4 [7.69%]
1 [1.92%]
3 [5.77%]
7 [13.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 09:26
I have a version on some cassette lying around that was a purely acapella version of Leave It.  I think they just removed all the instrumentation.  It was damn cool.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 10:51
This album WAS Yes for me as an early teen, except for the occasional listening of Roundabout or I've Seen All Good People on classic rock radio stations (the only other Yes songs they ever played besides Owner of a Lonely Heart).

And I still like and listen to the album on occasion, although I usually skip Owner of a Lonely Heart as the one song that is way too poppy and historically overplayed. 

Very close between Changes and Cinema for me, but I chose Cinema because its a great hard/atmostpheric jam, of which I've always enjoyed repeated listenings. 
Z
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 11:20
"Changes" and "It Can Happen" for a tie.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 11:52
'Changes' closely followed by 'It Can Happen'. However, a mention in dispatches for 'Cinema' - a nice, short instrumental blast from the guys.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 12:51
I figured Changes would take the lead.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 13:17
Changes.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 13:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

'It Can Happen' from what I remember. Lovely sitar work.

Exactly!  I think Rabin may have been playing a Coral Electric Sitar (basically a sitar-guitar hybrid), or perhaps a heavily processed electric guitar.  
Yeah,  I don't think it's an actual sitar. 
Dipak Khazanchi credited for both sitar and tambura on track 3.

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 13:37
(The only good Rabin LP.)
Changes!!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 16:19
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

I have a version on some cassette lying around that was a purely acapella version of Leave It.  I think they just removed all the instrumentation.  It was damn cool.

I think it's called "twelve inches on tape" and it's just a version of leave it if I'm not mistaken. 
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 23:11
Changes. Always love it, plus the title is genius.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 15:56
City of Love... City of Love... City of Love...

Well, that's what I voted for, but Owner of a Lonely Heart is what I play most often.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 19:01
I voted for "hearts" because it's kind of like a mini "awaken." 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 00:06
I love the whole album
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 03:02
I've always liked this album. Hearts is my favorite track, followed closely by Changes and It Can Happen.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:54
Our Song, for a better balance of votes. 

It took time for me to fully enjoy that one because of the ordinary ingredients, and also it starts less brilliantly than Leave It finishes. But it is a tornado, though it balances the nag feel into calming down and dividing the beats between rushes. The short guitar solo is as superb as Hearts'... As the whole moment of Hearts' guitar solo, plus how that part is brought = Winner !

Cinema: best thrillers demand way more time for similar thrills... 
Owner for the groove, one personal groove reference
Leave It for the variety of ingredients, very groovy also
Hold On the bizarre mix of cool guitar hero sound and weird, almost burlesque use of voices and 6/8 beat
It Can Happen and Changes unequal fun but quite cool parts
City Of Love funny as it refers to the lust business with girls dressed in typical fashion of 80s 

This album is progged power pop rather than prog but a total personal reference and stand out, early-mid 80s as I enjoyed them best 

Edited by jayem - June 04 2018 at 16:58
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 16:45
Cam'ron & A-Track felt closer to Our Song's vertical feel (2/2 bars) than boogie (4/4 bars) feel of the original

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 18:12
No offense to those who are into rap but do these rappers even know what they are sampling or do the producers just pull stuff out of the archives or something? 

There's even a rap song that samples "Without Hope You Cannot Start the Day" from Union where they speed up Jon Anderson's voice(maybe so he can't sue?). I don't know. It just seems like sampling has gotten out of hand. Also, is it just Yes or are a lot of rock bands sampled?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 16 2018 at 18:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 08:28
Changes and Owner are the two songs I still appreciate from this album. I have loved Changes to pieces for most of my life but these days Owner is pretty much on a par, it's just so sharp and well done (if you don't expect music to be "proggy").
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:28

I quite like this album. There are many great moments throughout, but I choose Changes as the favourite song.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 15:25
I guess Chnges 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>