Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PROGDAY 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 14:00
Was great to meet the two of you!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 14:39
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I'm still away from home so I can only post short messages via my cell phone, so I'll make this short...

Thanks to the organizers (Michael B. and company) for another tremendous show. Special thanks to the ProgDay'ers who made my wife and I feel at home: Ian, Michael & Raph, Connie & the Captain, Chris B., and numerous others whose names slipped thru the gaping sieve I call a memory. Thanks to you we all had a great time and plan to return next year (health and well being permitting).

I'll post some observations about the bands next week when we return home and I have a full size keyboard and fonts readable without a magnifying glass.

Mark and Shirley

f**king Captcha... 

anyhow..   it was a real pleasure to meet the two of you. A real highlight of the weekend is the friends. Seeing old ones, meeting new ones.  Hopefully next year we can get the two of you in on our dinner party set.  This year wasn't quite as wild, the heat man, but we still rocked it.   Got the chance to eat and talk with Par Lindh.  I guess he had heard how rocking our dinners were and invited himself to join us haha.  Helluva guy, real sweetheart. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:30
Had a fine time with you nutters. It was another great festival, and I went in knowing none of the bands (though I’d heard great things about Redfearn, the others were complete unknowns to me). It’s a great place to discover many groups just on the brink of what passes for Fame in the prog rock world.

Glad as always to see everyone. This is only my 3rd visit (in a row!) to PD since the first few in the 90s. Glad I could finally make it back. Had to gently convince my extended family to hold their annual get-together on a different weekend. Turns out my wife was of a similar mind; she had always wanted to go to Dragon Con in Atlanta that weekend. So we co-conspired to make it happen.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 08 2018 at 15:31
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 09:10
OK, so this is a little late, but it's been a real roller coaster ride after ProgDay... vacation in Asheville, broken transmission on my car, funeral for a best friend in PA, and my 60th BD party. But here are my observations regarding this year's lineup at ProgDay...

None of the bands were known to me prior to their announcement for ProgDay (except for Par Lindh who I only knew from last year's ProgDay announcement). As I usually do, I listened to samples wherever I could find them, and formed some opinion of whether I would enjoy their performance or not. Oddly (or maybe not) most of my preconceived notions were completely turned around!  Bands that I thought I would love to hear live were disappointing, and bands that I didn't really care for became my favorites of the show.  A brief synopsis...

Ovrfwrd - I liked (and purchased) two of their studio albums, but their live performance left me wanting. They came across a little bit like a garage band or a jam band. Their compositions didn't shine as much as on their studio albums. Not as tight. But I still dig their music, and enjoy their studio work.

Par Lindh - Wow, what can be said? Fantastic keys, and a breadth of styles including classical, prog, blues, honky tonk, rag time, etc. His tribute to Emerson was touching.

Pixie Ninja - I didn't care for their studio work, so I took the opportunity to cool off in an air conditioned car.  I missed a lot of their performance. From what I did see, I really liked the bass guitar.

Karmic Juggernaut - This band was the big surprise for me.  After listening to some of their studio albums, I thought I would not enjoy their performance. Exactly the opposite happened! For me, it was the best performance of the weekend. Great bass, guitar, flute, vocals. Intriguing compositions. And the Cookie Monster sang! I'm looking for their setlist so I can buy the appropriate albums.

Soften the Glare - I loved Bon Lozaga's work with Pierre Moerlen, but his performance just didn't grab my attention.  On the other side of the stage, however, the bassist just blew me away!  I couldn't stop focusing on him the whole performance. Bright red hair aside -- the dude can wail on the bass. I gotta find some more of his work.

King Llama - Didn't care for them before. Don't care for them now. I thought they were just loud and noisy. No finesse. But that's just my ignorant opinion...

Alec K. Redfern - Another band that I thought I would not like (I'm not a big fan of RIO-type prog, but I do enjoy some now and then). They were absolutely captivating!  If someone asked my to describe their music I'd have to say "Klaus Schultz got together with Frank Zappa to play some zydeco music". On my purchase list now.

GEPH - I kinda liked these guys going in, and feel the same way now.  I like their heavy dark prog, but it comes across as a little noisy at times. A little more finesse in their dynamics would have sold me completely.

Fernando Perdoma - I like Fernando's personality, but I didn't find his guitar work particularly engaging. I liked his work with Dave Kerzner, so in fairness, I should give him another listen (or two).

Edensong - I absolutely love their studio albums, but their live performance was lackluster. I think they suffered from being the last band to perform while half the audience was either gone, or tearing down. I left my canopy and chairs untouched until they finished, BTW. The threat of a thunderstorm didn't help, and I think they were really hurt by the (bad) mixing job.  Whether it was their fault, or the mixer's, I don't know. I couldn't hear the keyboards or Koto. What a shame. Their studio work is still one of my recent favorites though!

All in all, my wife and I had a great time. Heard some new music. Made some new friends. She's already talking about attending next year! Woo hoo!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12