Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similar to 'Filaments' by Robert rich?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar to 'Filaments' by Robert rich?
    Posted: May 16 2018 at 13:00
I really enjoy Robert Rich's 'Filaments' album, and wondered if anyone could recommend something similar, by Rich or any artist.

To me it has sufficient structure to remain interesting, without it being too intrsuive. Most of the other Rich albums I have heard are either much more ambient, or more tribal/percussive (rather like Steve Roach in this way). Perhaps 'Electric Ladder' is the closest of the ones I own, but there are a lot I haven't heard properly.

Assume I've heard all TD and Klaus Schulze.

If it's of any use, I'm also a big fan of Marconi Union, so music anywhere between those poles might be of interest.

Cheers
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 13:39
I really like that album a lot. Maybe it's because it reminds me of two old school albums I love? It's not that they sound alike, or maybe they do actually, but both Anna Själv Tredje's Tussilago Fanfara and Pascal Comelade's Fluence share that wafting presence due to dove-like guitars and floating synths n organs(The latter sees a young Richard Pinhas doing a Jerry Garcia a la Zabriskie Point...in his own very charming way.). Something I also hear a lot of in Filaments, but updated to the max.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 16 2018 at 13:47
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 14:16
The only Robert Rich I've heard was Numena but really liked it. That was a long time ago though. I even met the guy once.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 11:17
Perhaps not an answer to my own question - but a somewhat similar album which I rate very highly is

Below the Mountain - Craig Padilla

Padilla has a bit of a reputation for being new-age, and yes he really did name his daughters Melodee and Harmonee, ferchrisake - but 'Below the Mountain' is more Berlin School than TD has been since 'Stratosfear'.

I like most of his other albums, but this one is quite unique, and I think if you like 'Filaments', you may like it.
 Post Reply Post Reply