moon high.

You won't hear me saying that. There was nothing quite like watching the 1960s Rankin-Bass stop-motion "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" on mescaline. Bumbles do indeed bounce.

Oh wait, you were talking about Floyd. Never mind.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 17:00
I want to be a dentist.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 17:05
I'm independent! 

Yeah? Me too! I'm...whatever you said...in-de-pen-dent.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 17:13
No drugs for me either. I guess I always assumed most prog fans were rather straight laced and while many are it has occurred to me also that many aren't. I view it as a conformity kind of thing at least to some degree. I  would possibly do certain things in certain situations but I'm not the kind of person to go out of my way or look for it. I don't really have any stories to tell because of it except for one time I got drunk and listened to Anekdoten. I might have to try that again at some point. LOL. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 17:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No drugs for me either. I guess I always assumed most prog fans were rather straight laced and while many are it has occurred to me also that many aren't. I view it as a conformity kind of thing at least to some degree. I  would possibly do certain things in certain situations but I'm not the kind of person to go out of my way or look for it. I don't really have any stories to tell because of it except for one time I got drunk and listened to Anekdoten. I might have to try that again at some point. LOL. 

That's okay, clearly you didn't grow up in the 60s or 70s. Prog and rock in general was nonconformist and rebellious; hence we made that a great excuse for getting high. Wink

Actually, I am still shocked I made it out of my teens.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 20:38
No, I didn't. I was a teen in the eighties. I was a loner anyway. Still pretty much still am though so that wouldn't have made a difference regardless even if I was "old enough."
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 00:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ I should have said "except for those Vikings". Wink
Vikings? I know you´re joking but Finnish have had nothing to do with Vikings. Or are you meaning your comment something David said? Naturally Finnish people used to be at least almost as mad as Vikings.
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 18:30
My older sister of 4 years was listening to 'Pictures at an Exhibition' by ELP and I was smitten. One day I became a friend to someone who loved Pink Floyd. The roll never stopped after that.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 19:40
I’d been skating on the mainstream edges of prog most of my life (Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, etc), but I think it was once I learned to appreciate Yes, ELP, Genesis (Hackett albums and prior; I was already a fan of their pop albums) and King Crimson, that kind of opened the doors a bit. Learned about less well-known bands by reading Rolling Stone Record Guide (which generally rated stuff like Gentle Giant fairly low but I took no heed to their warnings) and reading liner notes of CDs I’d bought. I discovered the entire Canterbury scene via some liner notes from a Camel CD.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 28 2018 at 19:41
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 21:02
When you hear it enough times, you start to develop Stockholm Syndrome.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 01:21
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

When you hear it enough times, you start to develop Stockholm Syndrome.

roflmao
best answer here :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>