Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:29
It was around in 68-69 when I started buying more LPs. Finnish bands and Zappa's Hot Rats. I used to go to a supermarket/discount store with my mom while she was still learning to drive. I was in college. Anyway, there was a bin of cutouts I bought for 1-2 dollars, UK bands that did not sell well. I got Gentle Giant, The Nice and a bunch of lesser bands that way. First bands seen in this order
1 Wigwam and Family, same festival in Finland during summer spent there
2 Jethro Tull
3 Genesis
4 Gentle Giant
5 Zappa
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 08:22
Through my mothers. They have a huge musical collection which is not sorted by genre at all. So you will, for example, find Mozart next to Mother Gong or Beethoven next to the Beatles.

Since they collect all kinds of music - rock music (not only prog), jazz, ethnic music, classical music (including opera), chansons (regardless what language, but mostly French, Italian and German), ancient music, klezmer and whatnot - and also play music themselves my sister and I grew up with a wide scope of music. Prog is just a small part of it.

Edited by AliceBaldieDaughter - October 27 2018 at 08:24
DorothyBaldieFille View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyBaldieFille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 09:31

I would like to add that my mothers have an odd way of choosing which music to play next (sometimes I ask myself if there is anything pertaining to them that is not odd). New additions to their collection are listened to a few times until they have formed an opinion of it (this is probably what everyone does).

But usually they let the computer pick a random album from the database and listen to it in completeness, regardless of how they like the music. If the computer picks a “Complete Works” edition of some composer consisting of ten or more CDs they listen to all of them. So you never know what kind of music will come up next, which certainly broadens the listening experience.

Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:58
I originally found prog through Iron Maiden, with songs like Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Hallowed Be Thy Name greatly interesting me due to their longer lengths. From here, I decided to look for some other long songs and came across Dream Theater's Octavarium, which intrigued me for the band's name, the interesting album cover, and the 24 minute length of the song. I fell in love with parts of this song extremely quickly, and decided to check out some of their other works, only to be surprised by how long their average songs were, intriguing me greatly about the world of prog music. From there, I found a great deal out about the genre and have enjoyed listening to it ever since.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 21:42
Through Yes and King Crimson then Genesis right after. Things snowballed from there. For me it was more about reading about these bands in a rock encyclopedia book than just listening to the radio in part because this was the eighties and there wasn't much prog on the radio at the time(just the classic stuff).
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 11:59
For me, I have to credit my 3 of my cousins, who lived directly across the street from my family when I was very young. They introduced me to music (in general), electric guitars, & even quadraphonic music...

Through them, I was introduced to Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Yes, Led Zeppelin, etc.

I adored them all (especially Yes), but nothing could have prepared me for the absolute majesty of
King Crimson
's "The Court of the Crimson King" (The song). 

It was 1969, I was four years old, the music was loud, and this MONSTER came roaring out of the speakers that absolutely captivated whilst it simultaneously horrified me.

Literally, "The Court of the Crimson King" scared me. Like a horror movie does to some people...
The first time I heard it, I was so scared by it's power, I was literally crying and begged my cousin to turn it off... (Remember, I was four when this happened.)

But, I was hooked. After the initial shock wore off, repeated listenings just made me love it more and more.
The vocal harmonies in the chorus still give me chills that make my neck and arm hair stand up and point at the moon...

The album is justifiably an essential, classic, must have in your collection 5+++ from alpha to omega (α to ω), beginning to end.
But this was the song that burst the floodgates and sent me on this wondrous odyssey into progressive music...

Edited by Cylli Kat - November 03 2018 at 13:21
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:32
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

When you hear it enough times, you start to develop Stockholm Syndrome.

roflmao
best answer here :)

You two just made me bust a gut laughing! Thanks! LOL
My intro to prog was a bit traumatic, so Stockholm Syndrome may not be too far off the mark!

Great post and reply.
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 13:56
Through my buddy's older brother.
He played Tarkus and To our children children children a lot.
Good start I think.:)
Shake & bake.
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 05:22
I got introduced to prog in the late 80's, by workmates at the first place i worked. I was given a few Pink Floyd records and they just blew me away, and quickly Floyd became my favourite group (even managed to see them on their Delicate Sound OF Thunder world tour).

Of course at the time I had no idea what "progressive" music was, and I just thought Pink Floyd was just regular rock, albeit, to my ears, simply "better".

Fast forward to 1996 and I still had no idea what prog was, nor had my musical tastes expanded much beyond Floyd, Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Who, Stones etc. That was when I purchased a book by Pete Frame called "Rock Family Trees".

Even though I barely knew any bands mentioned in it, it was still a good read, but the last family tree in the book was what truly made me discover prog. It was the family tree of a group I'd never heard of, called Asia, and it mentioned a lot of other groups I'd also never heard of, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, UK etc, labelling them all "progressive rock".

But what got me interested was a simple comment regarding Rick Wakemans move to Yes. Pete simply wrote "Critics labelled them overblown and pretentious, yet they were more popular than ever".

That single comment sparked my curiosity, and prompted me to go out and buy something from this group Yes, just to hear it. Thankfully my local store had a few CD's, and I picked up the one with the most interesting cover, and that just happened to be Fragile Big smile

It was prog all the way after that!
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 13:25
Originally posted by Cylli Kat Cylli Kat wrote:

I adored them all (especially Yes), but nothing could have prepared me for the absolute majesty of <font size="3" color="#FF0000">
King Crimson
's "The Court of the Crimson King" (The song). 

It was 1969, I was four years old, the music was loud, and this MONSTER came roaring out of the speakers that absolutely captivated whilst it simultaneously horrified me.

Literally, "The Court of the Crimson King" scared me. Like a horror movie does to some people...

I first heard that song as an adult. While I can't say it scared me, it did leave me a tad unsettled. I thought to myself, "They were doing THAT in the 60s??"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 14:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't remember, I've slept since then........

I remember now, I was locked in a basement and forced to listen to this krapp 24/7/365......I still see a therapist about it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 08:57
I guess it probaby started with War of the Worlds when I was about 10. Then along came The Wall by Pink Floyd, then I immersed myself in heavy metal until a friend leant me Exit Stage..Left by Rush. Then I heard Genesis on the radio, got into Marillion, and by then the damage was done.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 16:35
I must thank the italian Enciclopedia Curcio: Grande storia del Rock, 4 voll.

Reading it, I discover a lot of musicians of Sixties and Seventies, and my interest fall on 
Van der Graaf for the electric saxophone, King Crimson for the violin etc...

The, years later, a friend of mine put on the stereo some Van der Graaf disc...
"Happiness is real only when shared"
rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 17:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I can honestly say that I have never been into "prog".

I have been a great listener to music since at least 1960, with lots of classical music, and then came the Beatles and Rolling Stones, and a lot of Brazilian artists ... I'm still wondering how/what people call "prog" since its definition is a total mess!

I agree. I think Prog has come to be too narrowly defined. Having had the experience of seeing how the Beatles truly created new possibilities for music, progressive music has always seemed limitless to me. King Crimson, Can, Yes, Tull, Happy the Man, Genesis (both UK and Colombian) Le Orme, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Goblin, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Seru Giran, Modulo 1000, Anacrusa, 0.720 Aleacion, Magma (both France and Argentina)...the boundaries of progressive music are boundless. Some Prog "purists" might be pleasantly surprised by broadening their horizons.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 17:41
I disagree. I think if anything prog is now too broadly defined. It seems like almost anything that is either over five minutes long or has a keyboard solo in it is considered prog these days. It's gotten a bit silly imo. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 27 2018 at 17:42
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 13:35
I thought I had already posted here, but it seems not so. So here's how I got into prog.

It is a rather complex story, there was no single "moment". One factor was that an unmarried younger brother of my father lived in the room next to mine (I grew up in a rural three-generation household), and he listened to a lot of 70s rock, including prog (as I found out later, browsing his record collection), and thus the rock heroes of the 70s provided the soundtrack to the adventures of my LEGO starships. Then, in 7th grade (1982), we had a young, progressive music teacher in school who made a unit about "original and adaptation" using Mussorgski's Pictures at an Exhibition, and so I had my first encounter with ELP. However, the synth version by Isao Tomita impressed me more (I was into electronic music at that time), and it went onto my Christmas wishlist (and I got it).

But I had a few friends in school who would go on and get more ELP albums and later various others, and these introduced me to Rush, Marillion and Asia. And my brother introduced me to Pink Floyd. In the early 90s, as a computer science student, I already was on the Internet, and joined the rec.music.progressive and alt.music.rush Usenet newsgroups. These newsgroups, together with a handbill handed out at a Rush concert in Hannover 1992, introduced me to a vast universe of prog bands, names such as Dream Theater, IQ, Pendragon and yet others. I noticed that prog was not just a matter of a few 70s bands and even fewer 80s bands, but a vivid genre which was still very alive far away from the mainstream. So much fantastic music to discover!

This was how I got into prog.

Edited by WeepingElf - December 09 2018 at 13:37
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 07:25
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

I passed  my childhood listening with my father the masters of classical music (Mozart , Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorjak , Ketelbey and many others and some orchestral music arrangements recorded by Paul Mauriat and Frank Poucel 

You really ought to listen to Rachel Flowers do her piano (or organ) versions of the work of Keith Emerson and/or ELP.

By the time you hear the complete TARKUS on piano, you will probably find that Keith was just as good a composer as any one that you mention above, and that your father would have to listen to it as well ... modern piano music at its very best ... and there's no way that you can look at Keith as anything else but a master of classical music ... in our time, "classical music" does not exist ... it's all electric now and will be for the foreseeable future!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 08:12
Through the front door via DSOTM in 1973, when our music teacher at school played parts of it for us.  
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 08:04
One of my friends sugessted me Pink Floyd - The Division Bell, and she insisted that I would love it. I bought its original casette in or around the year it was out. I loved High Hopes, (it is still one of my favourite songs) yet I found the album generally boring, as I was more into metal and hard&heavy stuff then.

As for being geniunely interested in prog music, it began with buying Dream Theater - Awake album around the year 1997. Being into prog rock more diversely realized in the first years of the new millennium.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 09:30
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

One of my friends sugessted me Pink Floyd - The Division Bell, and she insisted that I would love it. I bought its original casette in or around the year it was out. I loved High Hopes, (it is still one of my favourite songs) yet I found the album generally boring, as I was more into metal and hard&heavy stuff then.

As for being geniunely interested in prog music, it began with buying Dream Theater - Awake album around the year 1997. Being into prog rock more diversely realized in the first years of the new millennium.

The Divison Bell is quite boring. I too got it on cassette. I also got the first Dream Theater album on cassette When Dream And Day Unite, which I absolutely love. One of the best prog metal albums ever made but after that they changed the singer and I didn't like the new singer's voice so I didn't bother with them anymore.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>