Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 09:59
I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and I always liked bands like Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Rush, early Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, The Who, Talking Heads, Roxy Music, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. And then: in a record store I found a various artists compilation entitled "Progression: A Progressive Rock Anthology" with a few very familiar names on it, bought it and my journey of discovery went on from there.
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankstatement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 20:13
I didn't experience the "golden era of prog" in the 70s, nor did my family or friends listen to prog. I think most of why I got into it was radio exposure to some prog artists that had somewhat "big" hits, like Yes, Peter Gabriel/Genesis, and Pink Floyd. I liked their more accessible songs so I checked out all of their discography, and stumbled upon prog albums I really liked. I think the moment I realized that I wanted to explore more prog was when I heard Foxtrot by Genesis. I was confused the first time I heard it, since it wasn't what I was expecting from Peter Gabriel or Genesis, but eventually I grew to really love it and I was inspired to explore the genre.
Lewian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 05:01
At the age of 8 or 9, my mother took me to the cinema to watch the Yellow Submarine film. I absolutely loved it and became an instant Beatles fan, although at the time it was only the Beatles (and some Abba and other stuff that was around at the time). At 10 I thought that I had grown out of it, sold all my Beatles albums and was interested in other things than music, as proper grown up people are. Tongue Worst mistake of my life. Anyway, for  two years or so I didn't miss my music.

At 12 my father played Watch by Manfred Mann's Earthband in the car (he just grabbed a tape that was sitting around there, he didn't even know this was MMEB and told me initially that it was Elton John, who actually was on the other side of the tape; he himself wasn't very interested in rock music although he had a few good albums from a wilder past) and I was totally stunned. This was really the one moment that made me a music lover for the rest of my life. I started to go to flea markets and to find out about all kinds of music that could excite me as much as Watch did; much of it was prog (I discovered Pink Floyd only days later), despite this being the time, 1979, when prog was in general decline. Actually I got into some end 70s/early 80s new wave and post punk music in parallel. They can happily exist side by side.

Edited by Lewian - June 14 2018 at 05:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic