Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CAN vs. Tangerine Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: How spaced out do you want to get tonight?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [46.15%]
28 [53.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 09:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Tangerine Dream.  I prefer dreamy over wakey
I feel you, but, to be honest, for me, Can's "Mushroom" sounds like the most extraordinary, ridiculous, far-out dream I could ever wish to have. 

Edited by ALotOfBottle - May 17 2018 at 09:15
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 15:24
Can 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 16:56
Can. 

Damn. I always seem to be on the wrong side of these polls.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 02:48
TD all the way.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 20:50
Can... it's all about the grooves.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

Can. 

Damn. I always seem to be on the wrong side of these polls.

there is no wrong side or right side of polls :))
just saying
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 01:58
^there are people who like to win.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 14:06
Few months ago, Can easily. But today...
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 21:19
Well, Can is much more variable than TD. The best Can is better than anything by TD. But the worst Can (for instance, the aptly titled "Aumgn") is worse than, well almost anything (and I like Can). 

If voting for which band has (say) the three most innovative and interesting tunes, I would vote Can. If voting for the band that has recorded the most hours of quality music, I have to vote TD.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 23:06
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

Well, Can is much more variable than TD. The best Can is better than anything by TD. But the worst Can (for instance, the aptly titled "Aumgn") is worse than, well almost anything (and I like Can). 

If voting for which band has (say) the three most innovative and interesting tunes, I would vote Can. If voting for the band that has recorded the most hours of quality music, I have to vote TD.

To me whole Tago-Mago is genius piece, also those most experimental pieces, greatest album of theirs!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 07:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

TD have a handful of truly brilliant groundbreaking albums so it's hard to vote against them but I'd vote against anyone for Can.
Something like that yes.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 21 2018 at 11:28
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:20

I totally get not being into "Aumgn." It's not one of my favorites on Tago Mago, obviously. I think it's best heard in the context of the whole record, start to finish. The first side of the album is surely the most accessible, but I feel like the music gets more and more difficult until the very end with "Bring Me Coffee or Tea."

Even though Tago Mago is a totally unique and incredible album in its own right, I always preferred Ege Bamyasi for those sweet sweet grooves and some of the weird humor. It's somewhat of a lighter affair. Tago always felt like the bottom of the abyss to me, which is not a mood I'm in quite as often.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:27
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Few months ago, Can easily. But today...

What happened?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:34
Originally posted by iancat87 iancat87 wrote:

I totally get not being into "Aumgn." It's not one of my favorites on Tago Mago, obviously. I think it's best heard in the context of the whole record, start to finish. The first side of the album is surely the most accessible, but I feel like the music gets more and more difficult until the very end with "Bring Me Coffee or Tea."

Even though Tago Mago is a totally unique and incredible album in its own right, I always preferred Ege Bamyasi for those sweet sweet grooves and some of the weird humor. It's somewhat of a lighter affair. Tago always felt like the bottom of the abyss to me, which is not a mood I'm in quite as often.
I'll admit I sometimes skip Aumgn myself... if I'm not in the mood - or don't want get into that mood. I'd never skip Halleluhwah though.  

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 15:42
TD now
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 07:29
Both of these bands bore me to tears but Can at least had a little bit of rock in their DNA.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 07:40
^ "Electronic Meditation", "Cyclone" and "Force Majeure" have plenty of Rock, but in other cases they don't need electric guitars nor drums to do it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 09:37
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Both of these bands bore me to tears but Can at least had a little bit of rock in their DNA.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 10:09
What happened ?

I don't know. I did not like TD or Froese or Schulze. Today my nights belong to them. The unpredictable magic of music.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

What happened ?

I don't know. I did not like TD or Froese or Schulze. Today my nights belong to them. The unpredictable magic of music.

Completely captured my thoughts on TD. I've ignored them over the years based on their '80's output. Now TD, early Kitaro, with John Cage and some of the quieter ECM stuff sprinkled in has become the hypnotic gateway to sleep.

Can, on the other hand, has never held my interest. Maybe I will give it a try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>