Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 17:59
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Polo's Lair Polo's Lair wrote:

A piece of music came on over my high school general announcement speakers....some fellow student had a show at lunchtime... can t remember if this was common at the time. I was blown away, and had to find out what it was. Ended up being Close to the Edge. From then my love spread like wild fire.

A school that plays "Close to the Edge" over the PA system!  Now that's what I call an education. 
Sounds like the best school on the planet!

"Close to the Edge" is the ultimate introduction to prog rock and it's easy to appreciate how it would make anyone fall instantly in love with the amazing music that we get to listen to.

Thanks for sharing your story.  Happy proggin!

Hearing CTTE over the PA at your school is legendary status.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 12:38
From my father. I was de-virginfied by second hand listen to my Father listening to Dark side of the moon. Funny thing is i dont even like Pink FLoyd anymore i listened to their stuff to much now i am bored whenever i listen to them. Indeed.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 03:41
I'm born in 66 and I'm the youngest among my brothers and cousins and I grew up hearing all the albums they played at home, Beatles, Stones, The Who, ELP, Yes, PF, Oldfield, Zepp, Purple, Queen... Tarkus used to be my favourite album when I was a kid.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 09:04
Similar to some above, I am lucky to have been an active listener and concert-goer from the early days of progressive music.  Introduced to all sorts of music in a musical family with deep roots in San Pedro, CA. My Great Aunt was the music teacher for Los Angeles Schools in the 1920's and 1930's.  My mother loved early rock 'n' roll, like Jerry Lee Lewis, R&B and "blue-eyed soul."  So we heard lots of classical music and all of the latest rock/popular music and Motown, etc from the time I can remember hearing anything.  Then came the British Invasion and the early garage bands....

I can remember seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, although I was but 6.  My two older sisters distributed flyers and posters for The Bank in Torrance, CA, where Pink Floyd played during a US tour in 1968.  Their involvement piqued my interest in psychedelia, (at one point I was the psychedelic buyer for a used record store in the early 80's).  My first concert was The Moody Blues, with Spirit and Trapeze opening at The Forum in 1970. Prog was what all of the most interesting music was morphing into, just a part of my life, as I found my set of music fiends (and friends).  I even married a progressive musician and never regretted a minute of it.  

Still true today, I love all kinds of music, deep roots in progressive, psychedelic, singer/songwriter/folk and world/fusion (not much new age, however, unless it's kind of edgy), classical.  I play the harp, so have really enjoyed both the classics on that instrument and what fresh minds have been bringing to the table with it since Alan Stivell and the advent of the electric harp.  

I'm enjoying the further discoveries from discussions here with so many of like-minded open-minded open-eared progressive fans and creators.  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:57
My father introduced me to the classic prog bands as a child.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 12:16
Rush and Metallica.

I honestly discovered the art of serious music listening on my own accord.
One of the best discoveries I’ve ever done.

🫶🏼
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 13:37

After hearing friends talking about some bands, and not least by wanted to listen to and buying albums because I liked the artwork.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Error Code 864G View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Error Code 864G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 13:43
I got into it because of a random youtube recommendation I got of King Crimson's first album.
A Human Being, Existing.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 14:00
I got into prog?! Confused Evil Smile
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 14:40
Listening to 'Meddle' at a school friend's house (circa 1972) which got me into the Floyd of course, and was my gateway into the wider genre known as prog. At that time there there was no music listening equipment in my parents' home other than a radio, as they had no interest in music whatsoever.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 15:03

And not least because I became fond of instrumental music which was the first kind of Prog I really got into.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789